Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Any way to make this tarp useable?

Display Avatars Sort By:
D S
(smoke) - F
Any way to make this tarp useable? on 03/11/2013 08:05:18 MDT Print View

I have an old nylon tarp that has been in storage for a while. The coating is now sticky and it stinks. Is there any way to remedy this situation, besides getting another tarp?

J P
(jordo_99) - M

Locale: Midwest
What type of coating? on 03/11/2013 08:33:58 MDT Print View

If you know what type of coating that would help a bit.

I would try letting it soak in paint thinner for a while and then rinse it off and see if the coating comes off.

Then you could apply a new coat of silicone and mineral spirits afterwards.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Might not be worth it on 03/11/2013 08:36:41 MDT Print View

I would be worried that the nylon might have degraded over time. I'm not sure I'd take such a tarp out in rough weather.

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Re: Any way to make this tarp useable on 03/11/2013 11:43:47 MDT Print View

Had the same problem with the tarp from a large Eureka family tent. Eureka said to launder it a few times in powdered (i.e. strong) detergent and most of the coating would come off, then recoat it with Aquaseal or similar.

I was able to get the coating off as they suggested. Now that the warm weather is almost upon us I plan to recoat it. Note these instructions are for polyurethane coatings, not for Silicon-coated fabrics. I don't think the latter become sticky with age.

Since I use old tents for car camping I usually bring a cheap blue tarp to throw on top of the tent if there are any leaks.

Edited by ewolin on 03/11/2013 11:45:11 MDT.