Forum Index » Gear Deals » Grid Fleece Balaclava (Patagucci R1 Material) - $6.90

Display Avatars Sort By:
Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Kramer's Gear Outlet Store on 02/27/2013 16:22:28 MST Print View

Yeah, Dan, I think I might have bought everything he was selling last fall. And he's the best source of anything he sells--always a clean transaction, quality stuff at a good price. (Just a show of support for a BPL guy that isn't out to fleece the members, like some others seem to do...)

Adam Kramer
(rbeard) - F

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia
alright on 02/27/2013 17:14:29 MST Print View

if my wife sees this thread, i'm toast. i finally have her convinced that everyone who likes the outdoors has a huge gear closet and 10+ jackets even if they live in atlanta ga.

i guess i am a hard working gear head and a minimalist at the same time. truth is, i cant pass up a great deal, and once i get it, if i don't want it, it goes up on gearswap. and i always try to pass the savings along.

most of my sales are from my personal gear closet which has thinned out considerably. i lost my job last fall and thank everyone who bought from me to keep my addiction alive and well. since the new job, my days selling are few and far between.

oh, and i learned everything i know from dale w.

happy hiking!

Tyler Miller
(FightingTheTide) - F - M

Locale: Southeast
Got one too on 03/02/2013 20:06:14 MST Print View

That price can't be beat. Anyone know how much they weigh yet?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Sizing? on 03/02/2013 20:19:22 MST Print View

I wear an XL hat-- how are these things for size? Those of us with large noggins never trust "one size fits most."

Tyler Miller
(FightingTheTide) - F - M

Re: Sizing? on 03/03/2013 06:30:37 MST Print View

Dale, I'm in that boat too. I'll let you know what I find.

Jordan Cerna
(cernajn)

Locale: Midwest
Got mine in! on 03/04/2013 12:59:34 MST Print View

Just threw it up on the scale and it reads 2.1oz.

My head probably fits on the smaller side of the cap size spectrum, but these do have a lot of stretch. Which might fit an 'XL'-sized dome.

Andy Anderson
(ianders) - F

Re: Got mine in! on 03/04/2013 15:41:09 MST Print View

Got mine too. It's pretty lightweight. If you hold it up to the light you can see right through it. I don't think I would consider it for "extreme cold weather". It's similar to Cap 2 material.

John Martin
(snapyjohn) - M

Locale: Pacific NW
I received mine on 03/04/2013 18:23:36 MST Print View

I have a noggin that most is hard to fit I wear a size 8 to 1/4 hat and these fit me.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
Fit and restating material on 03/04/2013 19:40:59 MST Print View

I have a 23.5" dome (circumference) and this has enough room for my giant dome. It is stretchy if one needs a little more room.
I will have to respectfully disagree with the above comment that is it not for cold weather and that it is similar to Cap 2 material. It is much thicker than Cap 2 material and surprisingly warmer than one may think it to be. Yes it is breathable because it is supposed to be (grid fleece allows this to happen, this isn't a windstopper like lyrca).
Like I said in my first comment, it is the VERY SAME grid fleece used in the R1 from Patagonia (which is respectively much warmer than a cap 2 piece from my understanding). Cap 2 isn't grid fleece so I'm not sure where this comment poked up from. Please correct me if I'm wrong but a quick google search shows the cap 2 to be a light baselayer and an R1 is more suitable for midlayer (some use it as a base, not I).
Anyhow, I have taken this on numerous dayhikes the passed two weeks and find it to be adequately warm to around 20f if I am active (probably 35f for sitting around if no wind is involved). Add a hooded windshirt and take it to the teens no problem (again, active... you're going to want a warm hood on top of this is you're sitting at camp in below freezing). I also have long hair so that adds extra insulation.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 03/04/2013 19:43:36 MST.

Duane Klinge
(ksc)
GEN III Level 1-3 on 03/11/2013 12:36:51 MDT Print View

I decided to checkout some of the other clothing options in the Rothco GEN III line.

I ordered items below:

GEN III MILITARY ECWCS JACKET/LINER Medium
GEN III LEVEL II UNDERWEAR TOP Medium --> weight was 366g -- 12.9 oz
GEN III SILK WEIGHT UNDERWEAR TOPS Medium
Gen III Level 2 Balaclava

I am about 5'11" 170lbs and the top 3 items were too large (not athletic fit)
maybe a small may have worked better, but I was not going thru any more shipping cost.
The good part was free shipping to my address.

I sent back all except for the Balaclava which fit well and appeared to be fairly warm.
Should work well for cold weather skiing 10deg and colder when paired with ski hat.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Sunday AfterSWOON on 03/11/2013 22:17:25 MDT Print View

I laughed hard at this thread.

Also, what's wrong with the Sunday Afternoon hat styling? Looks like a GREAT hat!!

Sunday Afternoon

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Sunday AfterSWOON on 03/13/2013 23:38:58 MDT Print View

All that trouble to stay cool and black shorts? Nooooooo

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Sunday AfterSWOON on 03/13/2013 23:45:24 MDT Print View

You look like dumbo when you walk into the wind wearing hats like that.