Forum Index » GEAR » What pack do you recommend for this gear?

Display Avatars Sort By:
A W
(lost_01)
What pack do you recommend for this gear? on 03/06/2013 20:10:21 MST Print View

Took this forum's advice, looking to purchase my pack last for a JMT trip this summer.

Based on the below list, what pack volume should I be in the ballpark of?

Also, while weight is a priority, my biggest concern is comfort - for my back. (Lower back issues, sciatica, etc.)

Packed:
1) Exped SynMat UL 7 Air Pad (Medium - MAYBE Long)
2) Katabatic Palisade (Long)
3) Zpacks Solo Plus Hexamid
4) Bivy (? Unsure )

5) Tri-Ti Sidewinder
6) .9L Evernew Ti pot
7) Bearikade Weekender
8) Gossamer Gear LT4S Trekking Poles

8) Zpacks Groundsheet / Poncho
10)Montbell Dynamo Wind Pants
11)Patagonia Houdini Wind Hoody
12 Patagonia Capilene 4 Hoody
13) Montbel U.L. Down Parka

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
pack size for that gear on 03/06/2013 22:22:52 MST Print View

i use some similar gear to what you have listed. i have an MLD super prophet with a large size torso. all up with ext collar, i think its around 40/45L.

could go smaller if you wanted to compress the stuff out of your gear, could go larger for some nice easy packing with room to move if you do some cooler weather trips.

im real happy with what i have got. i use my sleeping mat as padding, dont really have any back issues though, only a stuffd hip. sorry, also dont need to take any anti bear gear, so im not too sure how big ya bear container thing is.

Edited by mrjones on 05/17/2013 21:02:35 MDT.

A W
(lost_01)
re: pack size for that gear on 03/07/2013 09:06:19 MST Print View

Got it, thanks!

The bearikade is definitely complicating the pack purchase.

Dena Kelley
(EagleRiverDee) - M

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska
"What pack do you recommend for this gear?" on 03/07/2013 11:02:04 MST Print View

"The bearikade is definitely complicating the pack purchase."

I had the same problem last year. I started going out with a local Meetup group and they require bear cans. My 40L GoLite Speedpack was all of a sudden too small. For two trips I tried strapping the canister to the bottom of the bag- it worked, but was clumsy. I bought a used Vapor Trail in the fall for the larger internal volume so I can carry the bear canister inside the pack.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
What pack do you recommend for this gear on 03/07/2013 11:26:49 MST Print View

I carry almost the exact same set of gear. I don't have the back issues you mention but still prefer a pack with a little more support when hauling around a heavy bear can especially.

I have used a ULA Circuit and a HMG Porter for my trips and have been happy with both. Of the two, I'd say the Circuit edges out the Porter for overall comfort although the Porter can likely carry a bit more.

I'm sure there's lot of other great packs too. Heard a lot of good things about the MLD Exodus; my main hiking buddy really likes his a lot. You can get it with added suspension/support or without.

Edited by NickB on 03/07/2013 11:28:10 MST.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
The accurate ways on 03/07/2013 11:39:20 MST Print View

(1) Put all your gear (including equivalent in weight and bulk of a week's food) in a box. Take the box to the store. Try a bunch of different packs with the gear loaded inside. Remember that the clothing you wear while hiking (in good weather) and your trekking poles will not be in the pack (unless it's "Naked Hiker Day").

(2) Put all your gear in a box (see above), but be sure the box is rectangular. Pack so the top surface is flat. Use tape measurement to find length, width, height. Calculate the volume by multiplying the three as we learned in school. A liter is approximately 60 cubic inches (not exact, but close enough). Do remember, though, that not all pack volumes are standard, so you will still have to try the gear in the pack. If you are ordering a pack, have the gear ready to put in the pack when it arrives, load it up, adjust and take an hour or two (preferably two) hike around the house. Boring, but helps you decide whether or not the pack is a "keeper."

Weight is also important; most manufacturers show on their websites the maximum weight suggested for their packs. Remember that this is total pack weight, including, fuel, food, water and the pack. IMHO, subtract 5 pounds.

Edited by hikinggranny on 03/07/2013 11:45:29 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: The accurate ways on 03/07/2013 11:51:32 MST Print View

I like Mary's #2 version. It should give a close enough estimate to at least get a starting starting point.

I use Google to do cubic inch/liter conversions. Just type in "convert 2200 cubic inches to liters" and it will caculate for you.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
circuit.. on 03/07/2013 13:03:36 MST Print View

A circuit would be VERY comfortable but also probably a little big for this setup. I would look at the OHM, GG mariposa, mld exodus, and maybe the zpacks arcBlast

my thinking is you could do a 2800-3500 without bear can and 3300-4200 with bear can

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Z on 03/07/2013 14:27:48 MST Print View

I'd get a small zpacks zero with +3 inches added to the roll top. A circuit and all these other packs are super heavy for you setup. You are borderline SUL. Don't mess that up with a 2 pound pack!

