Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Sweet, all along you were there shelter & i didn't even know it, Mods to Ti Goat tipi liner

Display Avatars Sort By:
just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Sweet, all along you were there shelter & i didn't even know it, Mods to Ti Goat tipi liner on 03/11/2013 23:21:16 MDT Print View

After deciding i was going to go ultra cheap, and deciding i was going to build a Tyvek Pyramid type shelter, i was rummaging around in my gear closet which is not so well organized. Found something i haven't looked at in awhile.

A couple or so years ago, my wife and i bought a combo ti goat wood stove and tipi type tent during a special combo deal. While i've used the tent a few times, and the stove a couple, we're mainly keeping it for backup (long story, but a mutual decision based on mutual intuition).

We had purchased the optional dew liner, but i've never used it--just stored it away and kind of forgot about it. During my rummaging, i saw it and took it out, and realized that it would make an awesome 2 person shelter unto itself. It looks like it's the same material as the tent itself, lightweight ripstop silnylon (same color too, grey/silver).

It just needs a door and zipper (there is a good size, inverted V gap), a vent, and some mesh on the bottom perimeter and over the door area. Not sure, but maybe the bottom loops where it ties to the tent need to be reinforced as to be able to handle tent stakes, wind, etc.

A quick question and background: I'm a somewhat new & inexperienced sewer. I have a little experience with sewing silnylon--just enough to know i really dislike doing very large pieces of it. Silnylon stuff sacks, no problem. Silnylon tarp pieces... argh, the pins come out, the material bunches or misaligns, and generally i get at least mildly frustrated (which is saying a lot as i usually have the temperament of Yoda--fairly calm).

Is it feasible, or advisable (or not so) to thin out some silicone adhesive and glue the door on, or do i really need to sew it?

p.s., i will put up a pic of the liner, set up as shelter, as is, tomorrow.

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Liner on 03/12/2013 02:26:03 MDT Print View

If it is a liner, I highly doubt that it is silnylon. Usually the liner is a breathable material (i.e. not waterproof). Put your mouth on the fabric and blow. If air moves through it, then it is not waterproof.

You can find silnylon seconds for 3$.

Edited by mpd1690 on 03/12/2013 02:27:06 MDT.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Liner on 03/12/2013 12:02:57 MDT Print View

I think you are quite right Michael. I tested the fabric before i saw your reply. I pooled some water onto it, closed it up and squeezed a bit. It leaked pretty quickly, and a couple of areas it streamed out noticeably.

So it's apparently a ripstop, DWR nylon. Since it's such a nicely designed shape and design as is, i'm just going to remove the DWR finish and siliconize it as best as i can. I really like the tipi design--it's one of the few taller designs that really handles wind well. I don't think at this point in my sewing and design experience, i could make as nice as a shelter from scratch.

Pics in the next posts.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Liner on 03/12/2013 12:06:24 MDT Print View

front pic

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear) - M
Re: Re: Re: Liner on 03/12/2013 12:07:45 MDT Print View

side pic