Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Everyday Carry
Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Everyday Carry on 02/23/2013 22:01:41 MST Print View

There's a group of people on Reddit.com who post what they carry every day. Kind of like the civillian's gear-on-living-room-floor picture. There's even a few thru-hikers on there.

Here's mine:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EDC/comments/19482j/23m_writer_hiking_guide/

Here's the rest:

www.reddit.com/r/edc/

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Everyday Carry on 02/23/2013 22:06:44 MST Print View

I'll play:

Benchmade 940
Wallet
Iphone

I wear an OR pullover often, does that count?

...Not really worth a spreadsheet.

A lot of other people make me nervous these days.

EDIT: After reading the following posts about guns I would like to state that I have no problems with guns. I do not own a gun, but I work at a gun store. How you like them apples?

The scary part to me is that people feel the need to carry fire starter and decoder rings and stuff ALL THE TIME? in the city? Thats creepy to me? Fear much?

Edited by WoodenWizard on 02/24/2013 09:22:04 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Truth on 02/23/2013 22:27:28 MST Print View

A lot of people from this group seem to carry firearms...

By "this group" I mean the one I just linked.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 03:03:07 MST Print View

edc talk is a preparedness topic. i carry keys and a wallet (smile).

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
EDC in the context of Backpacking on 02/24/2013 07:58:30 MST Print View

If I've learned nothing else, it's that no one on BPL will change their position on firearms based on anything written here.

I'm probably unprepared in an EDC sense compared to other people. I carry the smallest swiss army knife I could find on my keychain, I have a lanyard on my keychain which has 1.5 feet of nylon, my work phone which has a flashlight, and my iphone. (I'm not getting into firearms here as it's pointless).

I'm in the process of improving my Backpacking EDC which would be items that are always on my person in the unlikely event that I become separated from my backpack.

My tentative list (under development)

*on a lanyard in my pocket and attached to belt loop with cord
Small swiss army knife
Nano Striker
small led flashlight (haven't decided which one yet but don't want it to be bulky and it must be weather resistant; the smaller the better; suggestions welcome)

*In a small nylon bag (decommissioned military sewing kit; don't like carrying an Altoid can in my front pocket)
Fish hooks
split shot
fishing line
a few storm matches sealed in plastic
A 2" piece of slurpie straw sealed with vaseline/cottonball
Needle
Thread
Bic lighter
Razor blade
Gallon ziplock for water (checked often for wear and tear)
3 chlorine dioxide tablets

*worn
Paracord bracelet (use a no-name braid which unravels quickly) with fastex buckle/whistle

Suggestions to improve this kit always welcome.

I demand redundancy for my knife (razor) and firesteel (matches, lighter, and vaseline cotton).

I carry a variety of other knives dependent on the trip but none of them are necessarily backpacking EDC. I carry Esbit and other survival items in my ruck.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 02/24/2013 08:26:44 MST.

Andrew U
(anarkhos) - M

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming
EDC Flashlight on 02/24/2013 08:10:49 MST Print View

Check out www.foursevens.com for flashlights, best quality and value. Absolutely love mine, the Mini series and Preon series would be the best bet for ultra small, ultra durable LED lights.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Locale: South Bay
Re: EDC in the context of Backpacking on 02/24/2013 08:45:53 MST Print View

"*on a lanyard in my pocket and attached to belt loop with cord
Small swiss army knife
Nano Striker
small led flashlight (suggestions welcome)"
-Ian

You might like my right back pocket EDC then:
Nite ize carabiner bottle opener attached to my key ring via 6 feet of paracord in a king cobra stitch. On the key ring I have a 4sevens Preon and a peanut lighter. This clips to a belt loop and hangs into my back pocket.

I love the Preon, great little aaa light. More light than I ever need, and it gets TONS of use.

Yeah EDC topics usually accompany people who are into preparedness, so lots of guns, knives and paracord.
Personally I only EDC what gets a lot of use on a regular basis. For me, this includes:

Front pockets:
my phone, wallet, pen, Chapstick.

