Forum Index » GEAR » Everyday Carry

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 14:45:47 MST Print View

I hate stuff in my pockets. I tote around a small bag (aka man purse, euopean shoulder bag,etc..) with my wallet , keys, flashlight, poo bags, etc...

Oh yeah, sometimes a phone. Been thinking of getting rid of it though.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 14:46:38 MST Print View

Jake D:
Are you paranoid for wearing your seatbelt? Or maybe you're compensating for something?

Although I partially agree with you about large knives. However, I think it's mostly due to the fact that they don't know how to use a small knife to accomplish heavier tasks, and use the knife unnecessarily just because they like to use a knife. Just my opinion of course.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 14:59:41 MST Print View

I honestly don't see the need for most people to conceal or open carry a firearm in most areas. Most probably think that they will have time or the skill to actually use it when faced with an attacker or something and i highly doubt it. I saw some statistic that even police officers miss most of the time when faced with a suspect in a gunfight.. if someone who is required to hold a higher qualification is that inaccurate then I would be more afraid of innocent people being hurt rather than a bad guy.

I don't think carrying a gun is anything like wearing a seatbelt. Being in a car accident is FAR more likely than needing to draw a weapon on someone. It is also federal law to do so.

I think of EDC as every day.. not just while backpacking.. I don't think most people need to baton wood or skin a moose on a daily basis that need a Ka-bar 8" blade on their belt.

Also this should be moved to Chaff since it has nothing to do with backpacking

Edited by JakeDatc on 02/24/2013 15:01:39 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: yikes on 02/24/2013 15:05:52 MST Print View

"Even the most motivated drinker only makes the "teeth" mistake once."

Hardly. Of course, my teeth have paid the price, but I've certainly opened a beer with my teeth far more than once.

I'm also not exceptionally bright. Goes hand in hand.....

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:06:27 MST Print View

"keys, flashlight, poo bags, etc..."

Wow, hard core. I prefer to use public toilets.....

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:09:06 MST Print View

can be weaponized.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 15:09:44 MST Print View

Knives are limited in their uses outside of the woods. Multi tools can be very useful.

Edited by justin_baker on 02/24/2013 15:10:26 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:10:16 MST Print View

"can be weaponized."

You mean, beat the shit into someone?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
EDC in Car on 02/24/2013 15:16:28 MST Print View

On my person, everyday:
Wallet and keys and phone, though the wallet and phone typically stay in the car when I'm at work. I don't like carrying around a bunch of crap around.

But my car is another story.
I don't have a bunch of stuff in it out of "preparedness" (paranoia?), but out of laziness.
At any given time during the week I usually have all my spearfishing/freediving gear, a surfboard, a plastic box with wetsuit/booties/hood, towels, swim shorts/goggles, running shoes, a skateboard, first aid kit, headlamps/flashlights, knife, basic tools (pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc), 3 gallon water jug(aka shower), hats, jackets, dirty socks from the last run/hike, you name it.

During the week especially, my car is my second home. Last week I surfed 4/5 weekday mornings and swam laps at the local pool on the other. On those days I shower at my car (hot 3 gallon jug), change for work, store wetsuits, eat breakfast in the car, etc. So it's a big mess...but I guess I'd be prepared for just about anything because of it.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:23:28 MST Print View

"can be weaponized."

You mean, beat the shit into someone?
------------

Think about it Doug. How would you react to a 6' 2" guy screaming nonsense, waving his arms, and wielding bags of poo?

Scare the bejesus out of anyone! I hear that's what they teach cops in self-defense courses in Detroit.

Andrew U
(anarkhos) - M

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming
Paranoia on 02/24/2013 15:23:51 MST Print View

In the immortal words of Nirvana and Kurt Cobain...

"Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you."

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:26:37 MST Print View

"Scare the bejesus out of anyone!"

LOL! Good point, Travis.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Do I carry that every day? on 02/24/2013 15:37:31 MST Print View

Nah, of course not.

My EDC is usually nothing (Sh!t, forgot my phone!).

I do keep all of that in a hip pack so that if I go biking or hiking or camping, I can grab that for all the little stuff that I don't want to transfer from pack to pack, etc.

Edit: Also, damnit. I mentioned firearms on BPL. This thread is going to 6 pages tonight...

My opinion on firearms is that it's none of my business what other people decide to do, and I haven't got time to consider all the myriads of ways I could die this week. Unstable people with firearms are treated the same way falling pianos are in my book.

Edited by mdilthey on 02/24/2013 15:41:04 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:56:15 MST Print View

"Think about it Doug. How would you react to a 6"2" guy screaming nonsense, waving his arms, and wielding bags of poo?"

I should think just wielding bags of poo is enough!

