Forum Index » Gear Lists » Please help my list out

Display Avatars Sort By:
Matt Cason
(xxfwmxx) - F
new changes on 06/21/2005 12:17:30 MDT Print View

I have decieded to go with the Helois as a rain jacket/wind jacket from what I have read it will suit fine for my needs as a rain jacket also. I also decided to not get the Bibler Tripod Bivy and instead go for the Tarptent Cloudburst 2, same weight more room and less condensation problems here in the southeast.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Work in progress on 06/21/2005 14:18:12 MDT Print View

I like the Helios, it has worked well for me. I also have the Reed pants to go along with the jacket.
I'm surprised you chose the Cloudburst over the SMD Lunar, unless you intend to have a partner along. I believe the poles are potential failure points, that is why I use a flat tarp. Granted trekking poles can be just as much a failure point, but with a flat tarp you have so many more options.
Going from a 50 lb. +- pack to a 25 lb. +- pack is a great start. As you think more about it at the end of your adventures you will continue to find ways to improve your style and decrease your pack weight. Cutting out a half pound here and a few ounces there can be a little costly, but it doesn't have to be if you shop smart. Only you can make the determination if the change is worth it. I started with that same 50 lb +- pack last year and I have now got my 3-day pack down to 18 lbs. with 2L of water and food included. I have found treks are much more comfortable and it is much easier to keep up with the 15-18 year old scouts. It is also easier to assist the younger scouts.
Good luck with your work in progress and enjoy as you enlighten yourself more.

Edited by mikes on 06/21/2005 14:19:36 MDT.

Matt Cason
(xxfwmxx) - F
The Newest List on 06/22/2005 09:59:23 MDT Print View

Clothing Worn
OR Nimbus Sombrero 3.4oz
Golite S/S top 4oz
Golite liet-weight briefs 2oz
golite baseline shorts 8oz
smartwool adreniline crew socks (2 pair) 4oz
Vasque Velocity Trail Runners 28oz

other items worn or carried
Leki Trekking Poles 14.8oz
Fox Mini 40 whistle 1oz
High Gear Summit watch 2oz
High Gear Trail Audio 512MB 4oz

other Clothing
Golite Helios for Wind/Rain 3.5oz
Golite Reed rain pants 4oz

sleep system
Tarptent Cloudburst 2 38oz
Gossamer Gear polycro ground cloth 1.3oz
Bozeman Mountain Works Hi-Vis Ti Stakes 1.42oz
Golite Feather bag 18oz
Thermarest Z-lite 8 segment 8.7oz

packing
Gregory Z Pack Large 56oz
250ci Bozeman Mountain Works Small stuff Sack .37oz
500ci Bozeman Mountain Works Medium Stuff sack .61oz
Equinox Ultralight Pack Cover 1.1oz

Cooking and water treatment
Vargo Jet-ti Stove 2.7oz
Snow Peak Trek 700 Ti Mug 3.3oz
aluminum foil windscreen .5oz
Vargo Ti Spork .49 oz
Bic Lighter 1oz
2 Platypus 1L bladders 1.6oz
Pur Hiuker water filter 11oz
Ursalight Bear Bag system 2.7oz
MSR Lite-lifters pot grabber 1oz

other essentials
Natl Geo Maps 1oz
Princeton Tec Scout headlamp 1.85oz
Scout replacement batteries .22oz
Adventure medical kits .3 2.21oz
Sparklight firestarter 1oz
Dermatone 23 paste sunscreen 1.26oz
insect repellant in dropper bottle 1oz
assorted toiletries (toothbrush, paste, hand gel, tp) in waterproof bag 4oz

Weight w/o Cumsumables = 241.03oz (15.06lbs)

Consumables
MSR IsoPro Fuel x2 8oz
Dry food 20oz/day 100oz
2L of water 70 oz

Total Skin out weight - 419.03 (26.18lbs)

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Matt's gear list on 06/22/2005 10:12:03 MDT Print View

Which gives you a base weight (everything less what is worn and consumables) of less than 11 lbs. Not bad for one's entry into backpacking light.
But ya gotta lose the MP3 player.

Jordan Calicott
(ShortmanCal) - F

Locale: Arkansas!
Matt's Gear List on 06/28/2005 17:55:13 MDT Print View

Matt, I also live in the southeast. I looked over your gear list and I have a few suggestions:

1. The trekking poles that you are carrying (Leki Poles= 14.8 oz) are pretty heavy. If you want to lose a lot of weight, I would suggest buying the Gossamer Gear Lightrek poles. They only weigh like 5 oz PER PAIR!
2. Since the Helios is really a wind jacket, why not get some wind pants instead of the waterproof pants. Wind pants would be 2 oz lighter. Check out Montbell's wind pants. Another option is to just drop the rain pants all together. I personally don't care if my legs get wet but that is just me.
3. If it is just you going backpacking, I mean if you are tenting by yourself, why do you need a 2 person tent? Choose a tent that is 1 person and that will drop the weight considerably.
4. Do you really need an 8 segment sleeping pad? You can make it torso-sized by cutting a couple segments off of it. That could save you a couple of ounces. Better yet, buy a Gossamer Gear Thinlight Pad and save several more ounces.
5. If you want, buy the Gregory G pack. It is smaller and lighter. If you want an even lighter option, Check out the Gossamer Gear packs.
6. If it's not going to rain, don't take a pack cover. Gossamer Gear sells a waterproof, lightweight pack liner.
7. If you want a lighter stove, try buying an alcohol stove. They are much lighter, depending on which one you buy, and you don't have to haul around those heavy canisters. If you want to go even lighter, buy some Esbit Tablets. They only weigh .5 oz each and each one burns long enough to boil a liter of water.
8. If you want a lighter utensil, consider picking up a plastic Taco Bell Spork (.1 oz) or a strong, plastic Boston Market spoon (.1 oz).
9. Instead of the Bic lighter, try buying the Bic mini (.5 oz) or buying some waterproof matches with a relighting birthday candle (.3 oz)
10. Your Pur Hiker filter is quite heavy (11 oz). Try buying either Aqua Mira (.5 - 1 oz) or Katadyn MP1 Tablets (hardly anything!)
11. If your mug has a handle, why do you need a pot lifter? Drop the pot lifter all together.
12. I live in Arkansas and I have never had a problem with bears. If you have also never had problems with bears, I would suggest dropping your bear bag system.
13. If you want a lighter option for lighting, drop the Princeton Tec Scout and buy a Micro Photon mini light (.2 oz)

All of these adjustments will save you a considerable amount of weight.

