Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Frankenstein: The Cook Kit. Questions / Comments / Critisms welcome

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daniel Fish
(daniel@fishfamilypdx.com)

Locale: PDX
... on 03/13/2013 15:55:41 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 10:51:14 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Frankenstein: The Cook Kit. Questions / Comments / Critisms welcome on 03/13/2013 16:10:33 MDT Print View

Whoah! Good outside the box thinking.

Now to get Four Dogs to make one of his little stoves with the fan-like air intake in the bottoms for even more efficiency. You might be able to use wood as well.

I wonder how the Jetboil would work with one of the Ikea utensil holders? If it nests, you could use the tent stake trick and height adjustment would be dead simple.

What's the outside diameter on a Jetboil pot?

Edited by dwambaugh on 03/13/2013 20:04:04 MDT.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Re: Frankenstein: The Cook Kit. Questions / Comments / Critisms welcome on 03/13/2013 16:20:20 MDT Print View

FYI, the doctor is (Victor) Frankenstein, the monster is just called the "daemon," "hideous progeny," "the creature," or some other fun Gothic epithets. It's also quite lithe and powerful, not lumbering at all like in the movies. So----you are an innovative, overly enthusiastic scientist who damns nature by joining that which should not be joined. Pretty cool, in my opinion.

Also, you get to call your stove system daemonic.

Edited by GlacierRambler on 03/13/2013 16:21:01 MDT.

Daniel Fish

... on 03/13/2013 22:45:14 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/11/2013 12:57:26 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Esbit+Jetboil, no windscreen, no potstand...crazy on 03/13/2013 23:12:16 MDT Print View

I was thinking more like the pot stand shown below. Imagine a stand made to fit the Jetboil with good airflow from the bottom.

Esbit stove set

Search on "ikea woodstove" and you'll see lots of examples. The unaltered Ikea holder is 114mm/4.5" ID at the top and there is a rolled lip that could be removed to add a bit more. In fact the Ikea holder should be cut down to save weight, leaving enough for the optimum burning height for Esbit fuel and holder. I think it would work sweet with an alcohol burner too.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

re: Frankenstein: The Cook Kit. on 03/13/2013 23:23:35 MDT Print View

Interesting, Daniel. I also have a AL Sol pot, which I was going to pair with a Monatauk Gnat stove/canister (not my idea, modeled after another BPL's tinkering). I just haven't gotten around to it.

2 ideas:

(1) you might want to remove the neoprene sleeve. I'm speculating here, but the potential for it to catch fire seems greater in with any stove other than one is it designed for. It will also be lighter. However, you then need to come up another way to grab the pot. Silicone bands on the pot, silicone sewing fingers covers, wool gloves, etc.

(2) There are several clear plain plastic lids that fit the Sol pot well; Trader Joe's Oatmeal can lids work well. I have a few if you want one. I won't cook with it, but it drops a little weight.

Tim Anderson
(tim@bikeswitzerland.com) - F
neoprene sleeve on 03/14/2013 03:05:27 MDT Print View

I don't think you need to remove the whole sleeve, you could probably just cut off the lower inch or so (2.5 cm) and cover the edge with aluminum tape for good measure. to take it even further, you could make a small cozy cup that would cover the bottom part up to where you cut the neoprene.
I like the simplicity of the "system" in the video link where the guy tested directly on the ground over an esbit. You should do some boil tests to see if a tab will boil your 2.5 cups on a single cube, since you don't plan on using the left over cubes anyway.
takeC@re,
Tim

Cam Baker
(Trail_Turkey) - F
Good ideas, poor wilderness ethics on 03/14/2013 05:04:47 MDT Print View

I probably don't need to say this (because I expect that the people on this forum already know it) but while it is simple to light an estbit puck directly on the ground, its a pretty major violation of leave no trace ethics. The heat from an estbit tab is signifigant. The scar on the rock from the burning the tab will last for many years. If this is done on bare soil the heat from the tab will sterilize the soil.

There is a "right" way to do this. Many have documented it but Clelland's 153 tips book has the best illustrations.

IMHO, the behaviour in the video is not consistant with the proper backcountry ethics and is shameful.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Frankenstein: The Cook Kit. Questions / Comments / Critisms welcome on 03/14/2013 07:14:21 MDT Print View

Cool. A Philadelphia cream cheese lid is durable and way lighter too.

Daniel Fish

... on 03/17/2013 16:29:25 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 11:51:54 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Frankenstein: The Cook Kit. Questions / Comments / Critisms welcome on 03/17/2013 18:38:06 MDT Print View

not quite quiet but my solo cook kit is 13-15oz (depending on the fuel canister fullness). I did 1.5c boiled in 3min indoors with 60F water.

Stoic 700 pot
Optimus Crux stove
Campbells soup cup
mini lighter
Ti long handle spoon
100g canister

cook

Daniel Fish

... on 03/18/2013 01:00:50 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 11:50:10 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Stoic 700 pot on 03/18/2013 07:20:33 MDT Print View

They might.. i think i usually use my piece of pack towel as a precaution. i wrap the stove in the pack towel to keep things from rattling when packed.

And E
(LunchANDYnner) - M

cool! on 03/18/2013 08:39:19 MDT Print View

That's a pretty cool test you did there. I have a Jetboil flash and was thinking of making an alcohol stove for it for fun. Seeing that your esbit experiment worked makes me want to try even more!

Daniel Fish

... on 03/22/2013 12:06:26 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 11:49:32 MDT.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Jetboil+Cone+gram cracker+3 zip ties = rolling boil acheived on 03/22/2013 12:54:24 MDT Print View

It is important to note that the JB has ~50% of the bottom surface area of the evernew pot you compared with. I wouldn't generalize your results to say that any non HTX pot is as fuel efficient - just any w/ ~2X the bottom surface area.

For what its worth my alcohol setup will raise 750mL of water 75C (~3cups, ~135F) in ~9mins using 13grs (~.5oz wt) of 95% ethanol.

Nice work on the zip ties.

Daniel Fish

... on 03/22/2013 14:06:32 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 11:48:41 MDT.

James Klein
(jnklein21) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: maybe add an ice cube to your test on 03/22/2013 19:25:06 MDT Print View

Sorry wasn't trying to steer you away from esbit...

I reran my stove a couple of times:
Outside 40F air temp, little wind, 625gr(2.6cups) water @ 54F w/ one 17gr ice cube added just after taking water temp and just before firing up. 14grs ethanol...

Rolling boil ~12.5 minutes continued simmering till 15:50s.

This is a little slower than the other measurements I provided as this was outside on concrete vs inside on stovetop -- I think the main factor is that the concrete slowed the rate of evaporation of the alcohol for burning. Typically inside the stove will only burn for about 13-14mins (although hotter).

Daniel Fish

... on 03/22/2013 21:21:05 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/23/2013 11:45:49 MDT.

Ian Van Halen
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Great experiment on 03/22/2013 21:55:41 MDT Print View

I'm also trying to dial in my Esbit kit. Great idea using a Sol Ti! I read through your review but I missed the total weight. How heavy is your kit minus fuel?