Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Another question regarding my hippie dad
Display Avatars Sort By:
Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: tadpole 23 on 03/14/2013 07:49:33 MDT Print View

I have a Tadpole 23 that I use when I backpack with my wife.
it weighs 4.5 lbs, which in my mind is reasonable considering it is a palace.
it is large enough so that the vestibule space is almost redundant, so I rarely stake the vestibule. in fact I rarely stake any of the tent unless I'm expecting a hurricane.
So Yes, this is a truly free standing tent,
and while they call it a 3 season, it is very adequate for all but the most intense 4 season use.
many ++++'s for this tent.

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: Re: tadpole 23 on 03/14/2013 07:57:04 MDT Print View

Seems to me a lot of the problems come from the fact the Americans somehow define the inner as tent and the fly as something optional. That's something that always confused me to be honest.

As for the freestanding Unna It is freestanding, but of course in high winds a tent needs some connection with the ground or it will – as you say – just be blown away.

Oh and the TT Moment and Scarp can be completely freestanding as well, including the vestibuls.

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
Re: Re: Re: Thoughts from the real Nick G... on 03/14/2013 10:23:40 MDT Print View

Nah, his best time in the 5k is 13 min 54 secs.

World record for 10k is 26 min 17 secs, so 30 minutes isn't that fast.

;)

Awesome: you must be proud!

Rob P
(rpjr) - M
Inner Tent on 03/14/2013 21:50:36 MDT Print View

Jan,

I think it might be due to the weather. I live in Michigan, and we have 4 seasons. In autumn, winter and spring I certainly see the advantage of an an outer pitch first tent, but in the summer, when you can have temps in the 90's F (32C) with high humidity and bugs, if there is no threat of rain I'd rather just use a mesh inner with nothing over it. You have to try and keep cool!

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: Inner Tent on 03/15/2013 07:09:55 MDT Print View

Yeah, the summer temperature was the only explanation I could come up with. I still think Hilleberg, Tarptent and a couple cottages did the right thing and give you a bit more fiddly inner only setup in the summer and the fast and easy way if the weather is bad and you need a shelter fast.

And I still wonder if there is some other advantage to connect the poles to the inner and not the fly that is not obvious.

Bob Shaver
(rshaver) - F

Locale: West
tenting on solid rock on 03/15/2013 09:55:45 MDT Print View

Of course your Dad should use the tent he prefers, but he would have no problem camping on solid rock with a non-freestanding tent. I have done that many times with my Squall 2 from Tarptent. I have loops of light braided dacron fishing line at the place there tent stakes go. These are 150 lb test, and very light. If I can't get a stake in ground, I put a rock in the loop, and scootch it out till the tent is taut. Tenting on solid rock is no problem with a good inflatable sleeping pad, and I've always been able to find rocks or logs for the 6 stakes needed for the Squall 2.tenting on solid rock