Forum Index » Gear Swap » 1970's LONG TrailWise GOOSE DOWN Vintage Slimline Mummy Sleeping Bag 88" 3 Lbs.

Display Avatars Sort By:
Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
Sold 1970's LONG TrailWise GOOSE DOWN Vintage Slimline Mummy Sleeping Bag 88" 3 Lbs. on 03/03/2013 15:49:49 MST Print View

Sold This is a great winter bag.
I picked this up on ebay but it's too warm for me but it's an incredible bag with
great loft, that is made so well it's nearly indestructible. The shell material is soft to the touch yet is incredibly strong.
no storage bag or and no stuff sack included just the bag

$250 obo free shipping conus

Did I say this is great bag, 34 oz of down with a total weight of 49 oz on my scale. The cut is about the same as a Sawatch quilt, not a lot of wiggle room. Clean, no smell or stain or tears. It does have some dirt on the drawstring.

The original owner wrote:

This is a Trail Wise "Slimline" White Goose Down Sleeping Bag that dates from the mid 1970's. I believe it is USA made.

This bag is LONG and NARROW, and is only appropriate for someone who is tall and lanky.
It measures about 88" long from the foot seam to the top of the hood.
Across (measured at 24" down from the top opened up), it measures about 58" zipper to zipper.

This is a high quality bag and it is in excellent condition in every respect - no rips, tears or repairs.

Its total weight is 3 lbs.

This bag has great loft. It has always been stored loose except on trips.

x

alongside a Marmot Helium for perspective on the Loft and girth.

xx

xx

Trailwise was a devision of Ski Hut, a long gone Berkeley California company. I believe their early products were locally made.

Slimline bags were made to be efficient and close fitting so there would be less weight to carry and less air to warm when you sleep. The bottom of the zipper unzips for a foot vent for when the nights are not so cold.

Trailwise bags were unique sleeping bags. They used a style of slant-box baffles in a chevron pattern. Their advertisements touted that the chevron pattern help the down to cling to the long angled baffles and not shift.

Trailwise Slimline bags in reviews of the time were noted as being beautifully made and close-fitting with Tenaya nylon shell (not Rip-stop). Tenaya cloth was advertised as being lighter with tighter weave for less down loss, being virtually down-proof.

You can find a bit of history about this bag in old Backpacker and Field and Stream Magazines. (The last picture is of an ad from one of these magazines - it is not part of the listing - just vintage information about the sleeping bag company.)

These articles/ads can be found online at:
https://www.google.com/search?q=trailwise+chevron&btnG=Search+Books&tbm=bks&tbo=1

Edited by anthonyweston on 03/14/2013 14:17:20 MDT.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

trailwise on 03/06/2013 19:02:32 MST Print View

big beautiful winter bag for sale at a great price.xxx

weighs 49 oz, and very warm narrow cut.

Edited by anthonyweston on 03/06/2013 19:05:01 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.wordpress.com
Need 1 more thing! on 03/06/2013 22:38:52 MST Print View

That is one cool bag. The only thing stopping me is the breakdown of the shell material over time. If you can convince me I'm not going to have tearing seams and disintegrating fabric in a year, you have a buyer.

Where was it stored?
What's the shell material's makeup and does that fiber have a shelf life?

Edit: it looks like UV light will impact the nylon. Where was this stored since it was made? Can you feel any weakness?

Edited by mdilthey on 03/06/2013 22:43:05 MST.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

o on 03/06/2013 22:47:15 MST Print View

No this bag has very unique shell material, extremely strong, light.
It's made from Tenaya cloth, tough to tear, soft to touch with 10 to 12 stiches per inch.

Hopefully you can read this:xx

Edited by anthonyweston on 03/06/2013 22:53:32 MST.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

o on 03/07/2013 06:45:47 MST Print View

bump

Edited by anthonyweston on 03/14/2013 08:20:58 MDT.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Quality on 03/07/2013 08:15:05 MST Print View

This brings back ancient memories. I still have a Trailwise down jacket I purchased new in the late 70s. Quality of construction is excellent. It is a bit heavy but pleanty warm.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

t on 03/14/2013 08:30:32 MDT Print View

bump

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

sold on 03/14/2013 14:16:49 MDT Print View

sold