Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Gossamer Gear G6 Whisper "Uberlite" Backpack
Display Avatars Sort By:
John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Gossamer Gear G6 Whisper "Uberlite" Backpack on 02/25/2013 18:52:32 MST Print View

POLICIES
For Sale postings may not include references (especially URLs) to any external listings. We'll cheerfully remove such cross-posting information.

Meir Gottlieb
(mcg11)
Gossamer Gear G6 Whisper Backpack on eBay - Posting Policy on 02/26/2013 04:53:28 MST Print View

It only said that in the "Gear Swap" area. That policy was not posted in the "Gear Deals" area. I thought it would be OK to post here about current eBay listings. Thank you for clarifying.

Edited by mcg11 on 02/26/2013 04:57:53 MST.

Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
eBay postings on 02/26/2013 21:41:08 MST Print View

So if I see a killer gear deal on Ebay I want to share with the BPL community I post it where? Seems like Gear Deals is just the place to post it.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
whats the "deal?" on 02/26/2013 22:24:34 MST Print View

I've posted external URLs in Gear Deals many times. I literally just posted an ebay URL about Grid Fleece Balaclava's.
When there is a good deal... there is a good deal.

D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
re: OP on 02/26/2013 22:44:51 MST Print View

As I recall, the original post was a self-promotion routing to eBay which would seem to be the type of cross posting prohibited or at the very least discouraged. I don't think it was a heads up type of post that most of us are thankful for. A better use of the forums may have been to post in Gear Swap and then if there were no takers, to edit the post as "moving to eBay." Interested buyers could then follow it there if they so desired.

You could well imagine the traffic and or congestion on the BPL forums pages if we all referenced our eBay, WhiteBlaze etc...items for sale-----shutter at the thought!

Couch

Edward Jursek

Ebay Links on 02/27/2013 17:52:50 MST Print View

If the original post at issue was a cross promotion linking to the poster's own Ebay sale, then I would agree, it should have been offered for sale in the Gear Swap Forum first, then listed on Ebay. I have seen this happen a number of times on a number of items on the GSF and the practice seems fine, as does the "off to Ebay" warning when the item does not sell. I have also seen members link to Ebay items of special interest to our members with a notice that they are not affiliated with the listing. That seems entirely appropriate and a great service to the community. Cross promotion does clutter the form and, if undisclosed, I think it is dishonest. I reviewed both the original posting at issue and the Ebay posting when the notice first went up and I did not see that the member who posted the item here had any affiliation with the Ebay listing. Dave's assertions that the original post was a cross promotion look pretty thin for pulling a posting or calling out a member. Perhaps the member who made the posting could clarify that?

Edited by nedjursek@gmail.com on 02/27/2013 17:54:37 MST.

Edward Jursek

Ebay Irony on 02/27/2013 17:58:46 MST Print View

I just looked at the Ebay posting again. I loved that there is a link in the Ebay listing to the review of the G6 on BPL.