Most Breathable Bivy?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: Not asking for mind readers, just conscientious readers. on 03/06/2013 13:45:16 MST Print View

I can't believe no one has mentioned a bivy made from Unobtanium!

An Unobtanium bivy would definitely will cover all those conditions.

Richard Fischel
(RICKO) - F
"I can't believe no one has mentioned a bivy made from Unobtanium!" on 03/06/2013 14:05:55 MST Print View

you sir have won the internet.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: "I can't believe no one has mentioned a bivy made from Unobtanium!" on 03/06/2013 14:10:11 MST Print View

>you sir have won the internet.

LOL

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Not asking for mind readers, just conscientious readers. on 03/06/2013 14:10:15 MST Print View

"An Unobtanium bivy would definitely will cover all those conditions."

Indeed. And it will float so no ground water issue. Alas, the OP has deemed that he is not made of money and hence, it will be out of his price range.

Excellent choice, however.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Most Breathable Bivy on 03/06/2013 14:34:47 MST Print View

Honestly Max, like others are saying, it's tough to find one bivy that will perform all that you want it to in all kinds of conditions. A bivy with a solid top made out of a breathable water resistant fabric can work well in snowy or wet and windy conditions but can be a sauna in warm, buggy conditions. A bug bivy is great for warmer nights and/or bug season but might not provide enough protection from the elements in a really wild weather event.

To some extent, you're going to have to compromise somewhere; either accept some loss of breathibility in favor of more weather protection or accept a loss of some weather protection in favor of more breathibility. Only you can decide what's more important for you and your intended use.

Just as an aside, you could easily get one of each style of bivy (a bug bivy and a breathable DWR bivy) together for under $200 by ordering from someone like Borah Gear. There's probably others too. Then you have the flexibility to take whichever bivy better suits your anticipated conditions. Each one could probably weigh in under 7 or 8 oz.

You don't have to spend a fortune...

Herbert Sitz
(hes)

Locale: Pacific NW
Notch inner nettent. . . on 03/06/2013 15:30:24 MST Print View

"Yeah, I mean, I didn't say anything about snow. I just feel like if you make a Bivy thread and someone reccomends a Notch, it's off-track."

I was the one who suggested the Notch inner nettent with partial solid sides, since you're so concerned about splash. I did not suggest a Notch; you purchase the solid nettent separately. John at BearPaw designs can also make reasonably priced inners out of materials of your choice.

Edited by hes on 03/06/2013 15:38:10 MST.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Trailstar on 03/06/2013 16:08:27 MST Print View

Anyone else scratching their head about why Max chose a second shelter for a specific set of weather conditions that itself doesn't work for those conditions?

So Max, why the Trailstar if it doesn't do the job you're buying it to do? And the mini trailstar at that...a shelter that isn't even released or tested yet

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
ID eVent bag on 03/06/2013 16:57:31 MST Print View

What Stephen said:

The Integral Designs eVent bag IS the gold standard of breathable bivy bags.

DISCLAIMER: Being of the "tenter persuasion" I need a bivy bag only for snow shelters and that requires a WPB bag.

Edited by Danepacker on 03/06/2013 17:00:07 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Re: Re: Bivy on 03/06/2013 18:03:24 MST Print View

" If not, send it back, and I'll refund your money.
Sounds like a common sense approach to solve the question :)"

David, you are very generous. I love these forums.

If the Uber bivy is the bivy for me, I'll figure it out in the long run, and I won't need a return because I don't doubt it's reputation will stand!

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Starting to feel like a martyr... on 03/06/2013 18:13:20 MST Print View

Hey guys,

I'm not ignoring anyone's advice, I'm not saying anyone's wrong. Don't get rowdy ;) I've seen threads go this way before. Relax!

I'll try to shore up a couple things:

1. I came here with a pretty good idea of what I was looking for, based on the areas I expect to go, the speed I want to set up at, the weight I want to carry, and the type of conditions I know exist (because I've been in them several times). Modularity is another factor. I didn't ask what the best option was because I didn't need to; I know what I'm ready to try out. A good tarp and a bivy. Other people do it, too, not just me.

