Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration"
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Trefzger
(michaeltrefzger) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
"New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 17:30:56 MST Print View

Sawyer boldly announced this on their facebook page today:

"ALERT: Within a matter of days we will launch a new product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration. Who is excited?"

Anyone know what this might be?!

Andrew U
(anarkhos) - M

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 17:33:25 MST Print View

A water bottle?

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
I'm praying on 03/06/2013 17:43:57 MST Print View

Please say they've discovered how to make cold beer out of water!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: I'm praying on 03/06/2013 17:44:22 MST Print View

Dehydrated water crystals?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 17:48:24 MST Print View

Those moisture suits from Dune?

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 17:51:34 MST Print View

Maybe they're finally going to admit that the backcountry waters of North America aren't contaminated and that filtering, boiling, UV'ing, and chlorine dioxiding are a waste of time?

Oh, wait, they're a filter company. Never mind.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 17:54:46 MST Print View

can they turn wine into water ?

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Field Hydration on 03/06/2013 17:54:47 MST Print View

Sawyer

Edited by mdilthey on 03/06/2013 17:55:56 MST.

Joshua B
(leukos) - F

Locale: Chicagoland
Revolutionary! on 03/06/2013 17:59:18 MST Print View

I heard it was a collaboration with Coke a Cola to place vending machines every few miles along most trails.....

Edited by leukos on 03/06/2013 21:36:13 MST.

Tony Wong
(Valshar) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 18:29:47 MST Print View

Michael,

Thanks for posting up and letting us know that something is coming down the line.

If you find out more, please post back and share the news.

I am excited simply because I am considering upgrading from my 1st generation inline filter to the Squeeze filter just for the simplicity.

Maybe this new product will give me something else to consider?

-Tony

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 18:59:41 MST Print View

If it includes bags, they better be durable!

I hate this kind of hype-- just spit it out.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 19:06:25 MST Print View

I thought when Chlorine Dioxide replaced Iodine the debate was finished.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 19:09:13 MST Print View

Wow, BPL is stumped?
I come to this site because we seem to collectively have the answer to everything.
i'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 19:17:03 MST Print View

Actually, they've developed ultralight water. Regular water is of course H2O. They out the oxygen to save weight, leaving only hydrogen behind, which as we all know is lighter than air. Thus, the more "de-oxygenated" water you carry, the lighter your pack. When you get to camp and need water, all you have to do is to breathe into a special filter which reoxygenates the water. Brilliant in it's simplicity, really.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 19:19:27 MST Print View

"Anyone know what this might be?!"

It appears to be marketing hype and nothing else.

--B.G.--

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 19:21:21 MST Print View

Its a new filter that recycles urine.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 19:39:33 MST Print View

"Its a new filter that recycles urine."

Called the Grylls Filter.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Bear pump on 03/06/2013 20:07:34 MST Print View

"Its a new filter that recycles urine."

"Called the Grylls Filter."

First thought outta my head. But that would be Gerber and it lets the bull through...

Edited by dwambaugh on 03/06/2013 20:09:20 MST.

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
NEW Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 20:25:18 MST Print View

It's a 2300 miles hose with solar powered boost pumps every 20 miles. Just hope some one doesn't plugin their phone charger while your taking a sip. It takes forever to reprime the pumps.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 20:40:39 MST Print View

Maybe we're approaching this from the wrong end?
Duane

Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Re: NEW Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 20:59:28 MST Print View

"It's a 2300 miles hose..."

I almost slipped off my chair laughing at that.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 21:00:16 MST Print View

It's a mini dehumidifier that constantly collects water all day while you hike. One set of CR123s will last 7 days worth of daylight.

Just slept with Sawyer's CEO. I know everything.

Edited by T.L. on 03/06/2013 21:01:38 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 21:34:17 MST Print View

Rehydration enema? That's gonna be a tough sell.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 21:35:56 MST Print View

Just slept with Sawyer's CEO
next time see if you can remain awake so as to have some more detailed info for us.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 21:36:15 MST Print View

>Rehydration enema?

Not as bad as it sounds, really. Wait. er.....nevermind....

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 21:44:49 MST Print View

No wonder they're discontinuing Hydropel...