R. Back pocket: already outlined above^

L. Back pocket:
3'x3' silk bandana, 3" case(bone handle slip joint knife, never saw the need for the tactical stuff).

Although I make and sell "survival" bracelets, I don't see much use for them in an actual survival situation. I think they are more hype than anything. But, my keychain fob, did come handy when I forgot the rope for the Xmas tree one year. And hey, paracord bracelets are a cool way to wear your team colors :)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Preon 0 on 02/24/2013 08:46:54 MST Print View

Thanks for that suggestion Andrew; I wasn't familiar with their product.

I like the specs on the Preon 0 so I'm going to order one and check it out. I carry a Surefire tactical flashlight at work. It appears that four sevens have some flashlights which compare well to my Surefire that I need to check out.

I have a light which is a $2 version of the Photon micro-light but I'm always hitting the button so I can't count on the battery for when I'll need it.

I like the specs on the Preon 0 so I'm going to order one along with a Micro-light for comparison.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: EDC in the context of Backpacking on 02/24/2013 08:55:41 MST Print View

Nice suggestions Nick!

I used 550 cord and 100mph tape all of the time in the military. I still use the tape (albeit to a lesser degree) but admittedly almost never use the 550 cord. I've stopped carrying 550 cord in my ruck as there are lighter/less bulky options available but I'm a creature of habit so I don't have it in me to say goodbye to an old friend.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 02/24/2013 08:56:28 MST.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 09:26:48 MST Print View

Do people (on the reddit thread) really carry all those things with them all the time? Seems like overkill for most of them. To put it mildly. Mine:

Always:
Carabiner with keys, SOLED
Wallet
Phone (clock, alarm, calendar, mp3)
Fisher Bullet pen

As needed:
Notepad
Eyedrops
Bottle opener (on 'biner)
Chapstick
Eyeglass cloth
Sunglasses

Considering adding:
Pocketknife
Mini Bic
Leatherman PS

I do keep a lot of stuff in my car (which some people posted), but that's not EDC in my opinion. EDC is something you keep with you b/c you expect to use it. A large proportion of a car kit is for emergencies.

Car things considered EDC:
Sunglasses
Writing implements
Utility knife
Paper
Nail clippers
Chapstick
DC charger
Leather gloves
Rags
Wipies
Maps
Tote bags

Car things used occasionally:
Ropes, gumbies, straps
Rugs, blankets, tarps
Flashlight
Sunscreen
WD40
Umbrella

Car things for emergencies:
Oil
Washer fluid
Antifreeze
Water
Food
Hazard flag
Jumper cables
Shovel
First aid kit
Poncho
Toolkit

Matt Weaver
(norcalweaver) - F

Locale: PacNW
KISS on 02/24/2013 11:39:34 MST Print View

EDC

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

you call that prepared? on 02/24/2013 13:41:35 MST Print View

How does nobody carry a bottle opener? If you are going to be prepared for anything, it might as well include beer.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: you call that prepared? on 02/24/2013 13:44:28 MST Print View

A motivated beer drinker needs no opener.

Edited by kthompson on 02/24/2013 14:34:39 MST.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

yikes on 02/24/2013 14:20:03 MST Print View

Even the most motivated drinker only makes the "teeth" mistake once.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 14:24:01 MST Print View

Max you carry that every day? or just while backpacking? a lot seems unnecessary and overkill.

i'm with the keys and phone crowd. my keychain has a LED mini light and a mini bank card on it.

car has a bunch of stuff that comes in handy while in the car or while car camping but i dont consider that EDC.

i find people who EDC guns and large knives to be paranoid or compensating for something..

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: yikes on 02/24/2013 14:24:45 MST Print View

Ah, but the skillful beer drinker needs no teeth, nor an opener. Resourceful, inventive, and ever-vigilant, he will find a way.

I once opened a bottle of wine with a pen and a shoe.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: yikes on 02/24/2013 14:25:20 MST Print View

bic lighter,keys, someone else's countertop, by the keg.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Material Much? on 02/24/2013 14:29:04 MST Print View

Each to his or her own, of course... But for those of us who are urbanites or suburbanites -- do we really need to carry all that stuff as a matter of routine? Let's see, what do I carry?

