Forum Index » GEAR » Lets see your GEAR ROOMS!!

Display Avatars Sort By:
Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Upper closet on 03/12/2013 12:57:25 MDT Print View

I moved in with a girl, and she makes me try and hide it all in out of the way places. So it is scattered all over the house, but the majority hides up in the 7 foot high storage area above a closet in the laundry room. This is a total pain in the neck to get down and put back, and I usually forget a few things and end up taking all the bins down and putting them back up several times before a trip.

I think she should have to put all the clothes she never wears up there, and I should get the walk in closet for my backpacking gear. Although, if I suggested that, I might get my wish, but I'd also be sleeping in aforementioned closet.

Edited by Beeen on 03/12/2013 13:01:44 MDT.

Matthew Brooks
(dak0ta15)

Locale: Bay Area
jealous on 03/12/2013 13:12:08 MDT Print View

Man I am jealous of you all. I have all my stuff, and it isn't even that much, taking up half of my "office" in a tiny apartment that costs way too much. I am trying to slowly accumulate some lighter used gear, but have no idea where I will put it. Life is hard as a grad student living the bay area. Well, the hiking is great but the cost of living isn't. One day I will have a house...

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
moved in with a girl... on 03/12/2013 13:12:19 MDT Print View

"I moved in with a girl, and she makes me try and hide it all in out of the way places"

Ugh, I remember that day very well. Complaints about how empty aluminum beer cans and denatured alcohol do not belong in the kitchen or some other nonsense garbage like that :)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: moved in with a girl... on 03/12/2013 13:31:00 MDT Print View

Empty beer cans and denatured alcohol ARE my kitchen.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Lets see your GEAR ROOMS!! on 03/12/2013 13:37:23 MDT Print View

Right now most my backpacking and camping stuff takes up one half of the closet in our apartment's second bedroom. My wife's crafting stuff and decorations are in the other half. Sleeping pads and sleeping bags are stored underneath our bed. Jackets are here and there, some in the coat closet, others in the walk-in in our bedroom. Most of my other hiking clothing fits in a drawer on my half of the dresser.

That will all change at the end of the month though, we're moving into a townhouse with a third bedroom and a basement. Tentatively the plan is for the crafting and decorations to go in the basement and for the third bedroom to be for my computer/photography/hiking stuff. A guy can dream at least...

Adam

Jim Colten
(jcolten)

Locale: MN
Re: Lets see your GEAR ROOMS!! on 03/12/2013 13:50:17 MDT Print View

Y'all are Amateurs!

gear closet

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Upper closet on 03/12/2013 14:04:12 MDT Print View

"I moved in with a girl, and she makes me try and hide it all in out of the way places."

I see she told you to try and hide the pup as well. That's just going too far, in my opinion!

Edited by idester on 03/12/2013 17:12:51 MDT.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Re: moved in with a girl on 03/12/2013 15:11:35 MDT Print View

"Empty beer cans and denatured alcohol ARE my kitchen."

That was good.

James Walton
(Backcountryasm) - M

Locale: south
Gear room on 03/12/2013 15:19:34 MDT Print View

Ok guys, man up or girl up! If you do not have a dedicated room to organize your treasures then demand it. If that doesn't work out for you then you will be using your gear for awhile until you find other accommodations! It's a win win in my book.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"A few of you clearly need therapy." on 03/12/2013 15:23:03 MDT Print View

Yeah Sumi, RETAIL THERAPY! Hee, hee

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
...you luck dog! on 03/12/2013 17:09:47 MDT Print View

"Empty beer cans and denatured alcohol ARE my kitchen."

Damn T! I love the equal opportunity household you're running over there.

Apparently, titanium isn't guest-appropriate fine china either according to my lady-friend. Sheesh, talk about high-maintenance.

Kevin Buggie
(kbuggie) - M

Locale: NW New Mexico
a room for gear on 03/12/2013 17:41:43 MDT Print View

I'm lucky to have a room and clothes closet (not really pictured behind shoe wall) dedicated to keeping the gear organized and accessible; nice for quickly planned trips.

bikes, pads, and bags hanging, shoes on the rack.

