Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Caldera Cone and Starlyte stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: Caldera Cone + Starlyte + 1.9 Evernew pot on 06/15/2013 18:39:02 MDT Print View

Diane, I'll send you a regular StarLyte burner to compare the boil times. I have one that has a dent in the bottom caused during shipping to someone. The dent is just cosmetic. Burner should work fine.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Fast is relative on 06/15/2013 18:41:21 MDT Print View

I've been very happy with the alcohol stoves--I'm not looking to be the fastest diner in the campground. However, there was a noticeable difference between the two stoves. I'm just wondering if I could get a little faster burn time with some simple modifications.

If I *really* wanted speed, I get a cannister stove. Anything that uses pressurized gas scares me, though--when I had a Whisperlite, it was all I could do to light the stove. I don't light our BBQ at home if I can help it. Yes, I'm a wimp, a real pyrophobe. Somehow, the alcohol to me is easier and more friendly.

I'm cooking for 2 people, that's why the larger amount. 1 L boiled gets me 2 cups of coffee/tea, water for homemade oatmeal, plus a little left-over for teeth brushing/cleanup.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: Fast is relative on 06/15/2013 19:11:30 MDT Print View

Wow Diane, what size/style pot are you using with the sidewinder? I have both the 600mL and the 900mL evernew short/wide and they both boil about 2 cups of water (relatively cold water) in about 7-9 mins. I use about a half ounce of denatured alcohol, the modified starlyte, no stakes.....

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Pot size on 06/16/2013 07:42:09 MDT Print View

I'm using the Evernew 1.9 L pot--bigger than what you're packing, Jennifer.

I'm curious to see what the unmodified burner will do--Thanks, Dan!

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Height from burner on 06/16/2013 07:50:49 MDT Print View

The Evernew 1.9 L pot in the Caldera Cone w/o stakes ends up about 2.5 inches from the ground. Subtracting the 1 inch height of the stove, that puts the pot 1.5 inches from the stove.

What does that do to the heating of the pot? Does that add time to the burn?

Garth Collier
(garthc) - MLife

Locale: Singapore
Re: CC & Star on 06/16/2013 08:08:30 MDT Print View

Dan D and Dan Y,

Would you recommend the regular or modified Starlyte for a Evernew 900 pot with a Ti-Tri sidewinder??
thx

Chad "Stick" Poindexter
(Stick) - F

Locale: Wet & Humid Southeast....
Re: Re: CC & Star on 06/16/2013 09:54:53 MDT Print View

Garth, I have been using the modified Starlyte with my 0.9L Evernew pot & sidewinder. It really does work well together. I don't use the ti stakes to lift my pot, but instead just place the pot in as one would for Esbit, so that the lip of the pot is resting on the top of the cone. This will bring the bottom of the pot closer to the intended distance between pot & stove.

I will admit, it is not the quickest stove (as other's have mentioned), although, it is rather efficient. I would imagine that by going with the regular version of the Starlyte it would indeed slightly increase boil times, but would also slightly decrease fuel efficiency (although, I would wager it would still be perfectly acceptable).

I have read of at least one other person buying the moded version, giving it a try, and then they simply removed the ring that Dan has added to choke the flame a bit, which turned it into the regular version of the stove. (Be aware though, once the ring is removed, it may not be possible to replace it). OTOH, as inexpensive as they are, maybe you could pick up one of each. Then you can keep them both, or sell the one you didn't want...

Anyway, here is a write up and a video I did of my set-up:

http://sticksblog.com/2013/05/03/td-sidewinder-caldera-cone-the-0-9l-evernew-ul-ti-cook-pot/

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Starlyte on 06/17/2013 15:53:07 MDT Print View

Garth, I don't have actual numbers in front of me, but my results were approx 8 min boils vs. 10 min (reg vs modified) and a saving about of 10% fuel in exchange. I prefer the faster boils so I like the regular Starlyte, but priorities may differ. 20% faster or 10% more fuel efficient.

Edited by dandydan on 06/18/2013 08:12:18 MDT.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
FS: StarLyte Burner with Lid & Flat Bottom Foster for Caldera Cone/StarLyte on 06/17/2013 21:23:59 MDT Print View

As a very satisfied long-time user of the Caldera Keg-F Stove System I was somehow intrigued by this post and ordered both StarLyte burners (original and modified) together with the "Flat Bottom Foster for Caldera Cone/StarLyte" that is only offered to BPL viewers.

What really intrigued me about the StarLyte is the ability of the stove to hold fuel - it would enable me to go on a weekend trip without having to take my fuel bottle.

Dan (Zelph) shipped my order right away, so I already had a chance to test them.

My tests showed that my three year old 12-10 stove from Trail Designs is the fastest to boil 2 cups of water. The modified StarLyte is the slowest. All three stoves get 2 cups of water to a boil with 15 ml of fuel in my kitchen using tap water. I decided to keep the modified StarLyte because it uses slightly less fuel - although it is slower than the original StarLyte. My thought is that this will ensure that I really get the number of complete burns I need for a weekend from one stove filling.

The Flat Bottom Foster for Caldera Cone/StarLyte is the lightest 2 cup capacity setup I'm aware of. When I got it I had to ask Dan how to put it into the Caldera Cone. He sent me this youtube link that shows how to do it.

