Ultralight Kelly / Storm / Volcano Kettle
Display Avatars Sort By:
Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: kudo's/ married/ grad school/ and obsessive, relating to them all on 06/30/2009 06:41:37 MDT Print View

> married/grad school/ and obsessive

Ha! You have just captured the three central themes of my life in five words. I'm glad I'm not the only one. What are you in for? (grad school, that is)

Kevin Beeden
(captain_paranoia) - F

Locale: UK
a case of congruent design... on 06/30/2009 10:22:25 MDT Print View

> Kevin, I found what worked best was to form the vanes into the chimney itself. This has the advantage of increasing the surface area in contact with the water.

LOL! I obviously didn't make myself clear; that's exactly what I did, but my thinking was also that it would be much better heat transfer (simple press fit gives poor thermal contact), and it would ensure that the can wall (and epoxy) never got hotter than 100C.

This is a great example of congruent design; we've both approached the same problem, and come up with an identical solution, even, coincidentally, using the same brand of beer can, although I suspect yours is one of the big 24oz cans, whereas mine is a small 440ml can. There are a couple of other minor differences; I cut a hole in the dimple, which makes the top of the inner stable (but makes filling a little difficult), and I used an odd number of vanes, as this seemed to improve the useful cross-section area of the top opening.

> Maybe it wouldn't be prudent to give all my secrets away, especially given the Bush Buddy/ Bush Cooker debacle.

That was an unpleasant and unnecessary debacle, IMHO. On the thread, I argued the case for congruent design, and lo, Roger and I have given a perfect example of the phenomenon. No doubt bpl's worthies will be along later to shout "RIPOFF!"... I can look back and see how the idea came about, given the past history of things I've experimented with, and I bet Roger can do the same. No doubt the design history is different (and collides a little where Roger's aluminium water bottle kettle gave me a prod to play with some ideas I scribbled on heat exchanger pans when I got a JetBoil), but the end result is remarkably similar. We even made the same error of folding the wall the wrong way so that the paint is the water side, rather than the epoxy-phenolic coating (corrected in the earlier photos)!

OM Bush Buddy Ultra thread
OM How To Make Meths Stoves Q&A thread

P ritch
(Flix) - F

Locale: Seattle area
Outstanding! on 08/26/2009 17:03:23 MDT Print View

Devin, your efforts have caused me to lurch out of lurkdom and post my congratulations and encouragement. Please keep going with this project. Make sure you protect your design and consider seeking partnership from established companies. Who knows? Maybe Mountain House could see enough of a tie-in to assist you in the tooling expenses.

In the mean time, when you are ready to knock out a few yourself I certainly want one!

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: Outstanding! on 08/30/2009 18:51:04 MDT Print View

Thanks JJ! I'm currently working on moving this from a one-off prototype to something that I can make a small production run of. It's taking some time, but I'll add you to the list of folks that I will notify as it gets closer to that point.

Again, thanks! I'm honored to have elicited your first comments!

Kerry Rodgers
(klrodgers) - MLife

Locale: North Texas
Re: Re: Outstanding! on 09/02/2009 15:08:17 MDT Print View

Devin,

I just stumbled onto this long running thread... Wow! What a great story! What great patience! I'll be watching for developments.

--kerry

Patrick McDonnell
(abbottdog) - F
Serendipity! What a stove on 09/29/2009 22:32:50 MDT Print View

Awesome journey- looks like it will roar, right on!

I have been wanting a kelly kettle type stove for some time but have been awaiting an ultralight version. I was cruising the web and here we go!

How do I get on that list to order one?

Doug Johnson
(djohnson) - MLife

Locale: Washington State
Re: Re: Re: Outstanding! on 09/29/2009 23:21:55 MDT Print View

Cool! Add me to the potential sales list too!

Great work and perseverance!

Doug

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Outstanding! on 09/30/2009 06:53:59 MDT Print View

Thanks guys! I'll add you three to the list!

Unfortunately, I'm still working on getting that first batch together and am increasingly understanding BPL's reluctance to give stock dates for their custom lines of gear. Since I'm doing 99% of the production myself, I don't have third party delays to worry about, just work, weddings, the call of the trail, and now... school.

I'll keep you all updated on my progress, and believe me that nobody is more eager to get these in your hands than I am!

Patrick - if you set up your PM address, I can either contact you through that or you can send me your email address.

Thanks again!

