Everyday Carry
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Re: Re: Re: you call that prepared? on 02/27/2013 14:22:59 MST Print View

>"We later realized they were twist off."

>> When did you finally realize the condoms weren't?

Being in a long term committed relationship, I actually don't use condoms; since I don't have sex anymore. She also has me on a raw food diet, so I don't have beer either. Which that seems like an arbitrary restriction, because couldn't an unpasteurized beer be considered "raw"?

I'm going to go chew on a carrot and sulk.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Pre-planning on 02/27/2013 14:23:59 MST Print View

"Leave your list of contacts (who'd "need" to know) with several friends / family members far away. Then with a single message - a tweet, a Facebook post, an email or phone call - you can task someone to tell you mom, kids, whoever, that you are alright."

Agreed. Even so, it was over 4 days before I could get the first message out to my primary family contact in California. So the other change we've made is to get an old fashioned dial phone to plug into our landline. Our remote handset phone was useless when the power went off, even though it theoretically had a battery back-up. the phone was so old that the battery didn't hold a charge :( But the other issue is that emergency services asked us NOT to use our cell phones unless it was actually an emergency. Needed to keep the lines clear for them to use. Contacting family IS important, but not if it means that people who are in dire straits can't get through to emergency services.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Pre-planning on 02/27/2013 14:29:43 MST Print View

"So the other change we've made is to get an old fashioned dial phone to plug into our landline. Our remote handset phone was useless when the power went off, even though it theoretically had a battery back-up."

I have Verizon FIOS for phone and computer. When the power goes out, your phone goes out after the backup battery dies (app. 2-3 hours). So even if you have an old fashioned phone (which I do for power outages), it's useless after a bit because my phone line itself is dead.

Ah, technology.

Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Re: Re: Re: edc on 02/27/2013 14:35:38 MST Print View

> Since Christchurch had our Big Quake, I have amended my EDC to include cash

100% agree with that one, during the Loma Prieta earthquake in 89' we had just moved, and our pantry was almost empty... but luckily my father always kept $300 dollars cash for emergencies.

Today the problem I have, is keeping that kind of cash safe from myself. I think I'm going to try that trick where you freeze some bills in a plastic cup, so it isn't as easy to dip into when running a little short on funds.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
...? on 02/27/2013 14:39:24 MST Print View

"she has me on a raw food diet, so I don't have beer either"

No sex and no beer? Sounds like your should every-day-carry on with your life! :P

And as to the cans-at-home and taps-when-out: All my favorite IPAs come in 22oz bottles and nothing else. Total Domination, Pelican, Elysian, Slayer, Hop Stoopid, Indica, Hop Czar, Vertical Epic. Although Brew Free or Die comes in cans.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re: edc on 02/27/2013 14:55:31 MST Print View

Cash is so old school. I carry gold brick.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: edc on 02/27/2013 15:45:44 MST Print View

"Today the problem I have, is keeping that kind of cash safe from myself. I think I'm going to try that trick where you freeze some bills in a plastic cup, so it isn't as easy to dip into when running a little short on funds."

Try a piggy bank. Can only access the dosh if you are willing to break the thing :) Makes you think twice.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: edc on 02/27/2013 15:52:20 MST Print View

"Cash is so old school. I carry gold brick."

Ron Paul would be very proud of you.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: edc on 02/27/2013 16:46:57 MST Print View

"Cash is so old school. I carry gold brick."

Hmm, I seem to recall some doomsday preppers like to stockpile booze as a bartering currency. I would rather have that than gold. Relieves pain, disinfects, and helps with sleep, boredom and anxiety.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
IPAs in cans on 02/28/2013 11:53:38 MST Print View

"And as to the cans-at-home and taps-when-out: All my favorite IPAs come in 22oz bottles and nothing else. Total Domination, Pelican, Elysian, Slayer, Hop Stoopid, Indica, Hop Czar, Vertical Epic. Although Brew Free or Die comes in cans."

