November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Caldera Cone and Starlyte stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Marty Cochran
(mcochran77) - F

Locale: Southern Oregon
Re: Caldera Cone + Starlyte + 1.3 Evernew pot on 06/16/2014 10:12:17 MDT Print View

I use my Sidewinder Ti-Tri + Starlyte + 1.3 Evernew pot without the stakes and if I prop up the bottom of the cone 1/4 inch to let in more air it is only a little slower than the 12-10, but more efficient. Doing this I use 12 grams of fuel to boil 16oz of 55 degree water. Test your setup with pencils propping up the cone, I think you will like it.

jimmy benson
(biggyshorty) - F
Starlyte on 07/03/2014 12:45:28 MDT Print View

Hi all,

I'm also new to this thread but having just gotten a Sidewinder ti-tri (with 1.3L evernew) I thought I'd revisit. I took it out for 2 trips, love how well the cone works, hate the hell out of the stakes.

If I get the Starlyte and fuel is less of a priority than speed, I should get the original one, correct?

Edited by biggyshorty on 07/03/2014 12:52:19 MDT.

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: Starlyte on 07/03/2014 13:25:44 MDT Print View

Yes the original one would be the one to go with. :)

jimmy benson
(biggyshorty) - F
thx on 07/03/2014 13:41:57 MDT Print View

Thanks James! I'm seriously blown away at how this little cone has changed my camping experience... I am using their supplied alcohol stove but intrigued by starlyte ;-)

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: thx on 07/03/2014 14:49:18 MDT Print View

The greatest thing about the Starlite is the ability to forego the stakes as pot supports and get the full benefit of the cone. Enjoy it, I know I do :)

Sean Passanisi
(passanis) - MLife
A bit lost... on 07/17/2014 06:46:00 MDT Print View

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Sidewinder as well. I understand the stakes can be a bit hard to set up. Am I understanding correctly that using a Starlyte alleviates this problem? And I'm not sure which is the "original"... Is the original the model of Starlyte that TD sells as an alternative to the 12-10? Thanks,

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Hmmm... on 07/19/2014 13:54:07 MDT Print View

And now all this commentary has me wondering what the boil times would be with the same beer can/Sidewinder combo and the Brian Green modified Gram Cracker tab holder with ESBIT. Hmmmm?? Anyone out there tried this?

Personally I use a small 3 cup anodized aluminum pot and lid with my Sidewinder. Maybe the smaller beer can setup would boil a lot faster. My needs are boiling water AND cooking (like spaghetti), thus the small pot and not a beer can mug.