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Outstanding! on 09/30/2009 09:26:16 MDT Print View

Hi Devin,
I would love to buy one when you are ready.You have done some amazing work and I am sure they will be worth every penny you charge for them.
Thanks,
Anna

P ritch
(Flix) - F

Locale: Seattle area
Any Updates? on 02/15/2010 16:04:09 MST Print View

Hi Devin,

I thought I'd bring this up from the ashes to see if you have made any progress with this project. Also, I just ran across this thread on another forum where someone fabricated a kelly kettle out of a 40 oz. stainless Guyot/Nalgene bottle:

http://www.hoodswoods.net/IVB/index.php?showtopic=25081&st=0

Maybe this can add to your inspirition base. Also, Exotac has prototypes ti water bottles pictured on their website. Perhaps whoever is doing their fabrication could produce a ti kelly kettle.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: Any Updates? on 02/15/2010 17:58:25 MST Print View

Hey Flix, it looks like you have to be a member of that forum to see the site, but I appreciate your interest!

The project is pretty much on hold until spring. Unfortunately, graduate school and a workshop exposed to the elements aren't the best ingredients for ultralight manufacturing.

Some good news is that since September, I've been able to nail dow the alloy I'm going to use for the kettles! Small progress, I know.

Unfortunately, I think a Ti kettle would be cost prohibitive. With the contortions one has to put the material through, all but the most pliable Al alloys will simply rip apart. Ti exponentially more expensive and harder to work with. :(

Malcolm Carmichael
(Dylan730) - F
Amazed on 02/24/2010 21:41:00 MST Print View

Add me to your list, I have read this several time and am continually amazed at the determination and progress

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: Amazed on 02/25/2010 06:34:41 MST Print View

Thanks Malcolm! Please send me a PM with your email address, so I can reach you when this all comes together.

I just got a batch of the new aluminum, and I've got a week of spring break coming up. I sure hope to make some progress!

Thomas Graham
(tomasito) - F
Very cool! on 02/25/2010 19:27:52 MST Print View

Awesome. Add me to the list. Love this kind of stuff, and you, sir, are one perseverin' kinda guy.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Production problem solved on 03/05/2010 07:17:30 MST Print View

I learned something important this week: When a commercial spinning shop won't give you a quote in either the alloy OR the thickness you want, making a part that way on your own is going to be really hard!

After making that revelation and moving back to a softer AL alloy (but keeping the thin walls), I have been able to make my elusive second boiler. With that problem solved, I'm ready to start taking the names of those who are interested in getting one of these beauties. But because this is now clearly more than a MYOG exercise, I've started a new thread in the Gear Deals forum to handle their sale. If you're interesting in buying one of these please get back to me there or through PM. If you're interested in metal spinning or making your own boiler of this type, I'm still glad to answer those questions on this thread.

Thanks to all who have followed my work here. Being able to share the process with other ultralight MYOG fanatics has been the most rewarding part of the kettle's development. I can't wait for others to actually get the chance to use one!

Best,
Devin

Edited by dsmontgomery on 03/05/2010 16:00:40 MST.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Boiler tests on 03/12/2010 04:13:28 MST Print View

"I also wanted to see how the relatively thin fire cup handled the full heat (as it wasn't cooled by water like the vessel itself). The repeated heating of the cup has obviously softened its temper, but it's still strong and doesn't show any evidence of serious degradation."

I wonder what will happen if people decide to 'keep the camp fire going' after the boiler is removed. May be worth testing. Perhaps a Ti sierra cup could be modified?

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: Re: Boiler tests on 03/12/2010 06:26:15 MST Print View

"I wonder what will happen if people decide to 'keep the camp fire going' after the boiler is removed."

That's a good question. I've since run the boiler many many more times (some weekends I just boil, pour, boil, pour, repeat, repeat, repeat), but I haven't yet tested one to failure.

The reason for this: until recently, I only had one. Now that I have a couple to play around with, I be a bit rougher with them. I'll see how it works with extended burn times.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: Re: Boiler tests on 03/12/2010 22:53:48 MST Print View

Devin,

What is the top diameter and weight of your burner cup?

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Boiler tests on 03/13/2010 05:42:53 MST Print View

The bottom is 2 3/4" and widens to 3 1/2". The lip that the kettle rests on is 3/8" all around, with a diameter of 4 1/4".

Edit: oops, forgot the weight: 1.6 oz. So yeah, the Ti would be lighter. There would just have to be some way to seat the kettle on the cup...

Edited by dsmontgomery on 03/13/2010 18:09:52 MST.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Boiler tests on 03/13/2010 14:07:16 MST Print View

item 350218596862 on fleabay

Ti sierra cup 4.5" dia 1.3oz inc handle. Less once you cut a chunk out. ;-)

Might work well with your kettle.