HJ
Adventures in Stoving

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 21:59:34 MST Print View

@ Travis, who wrote, "Just slept with Sawyer's CEO. I know everything.".

Is your avatar really saying Gay Tweet Again ?? Something is wrong with you, Travis. Something is very wrong with you! :)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 22:00:25 MST Print View

no no no, it "Say Tweet again!"

(Pulp Fiction--great movie)

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/06/2013 22:03:48 MST Print View

It's a new filter than pumps 10% faster and weighs 50% more.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 22:07:20 MST Print View

I hear Sawyer has been working with Ray Jardine to develop Ray-2-O(TM), an all-organic water product that can be made at home with Ray's kit for only $149.

Originally created to hydrate Ray's "Way of Life(TM)" grains, Ray-2-O(TM) has been trail tested over thousands of miles and proven to be both healthier and more cost-effective than standard water. Cut out the middle man!

Combined with Ray Sleep(TM), Ray Walking(TM), and other Ray Way(TM) gear kits, Ray-2-O(TM) had been clinically shown to increase daily mileages, decrease fatigue, and reduce dependency on major name-brand retailers and manufacturers. And perhaps most importantly, it has been proven effective at making Ray and his wife enough cold, hard cash to undertake their next adventure: circumnavigating the globe in a homemade hot air balloon fueled by Ray Potatoes(TM...Coming soon).

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 22:21:09 MST Print View

Craig, F'ing brilliant.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
lint on 03/06/2013 22:33:27 MST Print View

Maybe the channeled Lint's magic wand jedi technique seen here

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1821

(skip to 1:50)

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Beer... on 03/06/2013 22:37:56 MST Print View

Pray God it is "instant beer". Say as many Hail Marys as you see fit.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/06/2013 22:45:14 MST Print View

I know, I know!! They're coming out with a purifier where hikers only need field hydration first thing in the morning -- and then the system will purify and turn output back into input (to put it delicately) -- no more need to obtain additional water (unless you want to) all through the day and into the next! There.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Small Sawyer on 03/06/2013 23:59:28 MST Print View

Think it's possible to shrink the current Sawyer Squeeze to a cap-size? Maybe it's that?

Sorry if I shattered the stream of jokes. Wait, not sorry... ;D

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/07/2013 00:58:29 MST Print View

It is hiking staff that will make water come from rocks and has multiple use features to part oceans and bring a series of plagues to other campers who annoy you.

Moses

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/07/2013 03:34:49 MST Print View

Intravenous Kidney Filter?

Save weight by using your own kidneys* instead of a separate, artificial filter. Includes optional, portable mini-dialysis machines for use in industrial areas.

*kidneys not included

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
No Joke ;-) on 03/07/2013 04:47:18 MST Print View

This was on their website this morning and touted as "Our Newest Product". ;-?

http://www.sawyer.com/video-squeeze.html

$59.99 from Sawyer's online store.

https://www.sawyersafetravel2.com/more.asp?pid=226

..."includes 3 pouches (12oz, 16oz and 32oz) that can be reused hundreds of times. A larger 2 liter capacity bag is also available".

Party On,

Newton

Gerry Brucia
(taedawood) - MLife

Locale: Louisiana, USA
Revolutionary New Hydration Product on 03/07/2013 05:06:58 MST Print View

I am so disappointed. I have been waiting for someone to develop DEHYDRATED WATER for such a long time!

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Revolutionary New Hydration Product on 03/07/2013 06:49:30 MST Print View

Dehydrated water? That was in cans, on the shelf in a gas station east of Austin, NV back in the late 60's.
Duane

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: Dehydrated Water on 03/07/2013 06:55:34 MST Print View

Thanks to David S. back in 2008.

Dehydrated water in that heavy can! ;-)

Bulky and "heavy" canned product. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/07/2013 07:04:36 MST Print View

Seriuosly though. It's going to some kind of filter. Maybe they added a carbon filter. Maybe a smaller better flowing filter for inline use. Hope it's not something stupid like a "groundshattering" bag redesign.

diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
my bet on 03/07/2013 08:16:22 MST Print View

Im betting something that can be used in freezing conditions.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Revolutionary New Hydration Product on 03/07/2013 08:47:16 MST Print View

Max, the only way to disrupt a humour thread is to replace it with a cynicism thread

On the web site they say it has a total field weight of 3 ounces. It looks much like the regular Squeeze (which is great by the way - I'm a big fan). The regular Squeeze weighs 3 ounces. It has the same backflusher as regular Squeeze.

