(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re: MSR Titan Kettle? on 03/24/2013 16:40:04 MDT Print View

What's the diameter of the 1100 pot?

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Titan bottom diameter on 03/24/2013 19:44:55 MDT Print View

The Titan is 4.5" diameter at the bottom. I don't know what your 1100 pot is.

Tyler Miller
(FightingTheTide) - F

Locale: Southeast
When is Evernew coming back into production? Alternatives? on 03/24/2013 20:01:50 MDT Print View

It's the same. I didn't have time to do the research before posting and running out the door. Just got home. Well, that settles it for the Titan - no major advantage there.

I take it that Evernew Ti pots won't be in circulation for a few more months. But does anyone have an official word on that? Or are there any alternatives? I need something that's 800-1000ml and at least 5" wide. The lighter, the better...and handles are a plus.

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Re: When is Evernew coming back into production? Alternatives? on 03/24/2013 20:36:30 MDT Print View

I have the Evernew 1.3 liter pot in stock. Best regards - Jon

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Ridgeline Foster Cans on 03/24/2013 21:40:06 MDT Print View

By the end of next week I'll have some foster pots with handles as an "alternative"

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Re: Ridgeline Foster Cans on 03/25/2013 03:06:03 MDT Print View

The 1.3L Evernew is only .2 oz heavier than the 900mL. I see no real advantage with the smaller pot, especially if you often hike with another person.

Tyler Miller
(FightingTheTide) - F

Locale: Southeast
Thanks on 03/25/2013 07:30:37 MDT Print View

Thanks for the info!

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: When is Evernew coming back into production? Alternatives? on 03/25/2013 07:32:32 MDT Print View

Tyler,

" I need something that's 800-1000ml and at least 5" wide. The lighter, the better...and handles are a plus."

I've had the Titan kettle and the deep 900ml Evernew and sold them both. I have two go to pots. My go to pots are a two cup and one cup Fosters cookpot from Zelph. I have a larger Open Country 3 cup hard anodized aluminum cookpot from Trail Designs, that I also use.

3 Cup, 2.625" H x 5.375" W, 3.8oz

If you were to add a bail to this cookpot you could have a 4 oz, 3 cup cookpot with a 5 3/8" diameter bottom.

I added a bail to each of my Fosters cookpots. It is simple, easy and cheap.

Fosters pot with stainless wire bail

Here is the link to the thread describing how it was done.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=66158&startat=40

Scroll down from where this link takes you to see the pictures. Click "Show All" to get all of the details and material sources.

Single bails work well if the cookpot has sufficient volume to allow the user to pick it up by the bail close to one side of the cookpot and then pour over/through where the bail is attached on the other side of the cookpot.

It's an easy and cheaper option that you may want to consider although it is about 100 ml short of your minimum 800 ml size requirement. ;-?

Party On,

Newton

Edited by Newton on 03/25/2013 07:36:14 MDT.