Forum Index » GEAR » New 2013 Tarptent Models

Display Avatars Sort By:
diego dean
(cfionthefly) - M
Henry on 03/04/2013 09:01:16 MST Print View

Will the reduced poled length (20 inch to 18 inch) also apply to the Moment DW? Probably most dont care, but I have found the shorter the better for thinks like bikepacking.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Henry on 03/04/2013 09:04:44 MST Print View

> Will the reduced poled length (20 inch to 18 inch) also apply to the Moment DW? Probably most dont care, but I have found the shorter the better for thinks like bikepacking.

Yes, same. Just waiting for the next pole shipment. We have already made the switch on the Rainbow and Double Rainbow.

-H

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
TT Moment for winter on 03/05/2013 15:56:15 MST Print View

The new TT Moment with a "solid" inner tent will make a nice solo winter tent. I can wait for it and then sell my current Gen 1 Moment, crossing pole and liner.

(Of course I'll have to mod the new Moment with an inner crossing pole beneath the fly! ;o)

With either the factory outer crossing pole or a modded interior crossing pole this Moment DW will be far more winter-worthy than the Hilleberg Akto in terms of being able to withstand wind and snow loads.

Yeah, five or six more ounces but that outweighs the advantages it offers.

Edited by Danepacker on 03/06/2013 16:44:26 MST.

ed hyatt
(edhyatt) - MLife

Locale: The North; UK
Moment DW; How much does it weigh? on 03/06/2013 15:51:10 MST Print View

I'll try again....

Henry

"The interior is 10 oz (10.1 actually), the fly + stakes + stuffsack is 34-10 = 20 oz. Of the 20 oz, the included arch pole is 6.5 ounces. The "crossing pole" is a 7-ounce option"

Perhaps it's the £/$ exchange rate but I make that 34 oz - around 960g - is that right?

Checked and that seems to concur with the website weight?

If you have run up a 'Scarp type' inner - how much (provisionally) did that weigh?

Edited by edhyatt on 03/06/2013 15:51:47 MST.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Re: Solid Inner on 03/06/2013 16:52:15 MST Print View

Henry,

When deciding on the best venting for a solid interior try putting colored smoke inside the tent, then turn on a big fan and see which version vents the smoke out best with the least area of mesh.

You may not need mesh on the roof area, just high on the sides.

wiiawiwb wiiawiwb
(wiiawiwb) - F
Cloudburst 3 height? on 03/13/2013 15:37:56 MDT Print View

I was looking at TT's website and can't seem to find the height. Anyone know?

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Re: Solid Inner on 03/13/2013 16:13:08 MDT Print View

> When deciding on the best venting for a solid interior try putting colored smoke inside the tent

Good idea. I'll shoot an email over to the Vatican to see how they make theirs -- when the white smoke comes out I'll know it's done.

Henry Shires
(07100) - F - M
Re: Cloudburst 3 height? on 03/13/2013 16:18:40 MDT Print View

About 41" to the center seam. The optional liner takes about 2" off of that.

-H

Jan S
(karl-ton)
Re: Re: Re: Solid Inner on 03/13/2013 16:20:56 MDT Print View

"I'll shoot an email over to the Vatican to see how they make theirs"

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_conclave#Post-scrutiny (last sentence in the paragraph)

You might need to experiment with the right mixture a bit though.

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
impressions? on 03/13/2013 16:21:19 MDT Print View

Anybody (Alex Wallace?) have a chance to take the Moment DW out yet?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: Lartnec Nagihcim
Re: impressions? on 03/13/2013 16:39:15 MDT Print View

I really like the look of the CB3, it would be perfect for bringing the wife on trips as she likes tents with lots of space.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: impressions? on 03/13/2013 17:29:46 MDT Print View

Stephen,

The CB3 is the first tent ever that my wife would consider trading for our Double Rainbow.

I dig it too.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: impressions? on 03/13/2013 17:54:21 MDT Print View

Nice one Travis,

I will have to save up my pennies.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
Re: Re: Re: Re: impressions? on 03/13/2013 22:41:54 MDT Print View

Uh-oh, Stephen. That'd be 5 shelters and counting. I have to agree with you, the CB3 looks like a 3 season, maybe 3.5 season Hilleberg killer. If the Kaitum and the Anjan had a love-child, it'd be the CB3, albeit with different skintones.

Anthony Britner
(ant89) - F - M

Locale: North Wales, UK
Moment on 03/14/2013 12:17:31 MDT Print View

I like the new Moment. I like the fact a solid inner will be on the way. The only big thing I'd prefer on it is a flysheet that goes to ground- but maybe that's just me.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: impressions? on 03/14/2013 14:55:20 MDT Print View

Stuart,

Don't you know if its for use with the wife it counts as household gear, and so comes out of the household budget ;-)

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Where the air is thin
Household budget on 03/14/2013 16:29:34 MDT Print View

That doesn't fly in my household. Nice arrangement :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Household budget on 03/14/2013 17:14:19 MDT Print View

Sure it keeps me out of trouble :-)

Benjamin Auer
(mankind117)
Impressions of the new moment. on 03/25/2013 10:59:32 MDT Print View

I got the new moment this last Friday and took it out this weekend on the AT in Maryland. I will post pictures later but so far I am impressed. I'm really tall and I actually fit ok. Height wise it could be taller but that is most tents. I'm 6'6" and with no pad inside I can just sit up straight. Length size it is plenty long enough since the fly is well away from the ends of the inner. This weekend I had no trouble fitting in a large neo-air xtherm and still had room for most of my things inside with the pack (x-large ula catalyst) in the vestibule. The the freestanding feature works ok with the extra pole. I was able to set it up in my living room with the optional pole. I would say the freestanding feature works better than the scarp with I have used as well. I think with the solid inner that will hopefully be released later this would make an excellent winter tent. It was interesting as somebody else I was with this weekend had a notch. The new moment is basically a notch with the arch pole instead of the trekking poles. Overall the notch had a little more headroom and bigger vestibules but the moment double wall has more floor space inside with the ability to be freestanding if you had to pitch it on some place where staking is hard. This will probably be my new go to tent. I'm looking forward to using it in winter the a solid inner and the crossing pole. It will mean a lot less fiddling of pounding a lot of stakes into frozen ground.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

"Smoke & mirrors"... on 03/25/2013 23:57:07 MDT Print View

Henry,

OK, OK so my smoke idea sounds wacky. But, hey, how else are you going to find out which mesh/ripstop configuration works best?

Bless you my Son. May all your venting be successful.

Yours, "Waiting for the White Smoke" Eric