Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Quick question - reapiring sleeping bag rip
Display Avatars Sort By:
Laurence Elliott
(ponderingloz) - F
Quick question - reapiring sleeping bag rip on 04/20/2007 09:16:07 MDT Print View

I just stupidly cut (yes cut) my sleeping bag outer shell. Whats the best way to repair a small hole-rip in ripstop nylon? Its duct tape for the moment but something more permanaent would be nice, cosmetic appearance unimportant

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Quick question - reapiring sleeping bag rip on 04/20/2007 09:43:39 MDT Print View

I got a 1-inch rip in a Mountain Hardwear Phantom bag. I just grabbed some thread & needle and stitched it up. Nothing fancy. Kind of ugly. I don't know the name of the stitch, I just went back and forth a couple times. But it holds without leaks to this day.

I've used standard office scotch tape on Pertex Microlite fabric windshirt before. I used one small square on the inside and one on the outside of the 1/2-cm hole, and amazingly it stayed even a couple times through the washer.
-Mark

john flanagan
(jackfl) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Quick question - reapiring sleeping bag rip on 04/20/2007 10:13:31 MDT Print View

Depends on the size of the hole. If its truly small (say 1/2" or less) personally I'd use McNett Seam grip without any sewing. The stuff is rather remarkable. Longer than that...needle and thread.

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Quick question - reapiring sleeping bag rip on 04/20/2007 10:45:50 MDT Print View

Emma, don't feel bad. I did the same thing removing the tags on my bag. The hole in mine is small enough that I haven't repaired it yet. The McNett Seam Grip is a great idea that I will have to try as well.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Quick question - reapiring sleeping bag rip on 04/20/2007 22:27:18 MDT Print View

> Whats the best way to repair a small hole-rip in ripstop nylon?

Another way is possible if you can get hold of industrail double-sided tape or, better still, transfer tape. A small patch of similar ripstop nylon can be stuck over the cut and polished onto it. Should last several years at least.

Yes, I have used this on other gear.