The original Thru Hiker Stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
The original Thru Hiker Stove on 04/20/2007 17:57:03 MDT Print View

I've been thinking about building a stove from a keg can for a while now and finally got around to it.
The original Thru Hiker Stove

Here's it's starting to blossom:starting to prime

Here's the flame patternhelp, my heiny's on fire

This is my new favorite!

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Nice Keg-Can Stove on 04/20/2007 21:31:40 MDT Print View

Now, you need to make a Keg stove... talk about BTU output in that case :D

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Re: Nice Keg-Can Stove on 04/20/2007 22:16:32 MDT Print View

I made one from a 24 ouncer-it boiled 32 ounces of water in 5 minutes! The only problem was it took 5 minutes to prime. I made a priming pan for it and got it blossom in 30 seconds. Second problem is it burns so hot it buckled my windscreen. I'd say that with a 7+ ounce fuel capacity it would make a pretty good bang if it overheated! I'm gonna keep working on it and see if we can't tame that sucker (without burning down the house).:D

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Re: Nice Keg-Can Stove on 04/21/2007 07:45:05 MDT Print View

I think you misunderstood me, I meant making a stove from a REAL keg. ;) Like, so you could BBQ with it. (Apparently I tried to be funny and fell on my face... as usual)

Edited by jdmitch on 04/21/2007 07:46:15 MDT.

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Re: Re: Re: Nice Keg-Can Stove on 04/21/2007 11:56:56 MDT Print View

Or I'm a little slow (ok maybe a LOT slow :-)). I'll work on your idea, but I'm gonna have a heck of a time finding windscreen material for that one!I'm thinking it'll go something like: It weighs in at 10 pounds 3 ounces with a fuel capacity of 10 gallons and a burn time of 2 days. The only problem I'm trying to work out is it keeps buckling the siding on my house.:D

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice Keg-Can Stove on 04/21/2007 13:22:32 MDT Print View

"...and a burn time of 2 days"

Haha!

Does Platypus make a 30-gallon fuel bottle? Maybe something with a hose or at least a squirt top?
-Mark