Forum Index » GEAR » "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration"

Display Avatars Sort By:
Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Suzanne Summers! on 03/07/2013 19:37:33 MST Print View

She never ages and she can put the "squeeze" in squeeze filter. Someone mentioned thigh master but after hiking all day someone else has to squeeze it!
The only problem is she is only slightly less annoying than a ruptured disk.

On the other hand if it is a 2300 mile hose made they can run a "pair" one with water, the other Bourbon. Just sayin!

Dave Grey
(dapperdave) - F
It's one of these.... on 03/08/2013 11:13:41 MST Print View

Wine Rack?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001FYZZI2/

Dave

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: It's one of these.... on 03/08/2013 11:25:18 MST Print View

Woah! Just realized, women could be THE ULTIMATE XUL!!!! Don't gotta carry all that heavy food and water...

Wonder if a woman could produce enough to sustain herself?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: It's None of these.... on 03/08/2013 11:56:46 MST Print View

Sawyer made the "radical shift" announcement to generate curiosity and excitement. But I wonder if they were expecting the reactions posted here so far? Old farts behaving badly. :)

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
This may be it... on 03/08/2013 21:37:12 MST Print View

http://vimeo.com/60845892

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
^ on 03/08/2013 22:43:03 MST Print View

yea its on their facebook page as a 'new product'

I reaallly hope that isn't their radical new product...

http://www.facebook.com/SawyerProducts?fref=ts

Michael Trefzger
(michaeltrefzger) - MLife

Video of Sawyer Fast Fill Adapter on 03/09/2013 09:49:24 MST Print View

So as we all suspected this idea is FAR from radical but I do think it is a clever adapter for their squeeze filter. Here is a video explaining the product.

http://vimeo.com/60845892#

I can see myself using this for trail running since it's always a pain to get the bladder out of the pack and juggle both the filter and bladder. I don't see myself using this for backpacking since I don't use a hydration bladder for that.

Thanks for chiming in everyone.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Video of Sawyer Fast Fill Adapter on 03/09/2013 10:22:33 MST Print View

I did the same years ago with a katadyn hiker pro. With a pump filter, it lets you get your pack right up to the edge of a stream so you can let it fall in :)

The cure? Wear the pack so you can fall in with it ;)

If the adapter is the new, radical gizmo, the marketing director isn't a hiker!

Loki Cuthbert
(lokbot)

Locale: Portland, OR
That's pretty lame on 03/09/2013 10:23:53 MST Print View

The blue screw on male nipple attachment is redundant. The nipple on it is the same size as the nipple used for the syringe back flush. All you need to do to fill your hydration pouch is pull off your bite valve and push the hose onto the back flush nipple voila now you can gravity fill your hydration pouch without any special adapters.

Edited by lokbot on 03/09/2013 10:26:02 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: That's pretty lame on 03/09/2013 14:51:46 MST Print View

The blue screw on male nipple attachment is redundant.

I'd bet it is also painful!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: That's pretty lame on 03/09/2013 14:56:13 MST Print View

The blue screw on male nipple attachment is redundant.

I'd bet it is also painful!

--------------

Jim, I didn't have coffee in my mouth when I read that, but if I did, it would now be all over my computer screen.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
revolutionary? on 03/09/2013 15:08:07 MST Print View

It would be even more revolutionary if you could actually purchase it. None of their on-line folks carry it, and Sawyer's web-site is malfunctioning.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: That's pretty lame on 03/10/2013 13:18:58 MDT Print View

nothing new at all. stupid hype for nothing.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Yea, damn them! on 03/10/2013 16:04:49 MDT Print View

They didn't reinvent water? STUPID LAB-MONKEYS!!!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Am I the only one? on 03/10/2013 22:46:18 MDT Print View

I actually think this looks pretty cool. I just ordered one. The only reason I'm not using a hydration pack is because it's so tedious to fill on the trail. This product kind of removes that difficulty and lets me filter on the move. I'm sure other people figured out this system long ago, but I hadn't.

Only 7 bucks, too. 14 with shipping. Done!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

This is Radical? on 03/10/2013 23:26:32 MDT Print View

Another backcountry option? Yes. Radical? No.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Am I the only one? on 03/10/2013 23:30:30 MDT Print View

Good luck getting it full if the stuff in your pack is pressing on it.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Figured that. on 03/11/2013 00:09:38 MDT Print View

Yeah, I wouldn't even try.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Figured that. on 03/11/2013 00:29:24 MDT Print View

For me, I dislike placing a water bladder into my pack. After you drink up most of the water, things invariably shift around and sometimes you end up almost having to repack. It's not like you can just slip a bulging bladder into your pack. Good luck doing all that in the rain. As for leaving the bladder inside and refilling per the video -- I don't see the mere force of gravity being able to fill your bladder to bulging -- pushing all other contents out of the way...

I use two 1-liter size bladders -- one on each of the two side pockets of my pack. But I too like the idea of "hands free" hydration. Well, I can achieve exactly the same by simply connecting one of the bottles to my Platypus hydration tube -- with an Aquamira Frontier Pro in-line filter. The one thing I do have to do -- which I don't find onerous at all -- is that after finishing 1 liter -- I need to switch out the empty bladder with a full one (the one in the other side pocket). Takes about a minute (or less). And still a lot easier than opening up the pack, etc. as described above with an in-pack bladder.

Some people might ask whether I feel any imbalance as one bottle gets emptied while the other remains full. In all honesty -- I cannot tell the difference --not even a little bit. Which shouldn't be surprising since we are talking about 1-2 lbs. out of a total pack weight of 20 or so -- and most of it nicely centered!

Other advantages of placing the water bladders outside:

1. No worries about bladder leakage soaking your gear (or worse, sleep bag).
2. You can tell how much water you still have by sight or by feel.
3. It's easy to pull bladders out of side pockets for refill (no need to bring the entire pack down to the stream or to repack a bulging bladder into the pack).
4. Everything being equal, using the side pockets instead of internal pouch means you can get away with a smaller and lighter backpack.

Edited by ben2world on 03/11/2013 00:35:42 MDT.

Mark Fowler
(KramRelwof) - MLife

Locale: Namadgi
Help raise the Google rankings on 03/11/2013 00:54:05 MDT Print View

These pre-announcement announcements really are just a way of lifting the ranking in Google.