My OP is specific!

2. People are latching onto whether I have money or not. Get over it! I'll take care of my finances, you can ignore that. I just wanted to imply that being a "budget" bivy wouldn't impact my decision, only functionality.

3. I now have some understanding that e-Vent is the best WPB fabric for this, and I understand the limits of ALL types of Bivys. All I'm trying to figure out is who's making an e-Vent bivy with a bugnet opening around the hood today.

That's it!

Read #3 again! That's the limit of my questions!

Remember that stuff I said in the OP? That was six pages ago. I have learned, and my opinion and expectations have grown, too. My OP is ancient history thanks to so many people's good advice.

I feel like it's falling on deaf ears, but THANK YOU for your help. Don't stop being helpful to ridicule me because you *think* I'm some fool who's ignoring advice and looking for a perfect shelter that doesn't exist.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Starting to feel like a martyr... on 03/06/2013 19:00:06 MST Print View

Max,

I think your options are this - want UL and fairly breathable, go with any number of the DWR nylon 6 oz bivys out there. If you can live with less UL, but more breathable, give the Uber Bivy a shot. Given the fabrics involved I think it will breathe fairly well. It's also pretty roomy which I think was something you are looking for too. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong here, this is a long thread. :)

Worse case scenario - you buy the Uber Bivy and it sucks. Get your money back.

Ryan

Edited by ViolentGreen on 03/06/2013 19:03:34 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Re: Uber Bivy checks out. on 03/06/2013 19:07:20 MST Print View

Thanks Ryan,

I'm already in touch with David about the nitty-gritty of the Uber bivy. It's almost a guarantee that I'm going to be testing it out.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Starting to feel like a martyr... on 03/06/2013 19:08:22 MST Print View

Max,

Chill out mate :-) sounds like it an MLD event Bivy with bug net is what you want.
Have has Ron Bell got back to you yet?

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

MLD Also Up There on 03/06/2013 19:10:08 MST Print View

Ron Bell has not, so I can't count on the MLD eVent bivy. I have looked at it before and I agree, it's a solid choice, but if it's unavailable I will have to look elsewhere.

For the price (almost 400 if memory serves) I'm sure it's a cut above most others. Or at least, it better be! Haha.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Other eVent options on 03/06/2013 19:16:05 MST Print View

I've no first hand knowledge of any of these, but it looks like Exped, Rab and Locus Gear all offer eVent bivies. Most, if not all offer a style with bug netting over your face. You could probably contact the companies directly or one of their vendors (in the case of Exped and Rab) and have them special order one for you.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Vendors on 03/06/2013 19:20:19 MST Print View

Nico,

If I don't get in touch with MLD, or if the Uber bivy ends up being slightly different than what I'm looking for, I'll start down that path. My last resort is to go to vendors and ask for custom orders, if there's an already produced bivy that looks right for me.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: MLD Also Up There on 03/06/2013 19:20:42 MST Print View

Normally Ron is fairly handy at replying, maybe try him on Facebook if you are a member.

I know Rab and Integral Deigns used make event bivys with with bug mesh.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Exped? on 03/06/2013 19:23:26 MST Print View

Exped's site appears to be malfunctioning. The bivy page has rocks on it, but no products...

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf/b43HomePageE?openframeset

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Special order on 03/06/2013 19:25:06 MST Print View

Max, I just meant if the shop normally carries Rab or Exped but not the particular bivy model you decide you want, they can likely order one for you. Not suggesting you commission Rab to make you a custom bivy.

Re: Exped's site, try here:
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf/0/77CDB11B04309DC6C1256F2B002E724D?opendocument

Note, this is from their international rather than USA site, hence the possible need for a "special" order or buy it from a UK or similar site and have it shipped.

Edited by NickB on 03/06/2013 19:29:38 MST.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Exped? on 03/06/2013 19:30:37 MST Print View

Not the kind of bivy you are looking for.

more of a windsack.

exped