I think that the only difference in this new product is that it has 12, 16, and 32 ounce bags. The original product has 16, 32, and 64 ounce bags.

Another thing, it looks like these are the old bags that people complain about breaking and not the new bags that are supposed to be stronger.

So, my cynical idea is that they're just trying to unload their inventory of old, weak bags.

By the way, I've been using the 64 ounce bags successfully on a number of trips. Maybe you just have to baby them - gently squeeze, don't swing them around holding on to threaded piece when full of water,....

I just wish they'de test them to see if freezing damages them rather than lamely saying they don't know so you better throw it away if you think it might have frozen : )

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/07/2013 09:55:16 MST Print View

"Hope it's not something stupid like a "groundshattering" bag redesign."

That's it! Instead of the Sawyer Squeeze, it'll be called the Sawyer Main Squeeze! Anatomically correct filter bags that you'll want to sleep with too! Keeps your water warm and your heart beating on those cold winter nights!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/07/2013 11:08:03 MST Print View

I really appreciate this thread, which has made me almost fall off my chair laughing (at a not very happy time for me).

Seriously, I just looked at the Sawyer website and strongly suspect it's the same Sawyer Squeeze video as last year. Nothing looks different.

In the meantime, though, the speculation here has been hilarious! Why stop now?

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
marketing on 03/07/2013 11:14:12 MST Print View

remember now that every new shiny product is supposed to change the world ...

without the hype why else would we buy it?

because its functionally and substantially better ???? ..... nah ...

=P

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: marketing on 03/07/2013 11:21:02 MST Print View

we have to buy mores Squeezes to stimulate the economy?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: marketing on 03/07/2013 11:24:12 MST Print View

It's a new SUL version of the Squeeze, called the Pinch.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

marketing on 03/07/2013 11:32:09 MST Print View

Eric, If you don't shut up, I'm going to drive my Segway across the country for a brawl!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Earth Not Shattered - Still Intact on 03/07/2013 12:45:24 MST Print View

Watching the video (link from John Donewar above) -- my Aquamira Frontier Pro is just as versatile -- and it is also significantly lighter and more compact! And unlike Sawyer's -- mine has a carbon core that will improve water taste!

I prefer to act the scaredy cat when dealing with water out in the wilds. Optional, but I like to treat my water with 5 drops of chlorine first -- wait about 20 minutes or so -- then drink through the Frontier Pro.

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Re: "New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration" on 03/07/2013 14:27:59 MST Print View

I'll bet that it is a multi-function product. It's a water filter combined with a thigh master! Two - Two - Two products in one! Filter your water and slim your thighs with one simple device! I am waiting with baited breath.

Gerry Brucia
(taedawood) - MLife

Locale: Louisiana, USA
Re: Re: Dehydrated Water on 03/07/2013 15:00:27 MST Print View

Duane and John,
Leave it to another Louisiana guy to have a picture of the real deal. How could I have missed Dehydrated Water all these years. If only Bernard would repackage it to make it more ultralight!
Thanks for a great laugh.
Gerry

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/07/2013 15:17:42 MST Print View

Perhaps it's a dual use item... combination pee bottle and water purifier. Just don't mix up the caps!

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
SciFi on 03/07/2013 15:19:16 MST Print View

>"It's a water filter combined with a thigh master! Two - Two - Two products in one!"

Like Ken commented early on: The Stillsuits from Frank Herbert's "Dune" - sweat, urine and moisture from feces are all recovered and treated in a body-powered suit to allow survival on a desert planet.

How about a series of drinking water stations along popular trails - streams and rivers will be tapped 10 vertical feet above the trail crossing, run through a filter to a spigot for refilling water bottles? A hollow post (made of recycled plastic) can function as the drinking faucet and a several-gallon reservoir so you can fill quickly upon your arrival and it will trickle refill around the clock.

I actually kind of like the idea for some high-traffic areas. How much riparian-zone riverbank is trashed as parties spread out to find spots, each upstream of the other people, to filter their water?