Arc blast looks like your best bet, or a zero with carbon stays.

A W
(lost_01)
thanks again on 03/07/2013 15:27:15 MST Print View

I take it the only way to pack the bearikade in a zpacks pack is vertically?

"my thinking is you could do a 2800-3500 without bear can and 3300-4200 with bear can"
Stupid bears.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Hexamid AND bivy?? on 03/07/2013 16:43:49 MST Print View

This is totally off topic, but why would you bring the hexamid and a bivy?? The hexamid solo plus is a fully enclosed shelter, full on bug protection....

A W
(lost_01)
re: NEW Hexamid AND bivy?? on 03/07/2013 22:15:23 MST Print View

Jennifer - while I'm still undecided on which bivy to get (probably katabatic or zpacks) - I am hoping to sleep under the stars for as many nights as possible.

*pretty sure you and I are planning for a JMT trip around the same time, feel free to make fun of me for over-packing then!

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
bear on 03/07/2013 22:36:41 MST Print View

"I take it the only way to pack the bearikade in a zpacks pack is vertically?"

You'll have to pack a bearikade vertically in all (most) ultralight packs.

What i usually do is put my sleeping bag in first horizontally and then bear can with the rest on top

A W
(lost_01)
Z on 03/08/2013 08:54:19 MST Print View

Got it, thanks.

It's looking more and more like the Arc Blast will be a solid option. If I may hijack my own thread rather than create a new one:

Edited by lost_01 on 03/08/2013 08:55:46 MST.

Drew Jay
(drewjh) - F

Locale: Central Coast
Arc Blast on 03/09/2013 02:01:41 MST Print View

I think this would easily fit into an Arc Blast. I have a very similar gear in terms of volume and can fit it into my Arc with a BV450 no problem. The Bearikade is only a couple inches taller than the 450. If you are worried I bet they could make an Arc with an extended top for a bit more room.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
bearikade scout on 03/26/2013 17:16:37 MDT Print View

The Bearikade Scout is shorter than the Weekender. I used the Scout last Sept on an 8 day solo trip and packed it horizontally in my Ohm 2.0... if you leave the first day's meals out and get the air out of everything and smush hard and don't eat a lot, you can get 7 days of food for one person into the Scout.

I find that packing the Bearikade horizontally makes for a better carry balance wise and feels better against my spine... when packed vertically the canister seems to press against my boney spine... unless you have a heavily padded pack.

Does anyone know if you can get the Scout into the Arc Blast horizontally?

thanks,

Bill

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

also on 03/26/2013 17:20:35 MDT Print View

I emailed Joe yesterday about the Bearikades fitting into his Arc Blast horizontally and he 'thinks' the Scout will fit horizontally. (does anyone know for sure that the Bearikade Scout will fit horizontally into the Arc Blast?)

And Joe says he can make an Arc Blast with larger entry at the top to fit a Weekender horizontally.

thanks,

Bill

A W
(lost_01)
Re: also on 03/26/2013 19:51:20 MDT Print View

Bill,

Thanks for the update. Understandable that the Bearikade vertically was a pain with the Ohm - will the structure of the Arc Blast negate this issue? That's one of the most appealing things about it, that the bag will be off the spine.

Edited by lost_01 on 03/26/2013 19:53:15 MDT.

Drew Jay
(drewjh) - F

Locale: Central Coast
Arc Blast/Bear can pic on 03/26/2013 19:53:26 MDT Print View

Below is a picture of a BV450 in my standard sized Arc Blast. It is sitting just on top of the crossbar. The Scout is spec'd at the same length and a 1/4" more diameter. I think it would squeeze in but it will be between the stays and just barely off your back judging from how the BV450 carries. If you carry it higher in the pack there would be plenty of room as the pack bag tapers towards the bottom.Bv450 in a Zpacks Arc Blast

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Re: Arc Blast/Bear can pic on 03/26/2013 21:53:46 MDT Print View

Drew, I really couldn't tell from that pic where the canister is in the Arc Blast... could be on the bottom for all I can make out. Cross bar? I was not aware of a cross bar on the Arc Blast pack... where is the cross bar?

For me, every pack is different and carries a little different, but generally, I like the bear canister at the top of my pack... laying horizontal... I like the heavy things high and near my back, generally. Typically, for me, the bear canister is the last thing to go in (except the things I cram in along side of it after its in)

Horizontal with the longer canisters because then there is more weight higher.
And horizontal with the sorter ones too because these light weight packs don't have much back padding and the curve of the canister tends to put pressure on my bony spine :(

Any way, Drew... so you think the Bearikade Scout will lay horizontal at the top of the Arc Blast? But probably not the Weekender, eh?

I imagine if it fits between the vertical stays then will need some extra padding so it's not so hard on my back... I'm thinking up high near the shoulder strap attachments where the netting is not a factor...

thanks
Bill