Forum Index » GEAR » which tent to get

Display Avatars Sort By:
kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Latin proverbs to climb by on 06/30/2005 01:53:49 MDT Print View

Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!

and on that note--good night.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest
Re: *BEEP* on 06/30/2005 02:27:32 MDT Print View

To Kevin & Ben,

Were both of your Epic shelters seamed sealed? If not, could this acct. for the diff in pers. exper.???

I own a BD Lightsabre. One of my favorite bivy shelters for obvious reasons. However, i don't use it if i know heavy or long duration rains are in the forecast. Yes...i do carry a poncho tarp as rain gear, so if i wasn't so abysmal at pitching it properly, i could count on the p-t to keep most of the rain off of the LtSbr.

I do find that, when wearing my Epic windshirt, my arms almost never wet through when extending from my poncho even after hours in the rain. However, that's my forearms. I don't mind if they get wet. My bag, gear, & body is another story.

Last night's rains ended early. Only ~6 hrs of rain & some light sprinkles for a while afterwards - don't know how long - fell asleep, but rain had stopped by 0315 when i got up for work. Just during the heavy part we got 4" in just a tad over 4hrs & a bit over 4" total. result = a bit of flooding in low areas & some road closures in low areas due to flooding.

I'm a little leery of finding out if the LtSbr would have survived wetting through under these conditions via a field experiment w/o some input fr/more knowledgeable & experienced individuals like yourselves. i think i know what Ben will say, but not sure if Kevin feels the Epic fabric employed in the LtSbr would have survived such heavy rains. Do y'all think my seam-sealed LtSbr could have survived? Please give me you input. I'd appreciate it.

Edited by pj on 06/30/2005 04:02:48 MDT.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Latin proverbs to climb by on 06/30/2005 02:41:14 MDT Print View

Kevin,

not sure what you meant by this. are we still playing nice with one another?

the latin teacher in high school was quite knowledgeable (he was so old, latin might have been his native tongue!), i however am not. my latin is very rusty (& so is my greek for that matter, though my greek is quite a bit better). 'anulos' can be translated a few diff ways, & so could give rise to very diff. meanings. also, when coupled with 'animum' might take on a very bad modern day slang meaning - Jerome or Augustine of Hippo would never have intended it that way however. if this is what you mean by it, then a better word could have been used than 'animum' perhaps.

'gestemus' (had to look this one up for it's conjugation & meanings) = 1pers pres act subj for "wear" ("i might be wearing/"i might wear" in english, perhaps), "bear", or "carry". this is the part of the sentence that confuses the entire meaning for me. i know that i'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so what am i missing here?

not sure of the meaning of the sentence, would you care to translate, or should we just have the BPL editors remove your post due to its possible meaning? they could then trash mine (i.e. this post) also to preserve "thread continuity".

of course, another possible understanding does result in a very nice proverb. i'm not real clear on a precise translation of this understanding either, but get the general idea. are some of the words are not inflected properly? could this be what is confusing me?
("what fetters [not the best xltn of anulos] the mind/spirit reveals all/every weight" - is this what you're saying? i'm not going to give the alternative more vulgar translation.)

bona nox [both vocative case, so xlt'd "good night" (..."to you", implied by the vocative case)].

p.s.

if you feel both Ben & i are missing the boat on Epic, then perhaps the following would be appropriate:

"Si coecus coeco ducatum praestet, ambo in foveam cadunt" which means "If a blind man a blind one leads [or leadership exercises], both into a pit fall.", or in better English: "If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit."

Here's a Latin slogan for all L/UL trekkers, esp. y'all out west who sometimes (most of the time???) actually risk your lives/well-being in the high Rockies in inclement weather or are exposed to conditions which at times are not compatible with human life unless you know what you're doing (...me...i'm just a wimp. i generally don't take risks any longer. i do, however, truly admire what y'all do in terms of the terrain y'all traverse, your unsupported treks, and the like.):

between your gear & your skills, y'all are (or should be):

Nunquam non paratus!!!
Never........not...prepared!!!