Bikes, pads, and bags hanging. Shoes on the wall.

stoves, tarps, river gear

Stoves, tarps, fishing, and river trip gear.

prep area from the closet, backpacks hang on right

From the closet looking at the prep area on the freezer. Backpacks hang on close right.

Edited by kbuggie on 03/12/2013 17:51:20 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
I don't understand... on 03/12/2013 21:16:59 MDT Print View

Of course titanium is guest appropriate!! That stuff's expensive!!!

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Insanity can take many forms on 03/13/2013 11:57:09 MDT Print View

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

Edited by lyrad1 on 03/13/2013 16:06:14 MDT.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Re: Lets see your GEAR ROOMS!! on 03/13/2013 12:08:09 MDT Print View

I'm definitely going to show my wife this thread. "here we see evidence in exhibit B"...

Thank you all so very much! Please continue to post pics of your extensive gear rooms, etc. ; )

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Lets see you GEAR ROOMS!! on 03/13/2013 12:11:05 MDT Print View

I don't have photos handy at the moment, but my situation sounds similar to others...

With the exception of clothes and sleeping bags which can be hung in the extra closets or folded away in drawers, the rule for our house is the the inside of the house must be kept... house-like.

So, no sleeping pads hiding out under beds, equipment stacked up in corners, ti cookware doing double duty around the house, etc. I have to keep all of this stuff hidden away outside of the living areas.

The good news is, I've got pretty much the entire two-car garage to be my man cave instead, so it's filled with surfboards, paddleboards, climbing gear, snow gear, camping equipment, bikes, skateboards, tools, etc.

Not a bad deal really...

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Lets see you GEAR ROOMS!! on 03/13/2013 12:23:51 MDT Print View

Similar situation as Nick B here. The only exception is that I have a home office. That is also my domain. However if we have company, the office is used as a spare bedroom. Gear can be left in the office is my son visits. If in-Laws visit, then I must make alternative living arrangements for my gear.

Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Re: Insanity can take many forms on 03/13/2013 12:23:53 MDT Print View

Daryl:

I hope to one day have a box labeled "ponchos", and I'm very jealous of 12 to 16 feet of open table.

Juliana Cho
(choyoyo) - M
Re: Re: Insanity can take many forms on 03/13/2013 16:45:21 MDT Print View

Some of you guys have an impressive amount of space for your gear! We only have a gear closet, but I am looking forward to my future gear room.

gear closet

We keep on the top shelf: loaner z rests, maps, bear cans, and sleeping bags
On the hooks: hats, packs, tent and fish scale
In the drawers: all the small things, organized by category
On the floor: trekking poles, tarps, repair stuff in a box, and rope.

Edited by choyoyo on 03/13/2013 17:14:48 MDT.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Organization on 03/13/2013 18:39:06 MDT Print View

"With the exception of clothes and sleeping bags which can be hung in the extra closets or folded away in drawers, the rule for our house is the the inside of the house must be kept... house-like."

So no tent as art work above the TV???

After seeing that pic in Peter's post, I started getting some decorating ideas. We have a fairly big living room with a really high ceiling with a fan at the top. What about hanging a mobile made of tents from the fan and have it slowly spin around? That would be be art! My wife would probably go for it, at least temporarily, as she usually lets me amuse myself to keep me out of real trouble. Unfortunately, the only free standing shelters I have anymore are car camping tents. Too heavy. :(

One thing I've noticed is that it looks like everyone is very organized but by type of items. I do that for my extra stuff but I also have a storage tub labeled just backpacking that contains the stuff I take 90% of the time, then one for stuff that sometimes goes, winter stuff, etc. If I didn't keep it pretty much ready to go, I'd never get out of the house. Is that just not visible here or do some of you just take a stove out, a pad, a shelter, etc.?