Yeah, I know, it's a a Wilderness Area(TM), blah, blah, blah but I'm one of those who think if you have established campsites (by policy or by practice) bear boxes are a pretty darn good idea, even in a Wilderness Area. They (1) reduce impact on the area (by keeping wildlife diets more natural) and (2) they weigh 8 tons less than each of those trail switchbacks built up of granite boulders.

Edited to respond to Mike >combination pee bottle and water purifier. "Why is this drinking water so warm?!?"

For cavers, all water bottles are bidirectional. The contents are clear on the way in and yellow on the way out of the cave.

Edited by DavidinKenai on 03/07/2013 15:21:49 MST.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/07/2013 15:33:25 MST Print View

@ Mike W,

That is one recycling method that I can do without! %<{

@ Mary D,

Always good to hear from you. Happy this thread could make you smile.

@ Gerry,

Happy to be of service.

As far as the repackaging goes, open the can and pour the contents into a quart sized ZipLoc bag. Press the seal almost all the way closed and sqeeze out any air leaving only the dehydrated water inside of the ZipLoc. Finish sealing the bag and you are done. :-0

Party On,

Newton

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/07/2013 16:59:31 MST Print View

Its a new filter that recycles urine.
I prefer to think of it as recycled beer.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: New product that radically shifts how backpackers approach field hydration on 03/07/2013 17:17:41 MST Print View

"Its a new filter that recycles urine.

I prefer to think of it as recycled beer."

If you drink Bud/Miller/Coors, same thing.....

And E
(LunchANDYnner)

Adam Sandler on 03/07/2013 17:19:37 MST Print View

Everyone gets their own Water Boy Personal Hydration Assistant, trained by Happy Madison Productions in cooperation with Sawyer and certified by Adam Sandler himself.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Sawyer has come a long way on 03/07/2013 17:41:30 MST Print View

Seems Sawyer has come a long way from the cheap water filters from years back. I believe it was their cheapo water filters I used to see Scouts struggling to pump, then to have the filter blow off into the water. The new filter seems more versatile, longer life, more absolute filtering than Aquamira, no hoses from the brief checking I did. Does Aquamira mention any absolute values?
Duane

Kevin Schneringer
(Slammer) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands
Suzanne Summers! on 03/07/2013 19:37:33 MST Print View

She never ages and she can put the "squeeze" in squeeze filter. Someone mentioned thigh master but after hiking all day someone else has to squeeze it!
The only problem is she is only slightly less annoying than a ruptured disk.

On the other hand if it is a 2300 mile hose made they can run a "pair" one with water, the other Bourbon. Just sayin!

Dave Grey
(dapperdave) - F
It's one of these.... on 03/08/2013 11:13:41 MST Print View

Wine Rack?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001FYZZI2/

Dave

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: It's one of these.... on 03/08/2013 11:25:18 MST Print View

Woah! Just realized, women could be THE ULTIMATE XUL!!!! Don't gotta carry all that heavy food and water...

Wonder if a woman could produce enough to sustain herself?

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: It's None of these.... on 03/08/2013 11:56:46 MST Print View

Sawyer made the "radical shift" announcement to generate curiosity and excitement. But I wonder if they were expecting the reactions posted here so far? Old farts behaving badly. :)

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
This may be it... on 03/08/2013 21:37:12 MST Print View

http://vimeo.com/60845892

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
^ on 03/08/2013 22:43:03 MST Print View

yea its on their facebook page as a 'new product'

I reaallly hope that isn't their radical new product...

http://www.facebook.com/SawyerProducts?fref=ts

Michael Trefzger
(michaeltrefzger) - MLife

Video of Sawyer Fast Fill Adapter on 03/09/2013 09:49:24 MST Print View

So as we all suspected this idea is FAR from radical but I do think it is a clever adapter for their squeeze filter. Here is a video explaining the product.

http://vimeo.com/60845892#

I can see myself using this for trail running since it's always a pain to get the bladder out of the pack and juggle both the filter and bladder. I don't see myself using this for backpacking since I don't use a hydration bladder for that.

Thanks for chiming in everyone.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Video of Sawyer Fast Fill Adapter on 03/09/2013 10:22:33 MST Print View

I did the same years ago with a katadyn hiker pro. With a pump filter, it lets you get your pack right up to the edge of a stream so you can let it fall in :)

The cure? Wear the pack so you can fall in with it ;)

If the adapter is the new, radical gizmo, the marketing director isn't a hiker!