Jacob,... this slogan would also apply to you since you 'walkabout' in a place where anything that bites you could kill you (such is my uneducated, naive impression of your great Country & its fauna...hey...even some of its flora can be downright nasty if it rubs up against your skin, right?!).

Edited by pj on 06/30/2005 08:12:47 MDT.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Latin 'r us and Lightsabres on 06/30/2005 08:37:38 MDT Print View

PJ--we are absolutely playing nice with each other.
That little latin tag was an attempt at a humorous non sequitor in a case of escalating latinisms.
Translated--" Let's all wear mood rings"
I could have just as easily have written "Nunc est bibendum"--now it's time to drink.

Can't comment on the Light Sabre as I have not used it.I have used goretex bivy-tents and based on those experiences,I would be concerned about continually coming into contact with the shelter material and causing leakage (thru wicking? stress on seams? oil contamination?) in the face of heavy precip.

My fortunate experiences may be attributed to pitching tauntly, keeping tent clean,not touching sidewalls,and decent seam sealing inspected before each trip. In short,good sense.

Perhaps there are manufacturing variances in the production of Epic 'malibu" fabric that can account for our differing takes.

But enough of this--it's time to fetishize another piece of gear. Lets.

jacob thompson
(nihilist37) - F
Your right on 06/30/2005 08:52:55 MDT Print View

A little off topic.

Your absolutely right PJ, We do seem to have extremely disproportionate numbers of dangerous little beasties here. Something like 9/10 of the most deadly snakes and spiders are about the same. Plenty of plants too will give you a nice bite if your not careful (though just out of general knowledge the antidotes for these plants usually grow within a few yards of the plants). I've seen a few people using leaves as TP and having a not so pleasant surprise.

However having said this, maybe its not all it's made out to be. I understand these features of Australia become general knowledge and assumed truth in most countries, as do American aspects displayed by hollywood in other countries. I grew up in the bush (Aussie terms for backcounty) and I've been barefoot for quite a while. In all my times wandering I've never encountered any problems. In fact the only bad thing in this context that I have seen was on a 2 week long training week for cadets (our version of ROTC). A kid was hit by a snake and had to get help. Luckily we were on a huge military base/ training ground. ( Actually I remember hauling those huge army packs around, I packed mine light and used to carry some of my friends gear to get a little pocket money.)

One of the most valuable things for hiking amongst all that I learned in the years I spent in the cadet corp was first aid for use in the field. They taught us first aid every week for years. Whilst I didn't enjoy it so much then it has paid off in the long run. Since then I have done first aid certificates and increased my skills. I think if anyone wishes to hike that a first aid course is a must. The reason I take so few first aid items is because I feel like I know what I'm doing if something went wrong. Thankfully I haven't had to use the knowledge for anything more than a splinter removal yet.

Edited by nihilist37 on 06/30/2005 08:55:44 MDT.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Latin 'r us and Lightsabres on 06/30/2005 08:56:27 MDT Print View

Kevin,

"rings" is a good translation of "anulos" (both "anus"/"anuses"(pl. sp.???) & "fetters" are also correct, but perhaps not as common)

i'm a bit skeptical of some of the rest of your translation though. yours is a pretty "loose" translation of some of those Latin words. no offense intended, but your latin appears to have accumulated more rust than mine. though your sense of humor is obviously better developed than my weird sense of humor.

also, your gear/backpacking knowledge seems to be of a much higher nature though (and far superior to mine).

...and on this website, that's what is important (not Latin).

thanks for replying and giving me advice.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Your right on 06/30/2005 09:24:57 MDT Print View

i think we'll just blame steve irwin (sp???) & paul hogan for givin' us the wrong ideas 'bout the "Land-down-under". ;)

Dwayne Thompson
(atonat) - F
Stephenson Tent on 06/30/2005 09:29:52 MDT Print View

Verndal Lee

There's not any netting on the door except at the upper and lower vents, that's why I think it is is best to get the Side Windows. Great Tent though, Mine weighs in @ 3/lbs on my digital scales.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Re: *BEEP* on 06/30/2005 09:46:54 MDT Print View

Paul:

