Forum Index » GEAR » Most Breathable Bivy?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Exped? on 03/06/2013 19:33:39 MST Print View

a double bivy with a hemorrhoid, Ken?

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.wordpress.com
No Sarcasm? on 03/06/2013 19:36:09 MST Print View

The picture is the 2P, there is a 1P and it's okay. I like the look of almost every other eVent bivy I've seen a little more.

Also, can't tell if you're being sarcastic for obvious reasons... ;)

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locus on 03/06/2013 19:38:55 MST Print View

Looking closer at the Locus gear Pneuma Bivy. This could be a real contender, since it's super lightweight compared to a lot of the other Bivy bags. I sent an e-mail out to the company for details, since I don't speak japanese. If I can get one with a little more bugnet I might be sold. As much as I like the Epic, I think it might be more Bivy than I need; it's huge! But we'll wait and see.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
MLD eVent Soul Bivy on 03/06/2013 19:49:55 MST Print View

Looks comfy eh?

Bivy

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Exped? on 03/06/2013 19:59:24 MST Print View

"a double bivy with a hemorrhoid, Ken?"

Ken hasn't come with a double bivy in a long time....

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
Locus Gear on 03/07/2013 00:18:42 MST Print View

But a total eVent bivy is available / in production by Locus Gear. No custom order needed.

edit - just saw the last post, cool.
I'm sure they will answer soon enough with an answer on a possible bigger ventilation window.

As an aside, you can also ask for different sizes for the eVent, as in the Tyvek bivy:
S: 204 cm long, 257gr.
M: 218 cm long, 282gr.
L: 233 cm long, 304gr.
(weights incl. stuffsack).

Edited by jakuchu on 03/07/2013 00:27:25 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Custom Order on 03/07/2013 00:21:39 MST Print View

I e-mailed Locus. Will update.

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic Canada
Re: MLD Also Up There on 03/07/2013 05:32:56 MST Print View

I recently emailed Ron about his eVent bivy because I did not see it on his site anymore, and I was curious if he had stopped making them. He replied that he is currently out of eVent, but it is on order. The bivy should be back up on his site after he gets the fabric in.

Jan S
(karl-ton)
eVent on 03/07/2013 06:34:39 MST Print View

I own a ID Bugaboo bivy and have used it in winter at about -10 C and in spring (5 C to 10 C). Haven't had any real condensation issues. In winter there was some condensation frozen to the inside but it was never enough to get into the downs of the bag. I haven't used the bivy in really wet or humid conditions.

Please note that if the outer layer of a membrane gets really soaked (should only happen if you just use the bivy in hard rain) it just stops breathing altogether and you will get condensation issues. It stays waterproof however.

Multi-layer membrane cloth will always be heavier then the non membrane stuff. And most of the eVent (and Gore or whatever) bivies seem to be made to be used without tarp as only shelter. If you know you're going to use a tarp I think you're better of to look for a bivy with a good DWR treatment and forget all about the real water proof stuff. I don't see how a membrane can outperform anything in humid and wet conditions if you don't need the full protection because you're using a tarp. If you are worried about getting soaked under the tarp I'd ask myself if the tarp is up to the job and if I should learn to pitch it better. Using the cannon of a full weatherproof bivy bag seems overkill under a tarp.

That said these bivy bags have their uses (summit assaults above treeline, emergency use, getting a place to sleep without spending time to set up a tarp, really small footprint), but sleeping below treeline in an area with reasonable sized solid ground isn't one of them - no matter the outside conditions.

Edited by karl-ton on 03/07/2013 06:47:06 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: eVent on 03/07/2013 09:22:41 MST Print View

I have both the ID Unishelter in Event and the original Big Agnes 3 Wire (if you do a search on these forums you will see my review / comparison of both). I use these during high altitude forays but never where I would or could experience rain. Getting in and out of them when it is raining is an enourmous pain and you will get wet like ANY bivy shelter (these are more small tents like the Uber Bivy).

