Forum Index » GEAR » New 2013 Tarptent Models

Display Avatars Sort By:
Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: impressions? on 03/29/2013 00:02:38 MDT Print View

"Anybody (Alex Wallace?) have a chance to take the Moment DW out yet?"

Charles,

Luckily, I was able to sneak in a 48 hour trip to the foothills in northern California using the new Moment DW. I'll post a more thorough review with pictures soon, but in the meantime know that the DW (aka version 2) is better, more refined, in every way compared to version 1. This is MY perfect shelter. Temps dipped below freezing and I had light snow flurries in the early AM and this shelter sat rock solid with no condensation to deal with. Oh yeah, it's also still nice to only worry about two, four tops, anchor points.

Charles P
(mediauras)

Locale: Terra
Re: Re: impressions? on 04/02/2013 12:39:00 MDT Print View

Awesome, thank you for that. Mine's on order, hopefully I'll get it this week or next. I can't wait to take it out.

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: New 2013 Tarptent Models on 04/02/2013 19:07:07 MDT Print View

Moment -- looks like the condensation will be less, but getting close to my double rainbow in weight.

Franco -- how do you get these tents so fast?

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Re: New 2013 Tarptent Models on 04/02/2013 19:18:59 MDT Print View

Franco sells them for Tarptent.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W (Near enough)
Re: New 2013 Tarptent Models on 04/02/2013 20:19:38 MDT Print View

It might be splitting hairs, but I think Franco has said that while he represents TarpTent in Australia, all orders are placed with and fulfilled by Henry and the US organization.

Speaking of which, either Franco or Henry, do you have an update on the CloudBurst 3 launch date? The website's still reading "Shipping late March 2013". Quite a few folks here are watching with bated breath.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
New 2013 Tarptent Models on 04/02/2013 21:18:00 MDT Print View

How do I get them so fast ?
Henry was playing with the CB 3 about two years ago and I still have not seen one.
Do you call that fast ?

BTW, yes Stuart is correct. I don't sell them I seal them.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: New 2013 Tarptent Models on 04/07/2013 14:20:59 MDT Print View

It's past late March. Any update on the CB3?

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W (Near enough)
Cloudburst 3 on 04/08/2013 10:36:53 MDT Print View

Henry updated the website this morning. Looks like the basic configuration of the CB3 will run $319, shipping 'mid April', although no way to place an order yet.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Cloudburst 3 on 04/08/2013 10:40:06 MDT Print View

$319 appears to be a good price.

Henry, Franco, or anyone... I have an old extra Double Rainbow pole. Can I use this for the center pole on the CB3? If so, would I have to add or subtract a pole section?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Cloudburst 3 on 04/08/2013 10:44:31 MDT Print View

Don't know about the double rainbow pole, but the CB3 sells with two poles, adding the third pole is extra ($13 if I remember correctly).

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Re: Cloudburst 3 on 04/08/2013 13:24:09 MDT Print View

> I have an old extra Double Rainbow pole. Can I use this for the center pole on the CB3? If so, would I have to add or subtract a pole section?

The Rainbow poles are 144" and the Cloudburst poles are 120". It is certainly possible to remove sections but you will also want to a) trim an existing section--regular tube cutters are a few dollars from the hardware store-- and b) shorten/trim the shock cord before reinserting the tip.

-H

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Cloudburst 3 on 04/08/2013 13:30:43 MDT Print View

Awesome. Thanks Henry.

Danny Milks
(dannymilks) - MLife

Locale: Sierras
Caffin-syle poles on Cloudburst 3 on 04/15/2013 14:50:05 MDT Print View

I think the Cloudburst 3 looks fantastic. Not much heavier than the double rainbow, but much more space and stability!

I wonder if poles (like Roger Caffin uses) would fit into the sleeves of the Cloudburst 3? Straight poles with 3 corners, so the pole bending radius is not so severe, and so that there is a defined 'point' at the tent's apex (rather than a flat spot as is inherent in every hooped tent design).

Roger Caffin Tent
Roger Caffin's legendary tent design. Photo credit, Roger Caffin, from bushwalking.org.au .

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
TarpTent Moment DW on 05/28/2013 12:33:51 MDT Print View

I'm happy to report that the TarpTent Moment DW is treating me very well. I've been able to use it on four trips now and I'm really impressed. Last weekend I used it on the west slope of the Sierra (Desolation Wilderness)and really appreciated the easy setup and wind shedding capabilities.

TarpTent Moment DW at Lyons Lake

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Caffin-syle poles on Cloudburst 3 on 05/28/2013 14:18:28 MDT Print View

Danny,
I highly doubt that poles with any bend will work in the CB3. The design appears to rely on a consistent curve. But who knows!?

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Rainbow comment on 05/30/2013 03:48:05 MDT Print View

I closed up the ends and sides of a Double Rainbow.

I sewed light nylon over the mesh up about 18" or so on the sides. I wanted a warmer tent. On a quite windy night I could feel no drafts on me. So, it works...

I wasn't really able to close up the corners very well. There are little gaps. I added the nylon to reduce drafts. I couldn't feel any, but I wonder if the little gaps created a slight chimney effect.

Since doing this to your tent, I have had the tent out one night at 22* in the tent, quite humid weather, and no condensation. This night was not terribly windy. The windy night was rainy.

Has anyone thought about a small, small vent low to work with vents high..?

I didn't have the heart to cut the mesh out from behind the panels I sewed in place. The mesh still bears the weight; I made sure my nylon is looser. If anyone else cares to try, I sewed all my panels onto the outside. Doing it again, the side panels on the outside are okay but I would definitely sew the end panels on the inside. Just easier to make the corner.

I also think the 18" pole sections will be easier for packing..

" Yes, though it may have to wait until later summer. Our production team is pretty slammed. I'm thinking it will be more Scarp/StratoSpire style--all solid with mesh vents at top of doors--than the open mesh roof style on the Notch interior but I'm opening to lobbying and good beer ;-) "

Edited by Tan68 on 05/30/2013 04:09:43 MDT.

Christopher Yi
(TRAUMAhead)

Locale: Cen Cal
. on 07/27/2013 22:43:08 MDT Print View

Any ETA on the partial solid inner for the Moment DW?

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Moment DW ripstop inner on 07/27/2013 23:57:44 MDT Print View

I talked to Henry early this month and he said August. They were working on the final details for production when we talked.

Can't wait! Finally a 4 season Moment. (Of course I'll have to mod it to make it "winterized" to my preferences. :o)

Brock Graves
(gravesbrock) - F

Locale: asheville nc
Moment dw on 09/25/2013 20:27:16 MDT Print View

Just put my order in with the solid inner today. Will add pictures as soon as it comes in!