Dale actually said taps in town and cans away from home. I concur.

Some of my favorites come in bottles but some in cans. The bottles stay home. But in cans:

Deviant Dale's, Gubna, Modus Hoperandi, Hop Abomination, Happy Camper, Avery's IPA. That's a pretty good variety when you want to take one or two along.

Thanks for the list. I'll look for them and give them a try if I can find them here.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: IPAs in cans on 02/28/2013 12:04:40 MST Print View

Randy has good taste in beer.

Just tried the Oskar Blues G'knight Imperial Red Ale. That's some serious stuff, and dang good.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Re: IPAs in cans on 02/28/2013 13:55:23 MST Print View

I just about spit when I read the "long term relationship" thing. Much truth in the humor.

Deviant Dale's is excellent both on draft and in cans. Mmmmm.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
Dales on 02/28/2013 15:54:54 MST Print View

Dales does have an excellent can selection, I don't know about where you guys are, but here they are pretty darn expensive.

The local gear shop, Backcountry Essentials, has a pretty good can line-up of beers. Fremont, Big Swell, Red Head (Super Amazing!), Ranger, Sierra Nevada (including Celebration and Torpedo).

I swear Fat Tire tastes different, even better, out of can...?

Didn't mean to turn this into a beer thread. Energy follows passion, and all that (haha).

Ron White
(roddyrat) - M

Locale: Southern Indiana
Deffinately not UL everyday! on 02/28/2013 18:31:19 MST Print View

Everyday I carry the following:

Swiss Champ (Large swiss army knife in belt sheath with a sharpening steel)
CRKT Doolittle lock blade knife
Streamlight ProTac-2L (double 123 LED light)
Photon light on key chain
Micro firesteel on key chain
3' measuring tape
Handkerchief
Wallet
Iphone 4S/Lifeproof Case (with maps of area in GIGA GPS)
Eye Drops
Chapstick
Watch w/compass
Kimber Combat Carry 1911 in 45ACP (when not at work)
Spare Mag (Wilson combat)

I have really taken the Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared" to heart. Many of these items (or thier predecessors) have been carried since high school (20+ yrs).

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Deffinately not UL everyday! on 02/28/2013 19:33:10 MST Print View

Ron, that's a lot of stuff!

I ask this in all seriousness, and honestly, without snark: do you really use all of that enough to warrant carrying it all?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Deffinately not UL everyday! on 02/28/2013 19:51:05 MST Print View

I need a big bag for my sanity,

Ron White
(roddyrat) - M

Locale: Southern Indiana
Re: Re: Deffinately not UL everyday! on 03/01/2013 08:13:45 MST Print View

Yes, with the exception of the gun (which I hope to never have to use), maybe not daily but often enough to justify it. I just can't stand to need something and not have it handy. Surprisingly when I go backpacking most of these items stay home, or back at the car. The ones that do go are usually replaced by something lighter.

JJ Willcoxon
(H2Oboy) - M

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Re: Deffinately not UL everyday! on 06/05/2013 12:02:40 MDT Print View

I carry a little bitty, tiny sack for what's left of my sanity.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Nick's List on 06/05/2013 14:05:27 MDT Print View

1. Key chain with car key, house key, car remote, and Photon II micro light.

2. Money clip with space for 5 cards and license.

3. iPhone.

4. Sunny disposition and attitude.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
EDC Beers on 06/05/2013 15:32:57 MDT Print View

Randy said, "when you want to take one or two along." That sounds a bit like taking one or two potato chips along. Look forward to trying some of the recommendations, though.

My EDC consists of: Laptop to/from work only. at all times: keys, wallet (money clip and card holder), iPhone, space pen.

Like Robert Hunter said, "I can tell your future; look what's in your hand." So true; so often. Should trade the 'puter and pen in for my LT4s. Then I'd be gettin' somewhere.