Having said that, the Big Agnes 3 Wire is well under 2 lbs, does not require pegs, has a 1/2 length mesh door, and a full canopy of eVent. I wonder if this falls into the OP's requirements?

b

Daniel Fish
(daniel@fishfamilypdx.com)

Locale: PDX
... on 03/07/2013 13:22:14 MST Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/12/2013 16:45:21 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Rab on 03/07/2013 13:28:29 MST Print View

Did you check out Rab?

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Confused on 03/07/2013 14:02:03 MST Print View

I don't understand why you'd consider a heavy, waterproof bivy. If I understand right, you will be under a trailstar. I would generally use no bivy under a trailstar. It covers a large area. Its easy to stay dry underneath. If I was going to carry a bivy for use under a trailstar, I think a bug bivy is plenty. At most, a bivy with a superlight dwr nylon top would be overkill protection-wise and way more breathable than any waterproof bivy.

So...for me, first option would be no bivy, second option would be a bug bivy, third option would be a light nylon dwr bivy.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Confused on 03/07/2013 14:36:53 MST Print View

So a Trailstar plus Hooped Bivy gets you to approximately 50oz with pegs and guyline.

What the hell is the point?

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Where'd you get 50? on 03/07/2013 14:50:48 MST Print View

Locus bivy = 10.7oz
Trailstar = 17oz
Stakes = 0.4 x 5 = 2oz

Total weight: 29.7oz

Doesn't look like 50 to me! It's 1.8lbs. That's pretty light.

Edited by mdilthey on 03/07/2013 14:52:19 MST.

Tyler Barcelli
(youngster) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Confused on 03/07/2013 14:51:44 MST Print View

I agree. I'm not sure I see the point of getting and using both. It appears your rationale is for when you are in exposed conditions during bad weather. I would much rather just use something like a MLD Duomid. Bo bivy required and about as bomber as you can get at that weight. Not sure if it has been mentioned as to be honest I didn't read through all the posts as I have no desire to ever use a waterproof "breathable" bivy. Bivies were created for a very specific purpose of alpine adventures.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Where'd you get 50? on 03/07/2013 14:58:35 MST Print View

Aha - so the bivy 'Uber' bivy is not on the menu.

That lineup looks better. But honestly, just put a decent groundsheet down and ditch the bivy. Just a comment regarding weights. Seamsealed with attached guys and pegs to hold in windy weather the weight of my Trailstar was just under 24oz. You will still likely come in at almost 2.5lbs. Which is fine but again, at that weight why not just get a tent.....; )

What bag / quilt are you using or have you already mentioned that?

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

You're right, of course. on 03/07/2013 15:00:58 MST Print View

Just using a tent has been mentioned, and considered, but politely disregarded. To put it simply, you don't have the whole story. You're trying to categorize all the camping I'm going to do for the next 5 years by one question about one potential condition: a serious storm.

This is the shelter setup I'm looking for. I want to optimize the bivy/tarp combo for serious weather, but owning a bivy bag lets me do some serious overnight fast/light trips and endurance races, winter camping, and maybe sometime some rock climbing trips (I'm an amateur boulderer right now).

Owning a great tarp means everyone who says "Why not just use the Trailstar?" is correct. Yes, I will do LOTS and LOTS of trips with just the Trailstar. Don't worry.

I don't know if this thread needs to keep going every time someone sees the OP and then skips 7 pages and contributes something that's already been said. All the OP questions have been answered and I have e-mails in with three companies.

So, I'm all set. Thanks, everyone!

Edited by mdilthey on 03/07/2013 15:02:03 MST.

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: Where'd you get 50? on 03/07/2013 15:02:54 MST Print View

Edit: He's all set. No more questions.

Edited by karl-ton on 03/07/2013 15:05:18 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Bag/Quilt on 03/07/2013 15:04:09 MST Print View

Well, right now I just choose between a 20º EMS bag and a 45º MH Ultralamina, depending on temperature. The Ultralamina is light enough, but the EMS bag is just at 3lbs. It's a Solstice. 3lbs is pretty atrocious, but it's a great bag so I'll wear it out before I replace it unless I have a good reason to.