Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
thermarest prolite 4 sleeping rink
Display Avatars Sort By:
Marcin Moscicki
(turin) - F
thermarest prolite 4 sleeping rink on 04/20/2007 14:27:35 MDT Print View

I just got a prolite 4 as a supposedly much warmer replacement of my old 'ultralight' pad. When I lie down on it in my quantum sleeping bag, I just can't stay on it when rolling, it's so slippery! And it was on even floor at home, I can't think what will happen when I'll sleep on a mountain slope. Did you do anything with yours to improve traction? Smear it with something?

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Re: thermarest prolite 4 sleeping rink on 04/20/2007 16:56:32 MDT Print View

You could try putting beads of silicon seam sealer, although I don't know how well that will stay on the pad over time. Just an idea.

Siegmund Beimfohr
(SigBeimfohr) - M
Re: thermarest prolite 4 sleeping rink on 06/15/2007 12:51:01 MDT Print View

I have a short Thermarest Prolite 4 and have also experienced the problem of the pad sliding around on the silnylon floor of my SMD Lunar Solo e (same thing with my old original full-length pad).
Although treating the tent floor is an option, I prefer to treat the bottom of the pad so it will stay put. The "slipperyness" of the floor is otherwise not an issue as long as the pad will not move around. Also, treating small areas of the pad will be much simpler and weigh much less than treating the larger tent floor.
Not finding any definitive answers here or elsewhere, I emailed cascadedesigns.com and, along with additional observations, posed this question:

"Can you recommend a treatment that will prevent slipping on silnylon, not be too tacky against other items such as clothing, and adhere to the pad surface permanently?"

The answer I received (very promptly, by the way) from customer service was:

"The best solution is to pickup some Seam Grip, a urethane seam sealer, from a local outfitter and place small dots of it on the bottom of the pad itself. This will help provide some friction for the pad to the tent floor without making the pad sticky."

Note they recommend a urethane-based sealer, not silicone. Hope this will help others.

I'm also posting to this recent thread "http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/7133/index.html?skip_to_post=51089#51089" that also deals with sliding pads.

Andrew :-)
(terra) - F

Locale: Sydney, Australia.
ditto on 06/16/2007 21:13:19 MDT Print View

Ha, my thoughts exactly!
I have a T'rest Pro4 also... and the same slippy problem.
Its exam time for me (backpackinglight.com is my studybreak) but its on my list of things to sort out. I came to a similar conclusion, and as soon as its over will grab my tube of seamgrip and do as suggested.
The mat isn't silicon so normal seamgrip will do.

edit: my spelling is terrable...

Edited by terra on 06/16/2007 22:19:42 MDT.