Loki Cuthbert
(lokbot) - F

Locale: Portland, OR
That's pretty lame on 03/09/2013 10:23:53 MST Print View

The blue screw on male nipple attachment is redundant. The nipple on it is the same size as the nipple used for the syringe back flush. All you need to do to fill your hydration pouch is pull off your bite valve and push the hose onto the back flush nipple voila now you can gravity fill your hydration pouch without any special adapters.

Edited by lokbot on 03/09/2013 10:26:02 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: That's pretty lame on 03/09/2013 14:51:46 MST Print View

The blue screw on male nipple attachment is redundant.

I'd bet it is also painful!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: That's pretty lame on 03/09/2013 14:56:13 MST Print View

The blue screw on male nipple attachment is redundant.

I'd bet it is also painful!

--------------

Jim, I didn't have coffee in my mouth when I read that, but if I did, it would now be all over my computer screen.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
revolutionary? on 03/09/2013 15:08:07 MST Print View

It would be even more revolutionary if you could actually purchase it. None of their on-line folks carry it, and Sawyer's web-site is malfunctioning.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: That's pretty lame on 03/10/2013 13:18:58 MDT Print View

nothing new at all. stupid hype for nothing.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Yea, damn them! on 03/10/2013 16:04:49 MDT Print View

They didn't reinvent water? STUPID LAB-MONKEYS!!!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Am I the only one? on 03/10/2013 22:46:18 MDT Print View

I actually think this looks pretty cool. I just ordered one. The only reason I'm not using a hydration pack is because it's so tedious to fill on the trail. This product kind of removes that difficulty and lets me filter on the move. I'm sure other people figured out this system long ago, but I hadn't.

Only 7 bucks, too. 14 with shipping. Done!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

This is Radical? on 03/10/2013 23:26:32 MDT Print View

Another backcountry option? Yes. Radical? No.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Am I the only one? on 03/10/2013 23:30:30 MDT Print View

Good luck getting it full if the stuff in your pack is pressing on it.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Figured that. on 03/11/2013 00:09:38 MDT Print View

Yeah, I wouldn't even try.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Figured that. on 03/11/2013 00:29:24 MDT Print View

For me, I dislike placing a water bladder into my pack. After you drink up most of the water, things invariably shift around and sometimes you end up almost having to repack. It's not like you can just slip a bulging bladder into your pack. Good luck doing all that in the rain. As for leaving the bladder inside and refilling per the video -- I don't see the mere force of gravity being able to fill your bladder to bulging -- pushing all other contents out of the way...

I use two 1-liter size bladders -- one on each of the two side pockets of my pack. But I too like the idea of "hands free" hydration. Well, I can achieve exactly the same by simply connecting one of the bottles to my Platypus hydration tube -- with an Aquamira Frontier Pro in-line filter. The one thing I do have to do -- which I don't find onerous at all -- is that after finishing 1 liter -- I need to switch out the empty bladder with a full one (the one in the other side pocket). Takes about a minute (or less). And still a lot easier than opening up the pack, etc. as described above with an in-pack bladder.

Some people might ask whether I feel any imbalance as one bottle gets emptied while the other remains full. In all honesty -- I cannot tell the difference --not even a little bit. Which shouldn't be surprising since we are talking about 1-2 lbs. out of a total pack weight of 20 or so -- and most of it nicely centered!

Other advantages of placing the water bladders outside:

1. No worries about bladder leakage soaking your gear (or worse, sleep bag).
2. You can tell how much water you still have by sight or by feel.
3. It's easy to pull bladders out of side pockets for refill (no need to bring the entire pack down to the stream or to repack a bulging bladder into the pack).
4. Everything being equal, using the side pockets instead of internal pouch means you can get away with a smaller and lighter backpack.

Edited by ben2world on 03/11/2013 00:35:42 MDT.

Mark Fowler
(KramRelwof) - MLife

Locale: Namadgi
Help raise the Google rankings on 03/11/2013 00:54:05 MDT Print View

These pre-announcement announcements really are just a way of lifting the ranking in Google.