- wallet (cash, cards, ID, medical insurance card)
- keys

That's it, really. Sometimes, I'll take my cell phone, but not always.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 14:29:59 MST Print View

This time of year...a toque and fleece mitts.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
EDC in Car on 02/24/2013 14:38:14 MST Print View

Pockets
-Keys
-Wallet
-Knife
-Phone

These get me out of most situations. If I need other stuff my car is usually close by. I keep my more serious tools like Leathermens etc. in there.

One idea I need to check on is a basic first aid kit for the car. My chance of being injured or helping an injured person is probably greatest on the road. I do keep a CPR mouth guard in the car. I normally keep bear spray in the car too. Handy for stray dogs etc. I know its not meant for humans but I'm in Texas and I imagine most cops/judges would be okay with me spraying an assailant rather then shooting him.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 14:45:47 MST Print View

I hate stuff in my pockets. I tote around a small bag (aka man purse, euopean shoulder bag,etc..) with my wallet , keys, flashlight, poo bags, etc...

Oh yeah, sometimes a phone. Been thinking of getting rid of it though.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Re: Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 14:46:38 MST Print View

Jake D:
Are you paranoid for wearing your seatbelt? Or maybe you're compensating for something?

Although I partially agree with you about large knives. However, I think it's mostly due to the fact that they don't know how to use a small knife to accomplish heavier tasks, and use the knife unnecessarily just because they like to use a knife. Just my opinion of course.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 14:59:41 MST Print View

I honestly don't see the need for most people to conceal or open carry a firearm in most areas. Most probably think that they will have time or the skill to actually use it when faced with an attacker or something and i highly doubt it. I saw some statistic that even police officers miss most of the time when faced with a suspect in a gunfight.. if someone who is required to hold a higher qualification is that inaccurate then I would be more afraid of innocent people being hurt rather than a bad guy.

I don't think carrying a gun is anything like wearing a seatbelt. Being in a car accident is FAR more likely than needing to draw a weapon on someone. It is also federal law to do so.

I think of EDC as every day.. not just while backpacking.. I don't think most people need to baton wood or skin a moose on a daily basis that need a Ka-bar 8" blade on their belt.

Also this should be moved to Chaff since it has nothing to do with backpacking

Edited by JakeDatc on 02/24/2013 15:01:39 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: yikes on 02/24/2013 15:05:52 MST Print View

"Even the most motivated drinker only makes the "teeth" mistake once."

Hardly. Of course, my teeth have paid the price, but I've certainly opened a beer with my teeth far more than once.

I'm also not exceptionally bright. Goes hand in hand.....

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:06:27 MST Print View

"keys, flashlight, poo bags, etc..."

Wow, hard core. I prefer to use public toilets.....

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:09:06 MST Print View

can be weaponized.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 15:09:44 MST Print View

Knives are limited in their uses outside of the woods. Multi tools can be very useful.

Edited by justin_baker on 02/24/2013 15:10:26 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:10:16 MST Print View

"can be weaponized."

You mean, beat the shit into someone?

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
EDC in Car on 02/24/2013 15:16:28 MST Print View

On my person, everyday:
Wallet and keys and phone, though the wallet and phone typically stay in the car when I'm at work. I don't like carrying around a bunch of crap around.

But my car is another story.
I don't have a bunch of stuff in it out of "preparedness" (paranoia?), but out of laziness.
At any given time during the week I usually have all my spearfishing/freediving gear, a surfboard, a plastic box with wetsuit/booties/hood, towels, swim shorts/goggles, running shoes, a skateboard, first aid kit, headlamps/flashlights, knife, basic tools (pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc), 3 gallon water jug(aka shower), hats, jackets, dirty socks from the last run/hike, you name it.

During the week especially, my car is my second home. Last week I surfed 4/5 weekday mornings and swam laps at the local pool on the other. On those days I shower at my car (hot 3 gallon jug), change for work, store wetsuits, eat breakfast in the car, etc. So it's a big mess...but I guess I'd be prepared for just about anything because of it.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:23:28 MST Print View

"can be weaponized."

You mean, beat the shit into someone?
------------

Think about it Doug. How would you react to a 6' 2" guy screaming nonsense, waving his arms, and wielding bags of poo?

