Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
"The Finest Down Parka Ever" (Patagonia)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Gooses Feet on 03/04/2013 19:22:01 MST Print View

Brian,

Gooses Feet will be using Downtek dwr down soon.

ROBERT TANGEN
(RobertM2S) - M

Locale: Lake Tahoe
Patagonia explains Patagonia on 03/04/2013 21:12:38 MST Print View

Part of P-Gucci’s explanation: http://www.thecleanestline.com/2013/03/the-patagonia-encapsil-down-belay-parka-an-origin-story.html
“Perhaps the biggest design accomplishment of the jacket is its 100% independently baffled construction. That is to say, at no place on the entire parka does a single stitch extend from the exterior shell all the way through to the inside lining. This guarantees that none of those specially treated feathers are going to shift to some place that they shouldn’t and thus compromise the jacket’s uniformity of insulation. The functional improvements continue from there: double draft tubes bookend the main zipper, large front pockets (cut big enough to fit gloved hands) are positioned above the harness line, carefully split baffles around the pockets and zippers maintain uniformity of fill without adding extra bulk, meticulously laid out baffles of varying widths running through traditional compression areas (i.e. under your arms and around your shoulders) ensure equal warmth everywhere, a micro snow skirt with hideaway drawcord seals the waistline, inside stash pockets positioned on the side panels as opposed to industry standard of up front placement, and a hood that fits snug with or without a helmet. The design crew also considered what not to include. There is no fuzzy fleece lining in the pockets or at the top of the front zipper. “That stuff may feel nice at first but it is just a sponge for moisture and ends up hurting you in the long run in real alpine conditions,” says Shaw, who has more than three decades of serious climbing experience to his credit. Then there is the omission of a split end front zipper, something which would traditionally be found on a belay parka so as to allow access to your harness while keeping most of your jacket zipped up. The double-ender was left out because they are more likely to break and because the slim profile of the Encapsil Parka allows it to more easily be tucked inside of a harness and rope set-up. “I'm sure we are going hear about that,” says Shaw. “Some people feel really strongly about those zippers.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
"The Finest Down Parka I'll Never Own" on 03/04/2013 21:55:10 MST Print View

It looks like an absolutely beautifully crafted winter jacket that I would absolutely love to own...

...but likely never will.

My wife is a wonderfully generous and kind woman but I would completely deserve the a$$ kicking I'd get if I went out and bought this right now. And honestly, I think I'd get an ulcer trying wear a jacket this expensive anyway.

To those of you that can afford/justify this sort of thing without getting panic attacks, I have one word:

Enjoy!

Martin RJ Carpenter
(MartinCarpenter) - F
Independently baffled construction? on 03/05/2013 07:32:12 MST Print View

How does that differ from a normal box wall construction? Essentially no penetrating seams involved there. Marketing I guess :) A good thing to have of course.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Independently baffled construction? on 03/05/2013 07:59:58 MST Print View

I should buy one and rent it it out for $70 a month.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Independently baffled construction? on 03/05/2013 12:55:00 MST Print View

"How does that differ from a normal box wall construction? Essentially no penetrating seams involved there. Marketing I guess :) A good thing to have of course."

Well spotted. I have the PHD designs Yukon jacket, and it is very well constructed, including fully baffled. The DWR on it is the best I have come across too. It is also lighter and cheaper. Sure, it's only 900fp, and the down is not treated in any way, but because the DWR is so good, I have never had a problem with it wetting out. You can also remove the hood, which is how I use it most of the time, and that makes it even lighter. No problem washing it at home if and when I feel the need!

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=110&products_id=159

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"The Finest Down Parka Ever" (Patagonia)" on 03/05/2013 18:37:25 MST Print View

I commend Patagonia for making an effort and investing the dollars to produce technical gear. They could just as easily spend their time only on gear to wear to Peet's Coffee.

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: "The Finest Down Parka Ever" (Patagonia)" on 03/06/2013 01:09:14 MST Print View

I got to see it today at the Patagonia Shibuya store here. Last one left in Japan, size S #0856. Apparently only 4 stores in the world got samples. The online pics really don't do it justice. Workmanship is impeccable with lots of small detail. Fit my wife perfectly too but at JPY84000 she would rather have handbag!

