Forum Index » Chaff » Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now I know.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now You know. on 03/11/2013 15:07:50 MDT Print View

Cairns. Very helpful and a good thing -- if reasonable size and placed strategically. But some people hate them and go out of their way to flatten them! Why such angst?

Saw this on another forum that explains it and more:

a

Edited by ben2world on 03/11/2013 15:11:49 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now You know. on 03/11/2013 15:13:16 MDT Print View

Bawhahhah....love it.

Dean L
(AldoLeopold) - F

Locale: Great Lakes
Re: Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now You know. on 03/11/2013 15:17:51 MDT Print View

"Cairns are litter"

But graffiti isn't vandalism? sheeesh

Dean

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now You know. on 03/11/2013 16:15:14 MDT Print View

Dean,

It's meant to be a joke -- most likely made by software -- and not real graffiti.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Re: Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now You know. on 03/11/2013 16:31:27 MDT Print View

Looks like classic AT Shelter graffiti to me.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now I know on 03/11/2013 16:56:31 MDT Print View

I thought it was funny.. (as a photoshop thing not for real because I detest graffiti/tagging...)
I grew up seeing cairns.
Two types : directional ones and at the top of a 'mountain'
(between 7000 and 9000 feet,we had the lowest in the area)
Over about 5000 or so feet we mostly just went up without a path so the cairns helped in finding the right direction particularly in bad weather , not unusual for us to be in the clouds.
At the top it was always a bit of a ritual to straighten and tidy the existing cairns.
Apart from those I wish people did not build them particularly when they could lead you off the path but still I am not militant about that.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now You know. on 03/11/2013 19:07:14 MDT Print View

Isn't that Doug's handwriting?

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now You know. on 03/12/2013 07:25:25 MDT Print View

I recall reading about some large battle in WWII. The writer said the soldiers were bickering about every small thing prior to battle and getting in fights over these petty issues. After the first engagement with the enemy these squabbles ceased.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now You know. on 03/12/2013 10:48:58 MDT Print View

Daryl:

That will do it too. :)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now You know. on 03/12/2013 23:17:46 MDT Print View

"After the first engagement with the enemy these squabbles ceased."

There is definitely something to that. We noticed at my old ambulance company that there was a negative relationship between our call volume and the cattiness in the corps room.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Why Do Little Things Bother People? Now You know. on 03/13/2013 19:20:28 MDT Print View

I hate it when people knock cairns down

Especially those artistic collections you see grouped together. Someone having fun. So what it's technically inconsistent with leave no trace principals.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
real on 03/14/2013 15:54:16 MDT Print View

no, I'm pretty sure that sign is real, on an outhouse at Isle Royal National park, apparently.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: real on 03/14/2013 15:56:16 MDT Print View

If that's the case, then I find the graffiti both funny -- and shameful.