I sealed my tent inside and out before exposing it to the rain.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: Re: *BEEP* on 06/30/2005 09:49:04 MDT Print View

Thanks Ben. good to know. guess, i won't be takin' any chances then.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Re: Latin 'r us and Lightsabres on 06/30/2005 11:37:30 MDT Print View

PJ--you are too kind. My Latin is indeed a rusty west coast geek latin. "anulos" was indeed meant to be "ring" and nothing vulgar. But in the interest of clarity,in future I will stick to living languages!

citius altius fortius...et linter

higher,faster, stronger....and lighter

and now back to Tents.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: Latin 'r us and Lightsabres on 06/30/2005 13:40:07 MDT Print View

Kevin,

that one i knew w/o the xltn (i've watched the Olympic Games also). like your addition, though, but "linter" is, if i am not mistaken, a small boat like a dingy. instead, try...

citius altius fortius...et levius (light/lightly or nimble/nimbly, depending upon the context, i.e. used as an adj or adv). also, to adhere to your latin word order, translate it "swifter, higher, stronger ...and lighter"

we get our english word levitate/levitation from "levius" & its cognates.

why should only major universities have all the fun with Latin slogans?!! but then...hopefully, we're grads of Dr. J's BPL U.

bona fortuna,
pj

Edited by pj on 06/30/2005 14:06:30 MDT.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

next time It'll be esparanto on 06/30/2005 14:05:41 MDT Print View

akkk! a senior moment at 40 ! of course it's levius.
that's enough levity, now, back to our sponsor.

Edited by kdesign on 06/30/2005 14:09:57 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Latin proverbs to climb by on 06/30/2005 14:13:36 MDT Print View

Um, once again showing my ignorance, pray tell, what are "mood rings"?

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
mood rings on 06/30/2005 14:19:48 MDT Print View

Back in the late sixties, early seventy's (can still be found though) you could get a ring with a stone in it that changes colours based on your body temperature. Amount of moisture may have been taken into account as well. Along with the ring came a card that explained the different colours meaning, i.e. black=bad mood, blue=cheerful, green=sensual or whatever the code was.

Edited by mikes on 06/30/2005 14:20:47 MDT.

paul johnson
(pj) - F

Re: Re: Latin proverbs to climb by on 06/30/2005 14:24:58 MDT Print View

Ben,

it's not your "ignorance" (sic) that you are showing. rather, it's more probably your age. you're a young'un, right? no need to ans. none of my business anyways. i can't even recall when they were popular or if my kids (all adults now) even had them.

as i recall, ...never had one myself mind you, ...they employed thermo-chromatic crystals & changed color depending upon capillary dilation/constriction resulting in a change in the surface temp of the skin. therefore, they were either supposed to show everyone what mood you were in, or they were a poor man's "lie detector". in point of fact, wouldn't becoming both "angry" or "amorous" have produced a similar "mood" color??? maybe someone wasn't "fearful", but either suffered from Reynaud's Syndrome, or it was just plain cold outside. The Moon Ring Fad probably didn't last long (can't recall how long they were popular).

maybe Kevin can ans this ques better than i?

EDIT:

Thanks Mike. Was it that long ago? Moisture would prob have just served to conduct body temp (heat) better.

Edited by pj on 06/30/2005 14:28:38 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Latin proverbs to climb by on 06/30/2005 14:34:34 MDT Print View

Mike and Paul:

Thanks for your answers. I "need" to get one of those. Off to Ebay... :)

CanisFemina Tota
(CanisFeminaTota) - F
Speaking of Latin... on 06/30/2005 14:45:18 MDT Print View

Hello, darlings!

My, my... I love mood rings.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

We're all a bunch of sillies--time to hit the trail on 06/30/2005 15:07:56 MDT Print View

what have I done ? mea maxima culpa !

can't...take..much...more....
must.... climb .... mountain.....

Ken Helwig
(kennyhel77) - MLife

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA
Mood Rings? on 06/30/2005 15:16:35 MDT Print View

ahh brings me back to another time. I thought this forum was about backpacking...LOL.