eureka solitare on the cheap
Display Avatars Sort By:
kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
eureka solitare on the cheap on 02/24/2013 14:33:41 MST Print View

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/product.asp?s_id=0&prod_name=SOLITAIRE+2012+A&pf_id=PAAAIAGJNEPBPKGN&dept_id=3070

found these on the eureka outlet store i have never ordered from them but if in need of a cheap /descent solo tent this might be worth a shot

kevin

Edited by divr6347 on 02/24/2013 14:34:55 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Dang! on 02/24/2013 19:00:45 MST Print View

Not the lightest thing in the world but pretty impressive from a cost per ounce perspective!

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Sweet on 02/24/2013 19:37:12 MST Print View

Good tent for someone starting out. Eureka makes what I call "bread and butter" gear. Solid, not flash, gets the job done at a good price.

Needless to $35 is awesome. Is it the "best" tent? Probably not.

But combine this tent it with a $100 Kelty Cosmic Down and a GoLite Jam on sale and a person can have some of the basics without burning up the credit card.

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
solitare on 02/24/2013 20:16:35 MST Print View

if only there were the possibility of getting aluminum poles for it

that would be really awesome probably works fine as is but just to lighten it up a bit and no broken pole worries still a great deal though

kevin

George Ford
(eers2u) - M

Locale: West Virginia
Re: eureka solitare on the cheap on 02/26/2013 04:59:21 MST Print View

Thanks for the link! Been considering one now that my daughter will be joining my son and I on some backpacking trips. Needed shelter for another person and this will work nicely to get her started.

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
eureka solitare on the cheap on 02/26/2013 14:33:08 MST Print View

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/product.asp?prod_name=SOLITAIRE+2012+B&pf_id=PAAAIABPNILDOLDG&dept_id=3070&s_id=0&

Here's what appears to be the same thing, or very similar for just $25

robert v
(mtnbob123) - F

Locale: Upstate South Carolina
Aluminum Poles on 02/27/2013 07:01:48 MST Print View

Hmmmmm I have some spare aluminum poles laying around. This might make a good backpacking doghouse!

Remington Roth
(remjroth) - F

Locale: Atlantic Coast
Indeed on 02/27/2013 10:50:14 MST Print View

This seems like the perfect in for someone new to backpacking. What a steal!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: eureka solitare on the cheap on 02/27/2013 11:44:29 MST Print View

They have A and B class tents. A tents are seconds. B tents are returns.

You can get custom aluminum or carbon poles, but you might step into the "lipstick on a pig" problem pretty quick.

IIRC, the ventilation is weak on the Solitaire. It migh be a candidate for surgery--- go at it with the scissors and turn it into a floorless shaped tarp.

BTW, some REI repair desks keep a stash of used poles from damaged returns. I bought a replacement pole for $8 at the Seattle Flagship store. They are easy to adapt for length using a tubing cutter.