P.S.- Which part of the Southeast do you live in?

Matt Cason
(xxfwmxx) - F
updates on 07/01/2005 07:06:01 MDT Print View

Jordan thanks for your input with it I have made some adjustments to my list which I will post shortly I just wanted to reply to some of your comments real quick also. I choose the 2 person cloudburst so that when I am on a solo trip I can store my stuff inside with me and the weight really doesnt difference really wont bother me that much, I also go with a buddy so then there would be room for both of us. The reason I have the stove and spork on my list is because I alerady own them and spent a good bit for them and do not want to replace at this moment, to me the isobutane fuel tanks arent that heavy at all. I have the bear bag system because I go hiking in the Smokies quite a bit and have seen a lot of bears up there. most of the shelters along the AT through there have bear boxes or ropes but I dont always stay at these shelters. If I am not going to this area or a area known for bears I will leave the system out of the pack. I live in South Carolina to answer your last question you had for me. Thanks again!

Matt Cason
(xxfwmxx) - F
updated list on 07/01/2005 09:05:33 MDT Print View

Clothing Worn
OR Nimbus Sombrero 3.4oz
Golite lite-weight S/S top 4oz
Golite lite-weight brief 2oz
Golite Baseline Shorts 9oz
Smartwool Adrenilie Cew Socks (2pair) 4oz
Montrail Hardrock Wide 13oz

Other items worn or carried
Gossamer Gear Lightre Plus 5.2oz
High Gear Altitech II 2oz
High Gear Trailaudio 512MB 4oz

other clothing
Golite Helios wind shirt 3.5oz
Golite Reed pants 4oz

sleep system
Tarptent Cloudburst 2 39oz
Gossamer Gear Polycro Ground Cloth 1.3oz
Gossamer Gear Titelite Stakes 1.32oz
Golite Feather Bag 18oz
Thermarest Z-Lite 6 segment 6.5oz

Packing
Osprey Atmos 50 Large 47oz
250ci Bozeman Mtn Works stuff sack .37oz
500ci Bozeman Mtn Works stuff sack .61oz
Equinox Ultrlight Pack Cover 1.1oz

Cooking and Water
Vargo Jet-Ti Stove 2.7oz
Snow Peak trek 700 Ti 4.7oz
aluminum foil wind screen .5oz
Vargo Ti Spork .49oz
Bic Mini Lighter .5oz
Platypus 2L 1.3oz
Katadyn MP1 Tablets .25oz
Ursalight Bear Bag System 2.7oz
MSR lite-lifters 1oz

other essentials
Natl Geo Maps 1oz
Princeton Tec Scout 1.8oz
Replacement batts for Scout .22oz
Adventure Medical Kits .3 2.21oz
assorted toilitries (toothpaste, hand gel, tp) 4oz
insect repellant 1oz
Sun Frog Sunscreen 1oz
Gossamer Gear Fingertip toothbrush .24oz
MSR Ultralite PackTowls 1oz
Adventure Medical Kits Survival Kit(streamlined to just whistle, blanket, duct tape, and sparklite) 2.5oz

Consumables
MSR IsoPro Fuel (2 4oz containers) 8oz
Dehydrated food 20oz/day 100oz for 5 day trip
2L of water 70oz

Total skin out weight is: 376.41oz (23.52lbs)

Total Pack Weight (minus consumables) is: 163.01oz (10.18lbs)

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Nice improvements on 07/04/2005 18:36:30 MDT Print View

Matt,

It’s been a busy two weeks for you. You have a real good list here. I hope you have not actually purchased all of the changes each time, but more making a wish list before buying. I know it can get expensive.

Jordan makes a valid suggestion to change out your Leki Poles to the GG Lightrek if you are strictly looking at weight. The GG Lightrek are single piece poles while the Leki poles are sectional for compact stowage. If having the ability to stow compactly, which I prefer, sectional poles are better. I have the REI Peak UL at 10.6 oz. w/o straps. The extra weight is in the locking hardware for the sections.

I believe you posted that you already purchased the ‘Tarptent Cloudburst 2’, but I would have to agree with others there is other options out there. I’m sure you know why you chose the Cloudburst over other suggestions. An Oware 9x9 tarp with an added guy loop in the center along the ridge easily sleeps 2 with gear and maybe 3 if one is a kid, and will drop another 1.5 pounds. Change to a Poncho/Tarp for a solo and drop it 2 pounds.

I have the Snowpeak trek 700 also, and by replacing the steel lid with some foil, you drop another 1.5 oz.

I also like your Ursalight Bear bag. Even if you’re not in bear country, you still have other critters to think about.

I have the Gregory Z Pack too and it’s a good pack. I also have a GoLite Breeze and a GoLite Speed, which I find the Speed to be comparable to the Z pack for 18 oz. lighter. If I’m going to be bushwhacking, I use the Z pack, if not I use the Speed. I just don’t find the Breeze comfortable; I guess I like having a waist belt