Edited by ben2world on 02/24/2013 15:58:23 MST.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 17:23:05 MST Print View

Jake:

Agreed, this should probably be in Chaff. I don't think many people here backpack everyday...

That being said, I can't resist beating this horse, it's just so dead. How can I not? haha.

For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume you don't know this, but most states require applicants to complete and pass training before obtaining their carry permit. Also, to contrast police officers and armed citizens, most citizens carry because they choose to and are therefore more likely to seek out additional training, and at the least spend more time at the range. On the other hand, carrying a firearm is a job requirement for the police and a lot of them do only the minimum required for training and recertification. Heck, there is even a picture floating around of an officer using her AR-15 without a magazine... So, I don't think that police officer accuracy necessarily directly correlates to civilian accuracy, when you consider the above.
Also, the "higher qualification" that police obtain, has a lot to do with legal issues, and things related to actively pursuing and subduing a suspect. They receive more training, because there is more involved in what they do. As far as the actual firearm training, there isn't much different from what carry applicants receive. A citizen isn't expected, and shouldn't pursue a criminal. There isn't much you need to teach other than how to operate a firearm, how to shoot it accurately, how to assess the situation, target, and background, and what legal repercussions are involved.

Regarding your fear for innocent bystanders, consider this. Since shall issue permits started to become state law starting in 1986 with florida, and today, all 50 states having some way of obtaining a permit, when was the last time you heard a news story involving innocent bystanders being hit by stray bullets from an armed citizen?
You may also be interested in the Clackamas mall shooting, where the gunman was stopped by an armed citizen, that didn't even fire a shot. He saw someone running into the line of fire behind the gunman and held his fire. But at seeing armed resistance, the shooter turned his gun on himself. So, training works, even if it isn't as "high of a qualification" as police...
You might call Mr. Meli "paranoid", but I would call him "alive", and a "hero."

I will also agree with you that you are more likely to get into a car accident, but does likeliness of something happen negate the need to take measures to protect yourself from it? There are many accounts of guns saving peoples lives. Would you call all of them paranoid? I'd rather be paranoid and alive, then confident and dead, or a rape victim.
And yes, the need to baton a tree in downtown is a highly improbable situation. Heck, it's improbable in the woods even! haha.

OK, i've said my piece, I'll shut up now. Jake, if you want to continue the firearm dialogue, let's do it with PMs. I think we hijacked this thread enough as it is, lol.

Edited by stingray4540 on 02/24/2013 17:31:57 MST.

Andrew U
(anarkhos) - M

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming
Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 17:39:47 MST Print View

Quick correction:

Not all 50 states have a permit system for concealing a firearm. In Wyoming, you don't need a permit, its considered a basic right for gun owners to conceal.

Yet another reason why Wyoming is better than [insert your state's name here]. :)

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Opener on 02/24/2013 17:49:09 MST Print View

I used to carry an opener. But haven't you read the Chaff "Beer in the Can" thread? Bottles never leave the house anymore.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 17:49:56 MST Print View

Not sure it deserves a list. Appropriate key, smartphone and wallet, but the later I've been leaving behind more and more as the apps on my smartphone debit my coffee, etc.. Still need an urban pack or casual briefcase if bringing my iPad for coffee though, and that breaks the rules.

Some go with knives, cell phones, tools in holsters on the belt .. guess if one needs them regularly.

Eventually you will end up with this ...

Utility belt

http://www.cracked.com/funny-4220-batman-utility-belt/

Though a BPL utility belt in cuben fiber might be an interesting project (one step down from the "fanny" pack).

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 19:23:39 MST Print View

>Though a BPL utility belt in cuben fiber might be an interesting project (one step down from the "fanny" pack).

Some packs have swappable hipbelts. You could take your utility hipbelt off when you get to camp and day hike with it!

Batman! Na na na na na na na na na Batman!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 20:34:25 MST Print View

This game has been played on many forums, not to mention edcforum.com.

I carry a "survival keychain" when hiking and a very similar one every day. I have eliminated the firesteel and whistle from my city version, so my EDC load is a Fenix E01AAA LED flashlight, a spy capsule with medication and a Victorinox Classic knife. I also carry a Benchmade Mini Pika pocket knife, my household keyring and a small wallet.

I got around to adopting an iPhone last year, which upset my pocket load, but it is an incredibly handy daily tool. I just finished a 2000 mile road trip and it enriched the experience immeasurably. If the Big Quake comes, it won't be much more than digital compass and flashlight, but as long as the network stays up, it is a 6oz toolbox.

I've been using a small Timbuk2 bag when I want to take a camera, book, water bottle and other accessories. I think a shoulder bag makes it easier to navigate in crowded mass transit and streets than using a small backpack. Find a simple soft bag that will wrap around you rather than a still padded bag that will bounce and otherwise get in the way. Manhattan Portage has a great line of bags that fit UL principles.