Subscribe Forums Newsletter Facebook Twitter
Complete range of sleep setup, aka the quilt quiver
Display Avatars Sort By:
spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Complete range of sleep setup, aka the quilt quiver on 03/02/2013 12:51:16 MST Print View

Obviously this is going to vary depending on where you live and hike, but assuming you've got your sleep system dialed in, I'm wondering how many bags/quilts you have and what range of degrees they cover. Right now I have a 20 degree quilt and a 30 degree bag that I switch off using, and a 0 degree bag. For me, I would think insulation pieces at 0, 20, and 40 degrees would be sufficient (but obviously I'm still working it out). Anything below 0 and the 40 degree could be layered on top, anything above 60 or so I could open up the 40 degree piece or else just sleep in my clothes. Thoughts?

Aaron Davis
(ardavis324) - F
Re: Complete range of sleep setup, aka the quilt quiver on 03/02/2013 12:58:51 MST Print View

One 30 degree quilt. I don't ever go out when it gets below 20's. If warmer, I'll just use it loosely like a blanket. I avoid having more than one item of the same type of gear.

Edited by ardavis324 on 03/02/2013 12:59:24 MST.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Re: Re: Complete range of sleep setup, aka the quilt quiver on 03/02/2013 13:14:24 MST Print View

I admire your minimalism, honestly. I've been slowly changing my life to be able to live with fewer possessions. But I like to ski and hike in winter and that requires a dedicated cold weather bag.

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
Quilt quiver on 03/02/2013 13:50:05 MST Print View

I have been fine with a 15f quilt and a 40f quilt. The 15f quilt is fine for me down to 0f and the 40f quilt is good to the mid twenties by augmenting either with what I normally carry.

I don't get out much in sub zero temps but would double the two up if need be. If I found myself out routinely in sub zero conditions I would add a mummy bag to the two previously mentioned quilts. I had an FF Peregrine for many years and it was too warm unless the temps dropped below zero but it was a very cozy cocoon in the extreme cold and completely draft free.

Elijah Ziemann
(MrBlondyable) - F
RE Sleep System on 03/02/2013 14:20:13 MST Print View

A 20 degree bag and a 45 degree bag.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Complete range of sleep setup, aka the quilt quiver on 03/02/2013 15:40:47 MST Print View

Up until now I always had a 3 season bag and a winter one, just recently added a quilt for summer use.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Sleep system on 03/02/2013 16:05:26 MST Print View

I have 2 bags: a WM Ultralite and a Katabatic Alsek. I bring the Alsek for all of my 3 season trips, and when my wife joins me she brings the Ultralite. In the winter, I layer the Alsek over the WM (which fits perfectly) and have the equivalent of a 0F bag.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Re: Re: Sleep system on 03/03/2013 11:15:28 MST Print View

Interesting so far that no one's had more than two. I wonder if a 20 and a 40 degree together would really get me down to 0. If I don't sleep I'm a wreck, so I'd prefer to err on the warm side. I may make a summer quilt and do some experimenting, though.

Andrew F
(andrew.f) - F - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Sleep System on 03/03/2013 11:38:06 MST Print View

Sounds like a good candidate for doing some backyard testing. I also generally have a warm down jacket with me when winter camping, which adds another 7 oz of down if I need it. You'll have warmer clothing with you too, which should extend your 20 degree bag further than usual. But I don't know how cold your winters are...

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Complete range of sleep setup, aka the quilt quiver on 03/03/2013 16:10:54 MST Print View

I have a:
BPL Pro 90 Quilt 50* 12oz
Golite Ultra 20 Quilt 30* 19oz
Javan Dempsey Quilt 20* 20oz
Mountain Hardwear Phantom 0* 43oz

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
Quilt Quiver on 03/04/2013 13:04:48 MST Print View

I've been using a two-quilt quiver happily for the last few years and it has covered most of my needs:

30*F Katabatic Palisade
15*F Katabatic Sawatch

These two quilts get me through most of my encountered conditions comfortably. With insulated clothing, I can get down a bit below 15*F with the Sawatch and at the opposite end of the spectrum, in warm conditions, I've simply draped the Palisade over me (or hang a leg out) and been okay.

I've recently decided to add a third quilt, a 50*F synthetic quilt from EE to my quiver. The main purpose for the quilt will be to add to my 15*F quilt for trips that get down to around the low single digits and/or zero *F. I may also use it from time to time on warm spring/summer trips when anticipated lows are only in the 50s or so.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Complete range of sleep setup, aka the quilt quiver on 03/04/2013 21:30:27 MST Print View

Hmmm. A Katabatic Palisade, and a Katabatic overstuffed Sawatch. An Enlightened Equipment 40 degree cuben quilt and a 20 degree cuben quilt, as well as a 50 degree cuben light-as-a-feather summer quilt and a cuben hammock underquilt. A Nunatak Raku (20 degree) bag and a Nunatak 5 degree Expedition quilt (currently for sale).