Scare the bejesus out of anyone! I hear that's what they teach cops in self-defense courses in Detroit.

Andrew U
(anarkhos) - M

Paranoia on 02/24/2013 15:23:51 MST Print View

In the immortal words of Nirvana and Kurt Cobain...

"Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you."

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:26:37 MST Print View

"Scare the bejesus out of anyone!"

LOL! Good point, Travis.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Do I carry that every day? on 02/24/2013 15:37:31 MST Print View

Nah, of course not.

My EDC is usually nothing (Sh!t, forgot my phone!).

I do keep all of that in a hip pack so that if I go biking or hiking or camping, I can grab that for all the little stuff that I don't want to transfer from pack to pack, etc.

Edit: Also, damnit. I mentioned firearms on BPL. This thread is going to 6 pages tonight...

My opinion on firearms is that it's none of my business what other people decide to do, and I haven't got time to consider all the myriads of ways I could die this week. Unstable people with firearms are treated the same way falling pianos are in my book.

Edited by mdilthey on 02/24/2013 15:41:04 MST.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Material Much? on 02/24/2013 15:56:15 MST Print View

"Think about it Doug. How would you react to a 6"2" guy screaming nonsense, waving his arms, and wielding bags of poo?"

I should think just wielding bags of poo is enough!

Edited by ben2world on 02/24/2013 15:58:23 MST.

Nick Larsen
(stingray4540) - F

Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 17:23:05 MST Print View

Jake:

Agreed, this should probably be in Chaff. I don't think many people here backpack everyday...

That being said, I can't resist beating this horse, it's just so dead. How can I not? haha.

For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume you don't know this, but most states require applicants to complete and pass training before obtaining their carry permit. Also, to contrast police officers and armed citizens, most citizens carry because they choose to and are therefore more likely to seek out additional training, and at the least spend more time at the range. On the other hand, carrying a firearm is a job requirement for the police and a lot of them do only the minimum required for training and recertification. Heck, there is even a picture floating around of an officer using her AR-15 without a magazine... So, I don't think that police officer accuracy necessarily directly correlates to civilian accuracy, when you consider the above.
Also, the "higher qualification" that police obtain, has a lot to do with legal issues, and things related to actively pursuing and subduing a suspect. They receive more training, because there is more involved in what they do. As far as the actual firearm training, there isn't much different from what carry applicants receive. A citizen isn't expected, and shouldn't pursue a criminal. There isn't much you need to teach other than how to operate a firearm, how to shoot it accurately, how to assess the situation, target, and background, and what legal repercussions are involved.

Regarding your fear for innocent bystanders, consider this. Since shall issue permits started to become state law starting in 1986 with florida, and today, all 50 states having some way of obtaining a permit, when was the last time you heard a news story involving innocent bystanders being hit by stray bullets from an armed citizen?
You may also be interested in the Clackamas mall shooting, where the gunman was stopped by an armed citizen, that didn't even fire a shot. He saw someone running into the line of fire behind the gunman and held his fire. But at seeing armed resistance, the shooter turned his gun on himself. So, training works, even if it isn't as "high of a qualification" as police...
You might call Mr. Meli "paranoid", but I would call him "alive", and a "hero."

I will also agree with you that you are more likely to get into a car accident, but does likeliness of something happen negate the need to take measures to protect yourself from it? There are many accounts of guns saving peoples lives. Would you call all of them paranoid? I'd rather be paranoid and alive, then confident and dead, or a rape victim.
And yes, the need to baton a tree in downtown is a highly improbable situation. Heck, it's improbable in the woods even! haha.

OK, i've said my piece, I'll shut up now. Jake, if you want to continue the firearm dialogue, let's do it with PMs. I think we hijacked this thread enough as it is, lol.

Edited by stingray4540 on 02/24/2013 17:31:57 MST.

Andrew U
(anarkhos) - M

Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 17:39:47 MST Print View

Quick correction:

Not all 50 states have a permit system for concealing a firearm. In Wyoming, you don't need a permit, its considered a basic right for gun owners to conceal.

