November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Any way to make this tarp useable?
Display Avatars Sort By:
(smoke) - F
Any way to make this tarp useable? on 03/11/2013 08:05:18 MDT Print View

I have an old nylon tarp that has been in storage for a while. The coating is now sticky and it stinks. Is there any way to remedy this situation, besides getting another tarp?

Jordo _99
(jordo_99) - MLife

Locale: Nebraska
What type of coating? on 03/11/2013 08:33:58 MDT Print View

If you know what type of coating that would help a bit.

I would try letting it soak in paint thinner for a while and then rinse it off and see if the coating comes off.

Then you could apply a new coat of silicone and mineral spirits afterwards.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Might not be worth it on 03/11/2013 08:36:41 MDT Print View

I would be worried that the nylon might have degraded over time. I'm not sure I'd take such a tarp out in rough weather.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Re: Any way to make this tarp useable on 03/11/2013 11:43:47 MDT Print View

Had the same problem with the tarp from a large Eureka family tent. Eureka said to launder it a few times in powdered (i.e. strong) detergent and most of the coating would come off, then recoat it with Aquaseal or similar.

I was able to get the coating off as they suggested. Now that the warm weather is almost upon us I plan to recoat it. Note these instructions are for polyurethane coatings, not for Silicon-coated fabrics. I don't think the latter become sticky with age.

Since I use old tents for car camping I usually bring a cheap blue tarp to throw on top of the tent if there are any leaks.

Edited by ewolin on 03/11/2013 11:45:11 MDT.