Forum Index » GEAR » Knives

Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Re: Knives on 03/11/2013 21:05:09 MDT Print View

My blind horse tiger knapp is my most used knife. It's light and it can stand some heavy work. I wear it as a neck knife with a firesteel at all times in case I ever get separated from my pack.
a

For serious wood work, I like the old hickory butchers knives. 7 inches and 6 oz. It's a lot of blade for the weight. Paired with a saw and you have a great set up for winter fire making and hot tenting. It's large enough that you can limb small fallen trees with it to make them more manageable. It also works as a light machete if you need to clear out some plants to make camp.
a

Edited by justin_baker on 03/11/2013 21:06:20 MDT.

Daniel Fish
(daniel@fishfamilypdx.com)

Locale: PDX
... on 03/11/2013 22:25:52 MDT Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/12/2013 23:50:55 MDT.

Doug Smith
(Jedi5150) - F - M

Locale: Central CA
Bark River Bravo 1 on 03/12/2013 00:16:17 MDT Print View

I know it's probably insane overkill for backpacking, but I can't help loving the looks of the Bark River "Bravo 1" knife. It is the fieldcraft knife allegedly chosen by survival instructors with Marine Force Recon. Contrary to most military "rambo" knives, the Bravo 1 is quite small, and light. It's not some big K-bar fighting knife, it's designed for fieldcraft. Besides they are just plain gorgeous to look at. I'm trying hard to convince myself I don't need one before my upcoming trip. lol

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/product_info.php?cPath=465_634&products_id=20342