Zebralight H600
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: AA vs CR123 Zebralights on 03/06/2013 10:07:06 MST Print View

Thanks, Brendan. Is there any advantage of the CR123 Steripens over the AA ones? Seems like the CR123 ones are more popular.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
CR123 Steripens over the AA ones on 03/06/2013 10:09:07 MST Print View

CR123 Steripens are lighter.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
502 on 03/06/2013 10:14:38 MST Print View

Thanks, Steven. That makes sense.

I don't see an H502 version of the H51W. Is the H502c High CRI Neutral White similar? Seems like the only 502s available now on the Zebra site are flood...

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Re: AA vs CR123 Zebralights on 03/06/2013 13:58:31 MST Print View

Well this thread has turned into a battery discussion, but I do find the comments "illuminating." I connected offline with BPL member Ben who travels extensively internationally and uses a Steripen Adventurer. He says one set of CR123 lithium batteries can last him 1.5 to 2 months of daily or near daily use.

While Brendan raises a good point about the superior runtime of the AA model Zebralights (the same applies to the AA Steripens that last twice as long), I do wonder if the smaller form factor and ability to carry a spare battery favor the the CR123 models.

Phillip Asby
(PGAsby) - M

Locale: North Carolina
interesting on 03/06/2013 18:18:27 MST Print View

I'll say as a flashaholic that the cr123 cell has a significant following in the light world mostly because in the size/power equation it is the best cell. The brightest and lightest lights almost always use them. Some of that stems from surefire who dominantly use the cr123. And high end lights like mcgizmo as well.

None of which necessarily translates to lightweight backpacking other than cr123 lights will generally be smaller lighter and brighter than single cell aa lights (14500 compatible lights excepted). The cost is usually runtime as the larger aa has a higher power density. Of course an 18650 has even more power reserves and output... but much larger.

Ultimately you need to pick what you are comfortable with based on your needs. I'd likely not through hike the at with a cr123 light but am comfortable in week long settings - my modded Novatac will run for more than 30 days at the lowest level which is fine for around camp activities if not hiking.