Yet another reason why Wyoming is better than [insert your state's name here]. :)

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Opener on 02/24/2013 17:49:09 MST Print View

I used to carry an opener. But haven't you read the Chaff "Beer in the Can" thread? Bottles never leave the house anymore.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 17:49:56 MST Print View

Not sure it deserves a list. Appropriate key, smartphone and wallet, but the later I've been leaving behind more and more as the apps on my smartphone debit my coffee, etc.. Still need an urban pack or casual briefcase if bringing my iPad for coffee though, and that breaks the rules.

Some go with knives, cell phones, tools in holsters on the belt .. guess if one needs them regularly.

Eventually you will end up with this ...

Utility belt

http://www.cracked.com/funny-4220-batman-utility-belt/

Though a BPL utility belt in cuben fiber might be an interesting project (one step down from the "fanny" pack).

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 19:23:39 MST Print View

>Though a BPL utility belt in cuben fiber might be an interesting project (one step down from the "fanny" pack).

Some packs have swappable hipbelts. You could take your utility hipbelt off when you get to camp and day hike with it!

Batman! Na na na na na na na na na Batman!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 20:34:25 MST Print View

This game has been played on many forums, not to mention edcforum.com.

I carry a "survival keychain" when hiking and a very similar one every day. I have eliminated the firesteel and whistle from my city version, so my EDC load is a Fenix E01AAA LED flashlight, a spy capsule with medication and a Victorinox Classic knife. I also carry a Benchmade Mini Pika pocket knife, my household keyring and a small wallet.

I got around to adopting an iPhone last year, which upset my pocket load, but it is an incredibly handy daily tool. I just finished a 2000 mile road trip and it enriched the experience immeasurably. If the Big Quake comes, it won't be much more than digital compass and flashlight, but as long as the network stays up, it is a 6oz toolbox.

I've been using a small Timbuk2 bag when I want to take a camera, book, water bottle and other accessories. I think a shoulder bag makes it easier to navigate in crowded mass transit and streets than using a small backpack. Find a simple soft bag that will wrap around you rather than a still padded bag that will bounce and otherwise get in the way. Manhattan Portage has a great line of bags that fit UL principles.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Everyday Carry / Backpacking on 02/24/2013 20:54:06 MST Print View

"If the Big Quake comes, it won't be much more than digital compass and flashlight, but as long as the network stays up, it is a 6oz toolbox."

I'm not sure if you're familiar with Gaia GPS ap for the iPhone or not. If so then please disregard. I recently downloaded it and so far I've been pretty impressed. I went snowshoeing this weekend and was hoping to put it through its paces but unfortunately I wasn't completely outside of cell phone coverage.

With just one bar and some tree coverage, it plotted my location and elevation almost instantaneously. Supposedly it will work with no cell phone tower coverage at all. I'm not really into GPSs so this is a good fit for me investment-wise. I'm going to use it on the Wonderland Trail this summer for a week w/o recharging to see how much I life I can milk out of this phone in airplane mode.

My iPhone is:

GPS/altimeter
Backup compass/inclinometer
E-reader
Journal (use voice memos)
I email maps to myself and save them as photos (backup)
Alarm Clock for when I want to hit the trail by sunrise/never found a watch that will wake me up
Camera
It's waterproof in its lifeproof case

I don't rely on it but it's a nice tool and backup for other gear.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 02/24/2013 21:07:22 MST Print View

>"Though a BPL utility belt in cuben fiber might be an interesting project (one step down from the "fanny" pack)."

Thank you for calling it a step down :D

Zimmerhip

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Fanny pack on 02/25/2013 08:13:37 MST Print View

I always have to laugh when I see Fanny pack mentioned as back home it means something else.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

GB on 02/25/2013 08:24:30 MST Print View

I hope you mean Great Britain, because then, I know exactly what you mean.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: 40°N,-105°W-ish
Fanny, he said fanny. Heh, henh, henh, henh. on 02/25/2013 08:44:19 MST Print View

All sorts of linguistic differences to trip us up and/or give a wry smile. I'll never forget the first time I heard an American guy talk about his suspenders ... made of eelskin. Fresh off the boat, my reaction was "That must chafe, Mr. Cross Dresser."

On the flip side, I very quickly learned not to ask to borrow someone's rubber...

