Forum Index » GEAR » Cheap base layer tops: the marathon shirt

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Cheap base layer tops: the marathon shirt on 03/12/2013 16:17:12 MDT Print View

Here's a tip for getting cheap lightweight base layer tops. It is common to get a shirt as part of the package when you register for running events. I see the cast offs in thrift stores in any large city that hosts events like marathons, 5k's, charity fun runs, etc. Some of the tops are brands like Brooks or Asics and others are promo house brands. They all seem to have decent wicking polyster fabric. The caveat is that many are real walking billboards for the sponsors. The upside is that you can get a shirt for $2-$3 and scoff at sharp branches and thorns.

I found this one today for $3. It is 6.6oz in XL size and not too bad on the front.Marathon shirt

Everyone got their ad on the back though:
Marathon shirt

Edited by dwambaugh on 03/12/2013 16:19:01 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Free running shirts on 03/12/2013 21:20:20 MDT Print View

That's pretty much the entirety of my hiking apparel!!Marathon shirt

The red is a chicago marathon shirt, the long sleeve white under is courtesy of a turkey trot. All great synthetics, all free.

Edited by Jenmitol on 03/12/2013 21:21:55 MDT.

dave e
(hipass) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
never on 03/12/2013 21:33:05 MDT Print View

I will never buy new or retail any baselayer tops.There is always a supply of tops and fleece at thrift stores.I have too many patagonia tops and must stop buying them.Of course the bigger the city,the better the supply-i am in LA.Baselayer bottoms,never see them.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Free running shirts on 03/12/2013 21:35:22 MDT Print View

Free is good. Well maybe not a free wooden boat, but free shirts rock :) There's no chance of me running a marathon, so it's off to the thrift store with me.

In fact, when I think about running, I lie down until the feeling passes.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: never on 03/12/2013 21:39:53 MDT Print View

"Baselayer bottoms,never see them."

They probably don't sell many *new* long johns in Southern California. I find them now and then, but nothing like tops.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Cheap base layer tops: the marathon shirt on 03/13/2013 12:01:53 MDT Print View

and you might actually try a marathon at the same time ;)

$$$$$ base layers are one of the biggest wastes of money IMO ...

you arent going to sweat more than someone running a full marathon =P