Encapsil Belay Parka

Edited by rmjapan on 03/06/2013 03:33:19 MST.

Martin RJ Carpenter
(MartinCarpenter) - F
Yukon on 03/06/2013 05:12:49 MST Print View

The yukon is actually quite a close comparison point to this in some ways - the treated outer fabrics (actually more than DWRs in both cases), basically equal down fill (900 EU is essentially the same as this), box wall and ball park weight etc.

Different emphasis design wise of course - especially hood wise.

The question which actually interests me is what happens if you put down like this behind a waterproof shell as per Crux's plasma. Would it then be functional as an fairly well all conditions belay jacket? That could change things a little.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
It's too warm on 03/06/2013 08:11:33 MST Print View

That's the main problem with this parka - too warm

If you're in the arctic or climbing Denali or some Himalayan peak, fine, but anything that almost any of us would do, it's over-kill

You don't want a too warm parka, because you'll sweat.

In 900 FP, it might weigh 1 ounce more. If you're paying several hundred dollars to save 1 ounce, then you have too much money.

KEN LARSON
(KENLARSON) - MLife

Locale: Western Michigan
Start Saving your Dollars on 03/06/2013 09:59:36 MST Print View

Hi Ken,
Thanks for your interest in our Encapsil. It was met with such popularity and excitement that it's currently sold out completely. We do not have plans to offer a second or third edition at this time, but I'm sure that we will at some point in the near future. Please check back. Also, we will be offering our Hi Loft Down, Down Sweater and Ultralight Down Jackets with a very high quality 800 -fill power European Goose Down.

I hope that helps and let us know if you need anything else. Have a nice day!

Thank you, Megan
Patagonia Customer Service

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: It's too warm on 03/06/2013 10:32:58 MST Print View

"That's the main problem with this parka - too warm

If you're in the arctic or climbing Denali or some Himalayan peak, fine, but anything that almost any of us would do, it's over-kill"

If you're out on a cold, windy, -20F New Hampshire night, you won't complain about it being too warm. South Carolina, yes, but not necessarily in New England.

Trill Daddy
(persianpunisher) - F
Exceeding my expectations on 03/06/2013 19:39:28 MST Print View

The more I use this jacket, the more I am impressed by it. A few more observations:

- The "neck" is CHOCKED full of down, similar to the EB Peak XV jacket's "turtle neck"

- Articulated arms DO NOT ride up, at all

- The hood is HUGE

- Pertex and DWR sheds water like no other- water actually beaded up when it was raining… but this was only for a few minutes- it was SO damn warm that I had to come back inside.

- This thing is SUPER puffy

Rick M
(rmjapan) - F

Locale: London, UK
Re: Exceeding my expectations on 03/06/2013 20:35:03 MST Print View

I admit I was not initially impressed with the retro styling or color but now after having seen it and touched it I have a different opinion.

I like how the inside stash pockets sit further back on the hips to supposedly still let you see your feet when they are chock full. The stuff sack storage in the right stash pocket is unique too I thought. Suprisingly long hem as well.

Amazing they got all this into a jacket that still just weighs about the same as my Rab Infinity Endurance size XL (525g) that uses the same fabrics.

Now if I were to speculate on the Encapsil coveted numbers I would guess;

0888- lucky for our Confucian friends
0777- lucky for our Western friends
0711- for the dice lovers
0666- for the Satanic cultist
0405- my B-day
0331- wife's B-day
0007- for all us Bonds, James Bond
0001- for the early adopter
1000- nah, na, nanna, nah

Andrew Manies
(amanies)

Locale: SF Bay Area
Underwhelmingly underfilled on 03/06/2013 21:03:00 MST Print View

I hate to be the naysayer about this jacket, but the one I received and tried on (after a day of letting it loft) has some noticeably under-filled chambers of down when inspected in bright sunlight. The two chambers are located on the right hip and right chest, and appear to be filled less than half as full as most of the other chambers. The arms of this jacket, however, are absolutely stuffed with down, and the articulation seems to be brilliantly designed. All of the other design features of the jacket appear to be outstanding, and the materials and weight are remarkable.

