Forum Index » GEAR » "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration"

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Trefzger
(michaeltrefzger) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
"New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 17:30:56 MST Print View

Sawyer boldly announced this on their facebook page today:

"ALERT: Within a matter of days we will launch a new product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration. Who is excited?"

Anyone know what this might be?!

Andrew U
(anarkhos) - M

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 17:33:25 MST Print View

A water bottle?

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
I'm praying on 03/06/2013 17:43:57 MST Print View

Please say they've discovered how to make cold beer out of water!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: I'm praying on 03/06/2013 17:44:22 MST Print View

Dehydrated water crystals?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 17:48:24 MST Print View

Those moisture suits from Dune?

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 17:51:34 MST Print View

Maybe they're finally going to admit that the backcountry waters of North America aren't contaminated and that filtering, boiling, UV'ing, and chlorine dioxiding are a waste of time?

Oh, wait, they're a filter company. Never mind.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 17:54:46 MST Print View

can they turn wine into water ?

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Field Hydration on 03/06/2013 17:54:47 MST Print View

Sawyer

Edited by mdilthey on 03/06/2013 17:55:56 MST.

Joshua B
(leukos) - F

Locale: Chicagoland
Revolutionary! on 03/06/2013 17:59:18 MST Print View

I heard it was a collaboration with Coke a Cola to place vending machines every few miles along most trails.....

Edited by leukos on 03/06/2013 21:36:13 MST.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 18:29:47 MST Print View

Michael,

Thanks for posting up and letting us know that something is coming down the line.

If you find out more, please post back and share the news.

I am excited simply because I am considering upgrading from my 1st generation inline filter to the Squeeze filter just for the simplicity.

Maybe this new product will give me something else to consider?

-Tony

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 18:59:41 MST Print View

If it includes bags, they better be durable!

I hate this kind of hype-- just spit it out.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 19:06:25 MST Print View

I thought when Chlorine Dioxide replaced Iodine the debate was finished.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 19:09:13 MST Print View

Wow, BPL is stumped?
I come to this site because we seem to collectively have the answer to everything.
i'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 19:17:03 MST Print View

Actually, they've developed ultralight water. Regular water is of course H2O. They out the oxygen to save weight, leaving only hydrogen behind, which as we all know is lighter than air. Thus, the more "de-oxygenated" water you carry, the lighter your pack. When you get to camp and need water, all you have to do is to breathe into a special filter which reoxygenates the water. Brilliant in it's simplicity, really.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 19:19:27 MST Print View

"Anyone know what this might be?!"

It appears to be marketing hype and nothing else.

--B.G.--

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 19:21:21 MST Print View

Its a new filter that recycles urine.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 19:39:33 MST Print View

"Its a new filter that recycles urine."

Called the Grylls Filter.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Bear pump on 03/06/2013 20:07:34 MST Print View

"Its a new filter that recycles urine."

"Called the Grylls Filter."

First thought outta my head. But that would be Gerber and it lets the bull through...

Edited by dwambaugh on 03/06/2013 20:09:20 MST.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
NEW Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 20:25:18 MST Print View

It's a 2300 miles hose with solar powered boost pumps every 20 miles. Just hope some one doesn't plugin their phone charger while your taking a sip. It takes forever to reprime the pumps.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 20:40:39 MST Print View

Maybe we're approaching this from the wrong end?
Duane