Forum Index » GEAR » Bay Area Backcountry Camping

Display Avatars Sort By:
Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Bay Area Backcountry Camping on 02/26/2013 10:45:42 MST Print View

Hello. Is there a good resource that comprehensively lists backcountry backpacking sites around the Bay Area?

I'm familiar with Bay Area Hiker but there is a dearth of recommendations outside of the standard (mostly car camping or walk in) camp sites. Henry Coe is wonderful but I assume there but be others in the area. Seems like some of the hot spots like Pt. Reyes prohibit backcountry camping. I'd love to find places within 2 - 3 hours of San Francisco.

Thank you.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Bay Area Backcountry Camping on 02/26/2013 10:58:57 MST Print View

How about the coast side entrance to Big Basin, at Rancho del Oso. Beautiful drive down highway 1, spectacular beach right by the trail head, lots of hiking and camping either in the redwoods or on chaparral hills with sweet views.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Bay Area Backcountry Camping on 02/26/2013 12:36:03 MST Print View

This isn't "Bay Area", but check out the Ventana Wilderness south of Monterey. There is also Cache Creek Natural Area near Clear Lake.

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
Thanks on 02/26/2013 17:26:10 MST Print View

Thanks for the tips. Just realized that I should have posted this thread in the other forum...

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Bay Area Backcountry Camping on 02/26/2013 17:55:57 MST Print View

If by "backcountry" you mean "camp wherever you dang well please", then Henry Coe is the only place I know of.
But, Point Reyes and Big Basin are nice places to backpack if you can deal with designated camp sites.
Those are really the only Bay Area places I know of, and I would quite call Point Reyes "Bay Area".

I always forget, but there is some backpacking to be done in the east bay as well:
http://www.ebparks.org/activities/camping/backpacking#sunol

Edited by stingray4540 on 02/26/2013 18:14:21 MST.

Rex Sanders
(Rex) - M

Locale: Central California Coast
Re: Bay Area Backcountry Camping - Books on 02/26/2013 22:36:42 MST Print View

Most San Francisco Bay area parks that allow backpacking also require you to stay in designated camp sites.

One book I've used (but out of print now):

Camping and Backpacking the San Francisco Bay Area, Matt Heid
http://www.amazon.com/Camping-Backpacking-San-Francisco-Area/dp/0899972950/

In my experience, this book describes the parks, campsites, and trails within parks, pretty well, but some of the connections between parks are missing.

Looks like an updated backpacking-only version is available, but I haven't seen it:

One Night Wilderness: San Francisco Bay Area, Matt Heid
http://www.amazon.com/One-Night-Wilderness-Convenient-Backpacking/dp/0899976239/

Depending on where you live in the Bay Area, 2-3 hours of driving can get you to Big Sur to the south, or to Mendocino National Forest to the north.

Edited by Rex on 02/26/2013 22:59:41 MST.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Bay Area Backcountry Camping on 02/26/2013 23:13:33 MST Print View

Murietta Falls in the Ohlone Wilderness.

--B.G.--

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Re: Bay Area Backcountry Camping - Books on 02/27/2013 00:52:50 MST Print View

Well, heck, if you're willing to drive 3 hours, might as well head to Tahoe...