Still, for the price, one would expect each chamber to be properly filled with down. I seriously doubt that is has anywhere near 10 oz of down, as per Richard's calculations. Richard, may I ask where you obtained that figure?

My overall impression is of a beautifully designed and detailed jacket that would have been perfect, were it not for some quality control issues (likely during assembly) in China.

Trill Daddy
(persianpunisher) - F
Wow… Ditto on 03/06/2013 23:25:27 MST Print View

Well, it appears that mine too also seems to have the same under filled baffles: the bottom front right baffle, above your right pant pocket and the right chest (right where the pockets are).

Interesting….I haven't really noticed any performance issues though- and I have worn it to -5F with just a Merino T as a base layer .

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Wow… Ditto on 03/06/2013 23:40:28 MST Print View

Geez the fill on my $30 JCP is nice and even. Jab, jab, backslap :p

Matthew Hoskin
(mattgugel)

Locale: Kanangra-Boyd NP
Re: Exceeding my expectations on 03/07/2013 00:00:01 MST Print View

Babak, somwhow I feel you side with Patagonia???????.
No trolling intended, but who spends that amount on a down jacket????????????
ludicrous to pay more that$400 for a baffled parka.
I paid $800 to have Polar Bear pants sewn, so compare.
Marketing hype. Nice parka - wayyyyyy too expensive

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
EAT THE RICH! on 03/07/2013 00:31:15 MST Print View

"what happens if you wash this nano-down normally? ... will all future patagucci nano-down products require you to send it back to "preserve" the DWR?"

Now Eric.....

It is kinda tough if you're in Nepal, Alaska, PATAGONIA, Antartica, Greenland, or other outposts where it might be COLD. And what do you wear while your puffy is at the cleaners?

But you're just being anti-elitest ;)

I find it very interesting to hear the bragging on the stitching and stable down compartmentlization and then easing reports from two owners that there is uneven fill. OOPS! Ring.... Ring.... QC?

I'm also perplexed by the zippers and lack of tailored features that would normally be found in a garment of this class. For $700 it better pour me a dry Maritini and wipe my nose!

Fine for the lodge at Aspen, but not for living out of a backpack and sleeping on dirt. EAT THE RICH :)

Trill Daddy
(persianpunisher) - F
Re: Re: Exceeding my expectations on 03/07/2013 01:04:01 MST Print View

Oh, so perhaps now is the appropriate time to shed light on how I acquired this jacket….

In January, I googled "Encapsil down jacket" and a listing on for "Patagonia Encapsil Down Belay Jacket" Altrec popped up as the top result.

I quickly went to Patagonia.com to chat with LiveHelp and tried to learn more about the jacket. All I they could tell me was that it was coming out in March. I asked if anyone else there knew anything about it and later chatted with someone who was their for the unveiling of the jacket. he told me it was made with 1000fp down, $699 in paintbrush red and only in limited quantity. He then sent me an image of the jacket and asked if I wanted to purchase one. I was shocked, I didnt think he was serious, so I looked around for a gift card I had lost in my room a few months ago (I still beat myself up over it). Alas, no gift card. I chatted back in and purchased the jacket on my CC (with the intention of reviewing the jacket [with the tags] and then returning it).

My card was charged, I received a tracking # and I received my jacket the next week (still mid January). I then posted about this jacket on BPL which was then later taken down.

I paid for the jacket, and reviewed it, and them my post was taken down. I was then contacted by RJ who got me in touch with some (rather senior) folks at Patagonia, who asked me to refrain from posting about the jacket and later offered to refund me for the jacket in exchange for not wearing it in public or publishing any reviews until after the jacket was released. I took my YouTube videos off line until 3/1.

Is this jacket worth $700?- I don't think so, but then again, people pay FAR MORE for FAR LESS INNOVATIVE garments (I have family who work in haute couture, and I find that stuff absurdly overpriced and obscene- with no innovative textiles or designs).

I also don't pay retail for really any of my gear (although, I did pay FULL RETAIL for a Patagonia Hooded Down Sweater and found it worth every penny, until it was stolen…)

I am a huge proponent of support in US manufactured goods, and it bums me out to see this jacket made in China. I think at this price point, consumers would be MUCH happier to pay an extra $100 for a US manufactured garment.