While I really like the flat bottom can - especially for eating out of it - I don't like the fiddeling factor of getting the can in and out of the Caldera Cone. It is easy to do, but it is not for me.

In order to keep the clutter of backpacking gear in my garage down, I'm selling the StarLyte Burner with Lid and the Flat Bottom Foster for Caldera Cone/StarLyte. Included with the can is an aluminum lid and a plastic lid for covering the can for storage.

Both were only used twice in my kitchen for a burn test.

I paid $33 (incl. shipping) for those. I would like to get $28 (PayPal gift preferred) for both (incl. shipping CONUS).

Manfred

Edited by Orienteering on 06/17/2013 21:24:47 MDT.

Garth Collier
(garthc) - MLife

Re: Starlyte on 06/18/2013 01:57:53 MDT Print View

Hi Dan and Chad,

thx for your comments...cheers!

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: CC & Star on 06/18/2013 06:28:08 MDT Print View

Garth, I recommend the regular based on the experience of Dandydan.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

1.9 L Evernew, Sidewinder cone w/o stakes, and unmodified Starlyte stove on 06/22/2013 14:41:58 MDT Print View

Dan very kindly sent me a freebie unmodified stove (had a little dent which did not affect the performance) to play with. I'm happy to report that with my larger pot the *un*modified Starlyte burner worked much better, comparable to the 12-10 stove with the pot on its stakes. Without the stakes, the pot sits only 1 1/2 inches above the surface of the stove, but it seems to work ok.

I suppose I should test the Starlyte stove with the pot on the stakes, which would raise it up, but since I'm trying to eliminate the stakes from my kit, I don't care. I find the stakes make the set-up more precarious--if it were me, I'd drill the stake holes so that they come closer to the center of the cone, rather than out on the sides. My pot just barely seems to perch on the stakes, and is prone to tipping, as putting the stakes in makes the cone a little oval. I haven't ever used it in its wood-burning configuration, and quite frankly I'd be a little afraid to--the pot would sit much higher and would be much more precarious.

Garth Collier
(garthc) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: CC & Star on 06/23/2013 04:27:36 MDT Print View

Thx Dan Y,

I just order a sidewinder and starlyte from Traildesigns. TD's only supply the modified starlyte but i read on one forum that it is possible to take out the ring on the modified and it goes back to a standard version. Is this correct?? Note i went this route as you were not taking international orders on your website. Rgds G

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: CC & Star on 06/23/2013 07:09:12 MDT Print View

Hello Garth, yes it's easy to remove the reducing ring from the modified StarLyte. I have been taking International Orders for the StarLyte burners for a while now. They are on my store website. The Modified StarLyte only costs $1.00 more. Thanks Garth for your interest in the Trail Designs "Sidewinder" and the StarLyte. I recently purchased a "Sidewinder" made for a custom stainless steel pot. Rand at Trail Designs is a super nice guy to work with.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/starlyte-burner-with-lid.php

Gregory Stein
(tauneutrino) - F

Locale: Upper Galilee
Manfred deal on 06/23/2013 12:02:45 MDT Print View

Manfred, I'm sorry for the stupidity of my question, but still I want to understand...

You sell:
0) Regular Starlyte stove + lid (deos it have the pot support?)
1) Foster's can for the starlyte + lid
2) Caldera Cone (?!!?!) for this setup

All in one package for $28? including shipping?

I'm sorry I should send this as a PM, but I'm still not a member.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Manfred deal on 06/23/2013 12:11:39 MDT Print View

Gregory,You can pm him.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Re: Manfred deal on 06/23/2013 12:50:51 MDT Print View

Gregory,

I tried to PM you, but you didn't set it up yet.

I'm selling

1) The original StarLyte with Lid. It doesn't have a pot support - as it is intended for use wit a Caldera Cone
2) The Flat bottom Foster Can with lid - specifically made for use in Caldera Cone with StarLyte

There is no Caldera Cone inluded..

The shipping to CONUS (continental US) is included

Manfred

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Manfred deal on 06/23/2013 14:55:11 MDT Print View

When I wrote my post above Gregory was set up for pms.

Derrick White
(miku) - MLife

Locale: Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada
Ring Romved Can still be used & Burner Distance and Soot on 06/24/2013 09:46:52 MDT Print View

I recently received a modified burner from Dan and removed the ring to get faster burn times. It removes very easily and I even managed to get it back in, for no other reason than to see if I could. I bent it a bit to do so but it works just as well.

Interestingly, the ring does not need to be reinserted to work effectively. Merely laying it on top works just fine. Practically, I am not sure if I will ever use it this way, but for now I keep it with the plastic lid and burner which potentially allows me to use it to increase fuel efficiency if ever required.

On another note, I have been using the Starlyte without a shim which puts it about 1.75" below the pot bottom. I am getting more soot on the pot than I did with the 12-10 from Trail Designs, using the same fuel, but sitting .5" higher.

1. Does anyone have any experience with reducing soot by putting the burner closer to the pot?
2. And, what distances are people finding optimal with the starlyte from the pot bottom? If recall the Dan Durston gave an optimal distance of 1.8 as getting the fastest burn times with the 12-10.

Thanks

Derrick

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Pot Height on 06/24/2013 10:45:31 MDT Print View

This is what I got for burn times and fuel usage. I've never gotten much soot. Note that "pot height" means the gap between the pot and stove, not the actual gross height of the pot.

Starlyte Grapsh