Edited by lotuseater on 02/25/2013 08:45:16 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: GB on 02/25/2013 08:55:52 MST Print View

I mean Ireland but it has same meaning in the UK.

Edited by stephenm on 02/25/2013 09:00:54 MST.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Fanny Pack on 02/25/2013 09:08:29 MST Print View

Well one thing we can all agree on is that owning, wearing, using, condoning a fanny pack under any name or circumstance communicates to the world that the wearer is not interested in meeting a woman at any time in the near future.

FWIW I have some Darth Vader T-shirts and parachute pants if you want to round out your wardrobe.

EDIT I kid because I care.

Edited by IDBLOOM on 02/25/2013 09:22:14 MST.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
edc on 02/25/2013 21:07:37 MST Print View

almost always a light, knife, wallet and phone

Photobucket

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Re: Fanny Pack on 02/25/2013 21:44:56 MST Print View

Ian,

I embrace your comment as fact. Excuse me while I put on my neon sunglasses, as shown in my EDC list, and proceed to keep on doin' things the way I've done them for years. :D

Aww Yeah

Aww yeah!
-Max

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Re: Re: Fanny Pack on 02/25/2013 22:01:11 MST Print View

All joking aside that is a nice set up. I'm looking at something a little different which is a Zpacks Multi Pack slightly modified for fishing like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwU3ZIC04po

My gear is pretty bland so I'm going to order a pair of the most obnoxious Dirty Girls I can find to keep everyone on their toes.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: edc on 02/26/2013 17:09:39 MST Print View

Yeah, I'm with Mike. Wallet, iPhone, small Gerber folding knife, small LED flashlight in my pockets. The important stuff goes in my "man bag" -- a couple of cameras, various lenses, Macbook Air, all the little accessories. Sometimes called a "camera bag," I suppose. Hey, gotta make a living.

Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Locale: California
Oh yeah. on 02/26/2013 22:27:36 MST Print View

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Re: you call that prepared? on 02/26/2013 22:35:38 MST Print View

"How does nobody carry a bottle opener? If you are going to be prepared for anything, it might as well include beer."

http://lifehacker.com/243642/video-demonstration--open-a-beer-bottle-with-a-piece-of-paper

I had to use this technique once, well "had to" is maybe strong language... I used this technique once to try to impress a friend when we were having a hell of a time figuring out what to open our beers with.

We later realized they were twist off.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: you call that prepared? on 02/27/2013 11:58:51 MST Print View

"We later realized they were twist off."

When did you finally realize the condoms weren't?

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: you call that prepared? on 02/27/2013 12:19:38 MST Print View

Any hard edge will do-- hook the cap on the edge and give top a good pop with your palm. Not good for furniture.

But who drinks bottled beer in the city or hiking? Tap in town and cans away from home.

I saw a mention of using the plate on a hotel room door security lock. Genius that..... or desperation :)

But this is all what Swiss Army knives are about. You get the bottle opener and the can opener too, not to mention a corkscrew. If it really hits the fan, I want an SAK or my Leatherman Wave.

A can opener is a great urban survival tool. A week after the Big Quake comes, you will be getting good at opening chili cans.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: edc on 02/27/2013 13:01:43 MST Print View

Since Christchurch had our Big Quake, I have amended my EDC to include cash. When the power goes down, the only means of procuring goods is by cash or barter (plus the kindness of strangers and the likes of the Red Cross). I also learned that a cell phone is pretty useless in this situation for communication, as a) the lines are over-loaded, and b) the back-up power on cell towers is only a couple of hours. A landline or sat phone (ham radio/walkie talkie??) are the only things that can keep you in contact with the outside world in such a case. And trust me, being able to contact friends and family who are far away is important. You can hardly imagine how much they fret when they hear a disaster has struck your area and they don't hear from you for days.

Other than that, a flashlight has got a lot of use in the last two years. I have used it many times when the power goes off during aftershocks. I always have a dynamo-solar radio/flashlight/cell phone charger near by too, but not literally on me at all times. It is good to know in advance which radio stations emergency services use to communicate on too. Likely your local stations will be off air, so find out which stations might be used in nearby areas for updated local information. I would say that, in a real disaster situation, keeping yourself informed of things like evacuation centers, sources of food, water, medical treatment etc may be more important than having a knife or e-reader handy.

