Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Nunatak ARC A.T and Skaha Plus
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
Nunatak ARC A.T and Skaha Plus on 04/19/2007 08:22:19 MDT Print View

Well it's done. I ordered an Arc A.T. and Skaha Plus last night, both in Quantum "Brick Red". I had the AT lengthened to 60" since I'm 5'11" tall.
I had 1oz overfill added to the jacket plus their front pocket mod since I'm also going to be using it in the winter and found myself missing pockets quite a lot with my Micropuff jacket this year.

Expected delivery is about 1 month from now, hopefully in time for the first of my BC bike races on June 1st.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
Re: Nunatak ARC A.T and Skaha Plus on 04/19/2007 12:21:27 MDT Print View

Congrats, the skaha plus is a very nice piece and I'm envious of the arc at. Which bike races are you talking about, I've got one I'm doing ... it would be righteous to say hi?
I'm sorry that you've got the cycling and sul disease together. But it appears you're spousal unit is addicted too.
Did a time trial Sat. in which a lot of nw people show with all their new eyecandy, ya know sometimes ya gotta just put your head down and peddle cuz it'll make you crazy.

Edited by pyeyo on 04/19/2007 12:43:11 MDT.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Nunatak ARC A.T and Skaha Plus on 04/19/2007 12:39:27 MDT Print View

I'll be doing two little known events. One is in June called the Grand Loop (360 miles). The other will be the equivelent of fast packing the Colorado Trail by bike.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Re: Re: Re: Nunatak ARC A.T and Skaha Plus on 04/19/2007 12:44:53 MDT Print View

There's smoke coming off my search engine and the calender is spread .... .

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nunatak ARC A.T and Skaha Plus on 04/19/2007 13:12:45 MDT Print View

Did you find the links? If you need details there's a link to both "race" sites on my blog under my profile.

Last scouting trip out on the Paradox I was SUL and the people riding with me were amazed.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

sick cyclists on 04/19/2007 15:34:10 MDT Print View

We are a pair of very sick cyclists, I enjoyed your blog and found the links.
You'll notice I do not have a blog where I post my times, this is possibly caused by the slowness in which I tend to finish.
I took a couple of long mtn bike trips last year that were sul and intend to do more this year between and after the event season.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: sick cyclists on 04/19/2007 16:24:19 MDT Print View

Fun is the most important thing, not speed. There is no other reason to do things this hard :)

The Grand Loop will test all my skills I've developed thus far and I will be going SUL, maybe sub 4. My ThinLight pad just arrived today. I cannot wait to try the new setup all together. Nunatak, Thinlight and Montbell UL bivy. Should be warmer than my current Montbell #7 alpine although that bag was a steal at $100! I'm going for pack, water and food for 5days in a GoLite Ion (1600cubic inches).

Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Re: sick cyclists on 04/19/2007 16:58:32 MDT Print View

Christopher, I think my wife was at the Cherry Creek Reservoir at the same time as your time trial. She mentioned a "race" and that she was lapped at least once by some of the riders. She was on a mountain bike doing a recreational ride. We ride at the reservoir frequently. I'm the cycling merit badge counselor and we are often there with the scouts. I just got a NightLight, a SitLight, and a 1/4 inch ThinLight. Please tell me you're not sleeping on a 1/4 inch ThinLight :o, I'll feel like a wimp. The SitLight positioned under the small of my back, or side above my hips, seems to make a big difference in hip comfort. I'm still experimenting with the pads. I'm enjoying your blog, thanks!

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Re: sick cyclists on 04/19/2007 17:10:08 MDT Print View

Actually it was a 1/8" thinlight :)

I've been using just a 3/8" blue pad cut down to 26" with a taper at the bottom for a while now. It's fine although I used my 32" version last trip and liked the extra length.

On my multiday races I think I'll be bringing just a 1/8" thinlight cut to a similar size (32" long with a taper at the end). I might also bring a very short section of the 3/8" pad for my hips and as a sit pad before I crawl in my bag but that's easily the first thing thrown out if space in the pack becomes an issue. I'm young and am tired so I really just care about being warm. After that sleep comes easily. The quilt should make a big difference in that area too as I've found I'm quite hot right after getting off and riding but after a couple hours I finally cool down and get all the way in the bag/bivy.

Edit: Using a partially inflated platy as a pillow is luxury! :D

Edited by Pivvay on 04/19/2007 17:12:27 MDT.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: sick cyclists on 04/19/2007 23:00:51 MDT Print View

Well thank goodness they don't have a 1/16th inch pad. Now I not only envy you for the arc at there is the fact you can sleep on a 1/8th inch pad during a race.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sick cyclists on 05/22/2007 16:38:24 MDT Print View

Well the arc AT has arrived and it is beautiful. I will post pictures soon. It weighs in at 250g in a M/L (60") version with 2 straps and the tags. The Skaha Plus has not arrived yet however so I haven't got to test the system. Hopefully it will arrive very shortly...

