SMD lunar duo for my hippy dad??
Display Avatars Sort By:
scree ride
(scree)
hiking hippie hut on 03/07/2013 09:58:29 MST Print View

I think I may know your dad.
I just ordered the Lunar Duo. Almost went with the Stratosphere, but the Duo looked like I could use a couple fewer stakes. A little simpler tent I thought. The SS was more of a 4 season tent. Both Ron and Henry promptly answered any questions I had. It was a hard decision. Both good deals as far as the market goes, yet a lot of money to me. Unfortunately I could only get one. The LD just seemed to fit me better and was a couple bucks cheaper to boot. Besides "Six Moons", wasn't that going to be your birth name? how hippie can you get?
You have to have room for the wife, even if she never goes. If you have to ask why, either you've never been married, or you're divorced.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Actually I wonder sometimes if some of you might BE my dad... on 03/07/2013 18:20:23 MST Print View

I sent him some of my favorites from the list (particularly the supermid, lunar duo, LHG duo, trailstar - cause i want that one - and the statospire 2). Now I think he wants to make one.

Of course, he also thinks he can do his own appendectomy in his workshop, so perhaps I'm not surprised.

I've sent him the thread about what happens if you try to sew a cuben tarp without knowing what you're doing; hopefully no good cuben will be harmed.....

Lance Stalnaker
(Katangi)
Lunar Duo on 03/07/2013 22:05:28 MST Print View

I have the Duo and had the solo. The Duo has a lot of space for the weight. I have seen the TT DR and the Duo has quite a bit more usable space and feels quite a bit bigger. It also has a simple design and is easy to pitch. I use it when my wife is along, although, I think she is ready to switch to Hammocks. I started using a hammock after a pretty bad lower back injury, it is the most comfortable I have ever slept in the back country. If your dad is willing, he should give a hammock a try, he could just find a local hammock hang and try a few out to see if he likes it. when you have bad knees, back, arthritis, etc, a hammock can make a difference.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
I think I'm going with the stratospire 2 on 03/08/2013 21:31:43 MST Print View

First of all, now I see why so many of you have so many shelters. How does one decide??!! I get out quite a bit for short weekend jaunts, but boy can I not justify having all the shelters I want to buy!!

Anyway...I am soooo leaning towards the stratospire 2...seems like a great space, lots of flexibility, I can use it for a mild winter shelter as well, and not too heavy.

Now I just have to talk my dad out of why he needs a free standing tent. He just can't get out of 1973 when it comes to camping gear. You should have seen the trouble I went through to get him to toss the dry rotted, rusted be-buckled external frame behemoth he used during all his trips through boundary waters, MN. In 1970.

I really need to get him active in this forum...he's so excited about his svea 123 and his plastic green army canteen...now he wants to make a canvas pup tent. He gets very excited about making alky stoves, too. He'd fit right in with a lot of you :)