Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
carbon fiber tent stakes: any users out there
Display Avatars Sort By:
D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
carbon fiber tent stakes: any users out there on 02/26/2013 22:34:59 MST Print View

Has anyone purchased these? They seem like a well-made product (at least the ones Ruta Locura and Easton are selling). I know there are now many other companies offering them as well. My uses would be mainly Sierra trails and hard pack dirt.

Couch

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
carbon fiber tent stakes: any users? on 02/27/2013 04:09:35 MST Print View

Yes I have used them quite a bit.

http://tinyurl.com/9fysgze

Chad Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: carbon fiber tent stakes: any users out there on 02/27/2013 07:56:42 MST Print View

I have been using the 6" Ruta Locura Sorex stakes for the last few months. I bought a 4 pack and have just been carrying 2 to use along the ridgeline on my tarp. They have worked pretty well, however, in really rocky/rooty ground they can be a little hard to get in and may take a few repositions. I have been pretty happy with them though and will likely be ordering a pack of his 9" stakes to give them a try too...

Sorex Stakes

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: carbon fiber tent stakes: any users out there on 02/27/2013 08:48:48 MST Print View

I use the 9" ones. They work very well in soft ground. In hard rocky ground you might have trouble getting them in.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
carbon fiber tent stakes on 02/27/2013 09:23:33 MST Print View

I've been using some of the MSR carbon core stakes for a few recent trips. So far, so good. Lighter than my ti shepherd hooks and better holding power. They've proven reasonably durable so far; I've pounded them in to some dense, hard packed ground with a small rock without any trouble.

Obscenely expensive... I got lucky and found them on a good sale a few months back.

D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
good info...thank you on 02/27/2013 10:13:36 MST Print View

Good to hear everyone has had success with these. For my money, I am tired of the ubber light shepherd stakes as they are easily bent and seem to work best in a limited variety of applications under somewhat ideal conditions---maybe this belongs in "stupid light" category?

Couch

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: carbon fiber tent stakes on 02/27/2013 11:09:20 MST Print View

I've used the Ruta Locura carbon stakes a few times with good results. Great holding power. Can be a pain to get out of the ground though. I did manage to knock one of the heads off, but that was due to me being careless I think. The MSR's look great, will most likely get a set of them once my current stakes break/get lost.

Ryan

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: carbon fiber tent stakes: any users out there on 02/27/2013 11:50:12 MST Print View

I've also used the Ruta Locura stakes from Josh. Work great for me.