Chris

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Locale: dirtville, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sick cyclists on 05/22/2007 18:23:36 MDT Print View

excellent, i look forward to hearing more about your adventures with the Arc AT. i'm going to sew a copy of it for my 5-year-old son (and it won't hurt that it can be dual-purposed for Mama or Daddy), except i'll probably bump it down to a 30 degree bag. good luck!

Scott Jones
(Ultimate2) - F
Nunatak ac a.t. and skaha plus on 05/22/2007 23:09:14 MDT Print View

Can't wait to see the picture of your new Arc. I am very curious about both the Nunatak top bags and Jacks R Better quilts.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Nunatak ac a.t. and skaha plus on 05/25/2007 12:10:57 MDT Print View

Sigh. Still waiting on the Skaha. Does not appear I will have it for a test this weekend.

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Nunatak ac a.t. and skaha plus on 05/30/2007 10:46:15 MDT Print View

Overnight delivery of a loaner skaha plus is scheduled to arrive any minute now. My red quantum skaha is not yet ready but Tom loaned me his for the trip. I appreciate that effort on his part to make sure I had what I needed since I ordered the AT/Skaha plus combo specifically so I'd have it in time for this adventure.

Pictures tonight if it all arrives as scheduled.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Nunatak customer service on 05/30/2007 10:53:58 MDT Print View

Yes, Nunatak rocks. They are definitely a cottage concern that should be patronized by the UL community. Now if they only provided scholarships for those who can't afford their goods!

David Stenberg
(dstenberg1) - F

Locale: South
Re: Re: Re: Nunatak ac a.t. and skaha plus on 06/21/2007 18:12:38 MDT Print View

Can you post some pictures for all of us to see the ARC A.T. and Skaha Plus?

Thanks!

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nunatak ac a.t. and skaha plus on 06/22/2007 09:18:01 MDT Print View

I would but I still don't have my Skaha yet. I had a loaner but it's on it's way back to nunatak. Hopefully my Skaha plus will arrive soon and I can get more indepth in my review.

Chris

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

skaha plus finally here to match the arc AT on 07/09/2007 14:11:01 MDT Print View

Itsa here. Just showed up today at lunch. Looooong wait but it appears worth it. It's quite puffy and warm for 12.26 oz. I got 1oz(+?) overfill plus the pocket as I intend to use it in the winter as well. I suppose I have the Cocoon hoody to save 2.75oz when I don't need as much warmth.

It's going to get quite a test. I'm thru biking the Colorado Trail in 10 days with just the Skaha Plus, Arc AT and my Montbell bivy. I'm off to go find an appropriately sized stuff sack for all 3 after work that can strap to my handlebars and get a couple more 2+ L Platy's for my resupply. Liquid diet for the trip as I am going as fast as possible and no stove so we'll see how that works.

Pictures tonight finally! The red Quantum fabric is stunning and my wife said the jacket is even a bit stylish! Haha. As long as it's warm...

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

ARC AT and Skaha Initial Results and other rambling on 07/17/2007 15:20:19 MDT Print View

Finally got to sleep a few nights in the setup as I ordered it (no loaner). Rated to 40degF? Easily with my setup. Both nights it was lows in the mid 40s and I didn't even have the hood up. Standing around in just shorts in the morning with the jacket was fun and I stayed plenty warm. On the top of Quandary Peak we didn't even need the jackets! It was very calm winds which is quite atypical of my 14er experience but definitely enjoyable.

The Skaha with 1oz overfill and the pocket is luxury and the 60" Arc AT makes it easy to sleep on my side or stomach. My wife looked at the Skaha Plus with envy knowing that come winter she will steal it and make me wear the Cocoon hoody instead. She slept in a MB #7 alpine with the cocoon hoody on but not the MB hood up. She doesn't like using sleeping bag hoods so I'm going to get her a hoodless bag or quilt and a nice balaclava to add to a hooded jacket to push the temperatures. I was quite pleased to leave her 600 fill 15deg bag at home for the first time and not have a wifesicle! She definitely sleeps 10-15deg colder than me which makes me hesitant to try a 2 person bag or quilt like the new FF one. It does look sweet though.

So far I really like my arc AT and quilts in general. In fact I'm thinking about getting a Arc Expedition for me so that my wife can use the WM -25 bag on our winter trips. I only own that one for races that require a specific rating (ie arrowhead 135) or futher big mountains.

Edited by Pivvay on 07/17/2007 15:21:22 MDT.