But I also live in an area of the world where the weather is unpredictable. I always have a raincoat with me! Quite handy when you have a fire alarm at work and it is pouring outside...

But hey, this has nothing to do with backpacking.

Alex Wallace
(FeetFirst) - F

Locale: Northern California
na na na na... on 02/27/2013 13:18:34 MST Print View

T-Funk wrote "Batman! Na na na na na na na na na Batman!"

Interesting. I have one more "na" when I sing the song in my head.

Just kidding and now everyone is singing the Batman song while counting fingers.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: na na na na... on 02/27/2013 13:22:17 MST Print View

Before I scrolled down, I read your first line and wondered....so I started singing Batman and counting fingers. Then I scrolled down, read the last line you wrote, and almost peed my pants.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: na na na na... on 02/27/2013 13:37:33 MST Print View

But you're both wrong, there should be one less 'na.' Really.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Pre-planning on 02/27/2013 13:54:13 MST Print View

"Big Quake, . . . trust me, being able to contact friends and family who are far away is important."

Being a fifth-generation San Franciscan* and now living in Alaska, I get it. And have lived it - 1989 Loma Prieta quake and 1991 East-Bay Hills Fire). Here's the trick:

*California being sort of an upside-down New Zealand, climatically, geologically, and sharing myriad possible disasters.

Leave your list of contacts (who'd "need" to know) with several friends / family members far away. Then with a single message - a tweet, a Facebook post, an email or phone call - you can task someone to tell you mom, kids, whoever, that you are alright.

At least in the USA, after a natural disaster when the phone lines are tied up, they give priority to OUTGOING calls. The logic is that most people calling out with get through (and potentially activate such a calling tree) whereas people calling in repeatedly are less likely to connect (the local may not have power or be otherwise engaged).

My extended family (all Californians) understand this - the last time I used it was not for an earthquake, tsunami or fire; but when our son died. I just wasn't emotionally to make 30 phone calls to convey tragic news so I asked my cousin to help me out in that way.

Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: you call that prepared? on 02/27/2013 14:22:59 MST Print View

>"We later realized they were twist off."

>> When did you finally realize the condoms weren't?

Being in a long term committed relationship, I actually don't use condoms; since I don't have sex anymore. She also has me on a raw food diet, so I don't have beer either. Which that seems like an arbitrary restriction, because couldn't an unpasteurized beer be considered "raw"?

I'm going to go chew on a carrot and sulk.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Pre-planning on 02/27/2013 14:23:59 MST Print View

"Leave your list of contacts (who'd "need" to know) with several friends / family members far away. Then with a single message - a tweet, a Facebook post, an email or phone call - you can task someone to tell you mom, kids, whoever, that you are alright."

Agreed. Even so, it was over 4 days before I could get the first message out to my primary family contact in California. So the other change we've made is to get an old fashioned dial phone to plug into our landline. Our remote handset phone was useless when the power went off, even though it theoretically had a battery back-up. the phone was so old that the battery didn't hold a charge :( But the other issue is that emergency services asked us NOT to use our cell phones unless it was actually an emergency. Needed to keep the lines clear for them to use. Contacting family IS important, but not if it means that people who are in dire straits can't get through to emergency services.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Pre-planning on 02/27/2013 14:29:43 MST Print View

"So the other change we've made is to get an old fashioned dial phone to plug into our landline. Our remote handset phone was useless when the power went off, even though it theoretically had a battery back-up."

I have Verizon FIOS for phone and computer. When the power goes out, your phone goes out after the backup battery dies (app. 2-3 hours). So even if you have an old fashioned phone (which I do for power outages), it's useless after a bit because my phone line itself is dead.

Ah, technology.

Brandon =Þ
(Beeen) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: edc on 02/27/2013 14:35:38 MST Print View

> Since Christchurch had our Big Quake, I have amended my EDC to include cash

100% agree with that one, during the Loma Prieta earthquake in 89' we had just moved, and our pantry was almost empty... but luckily my father always kept $300 dollars cash for emergencies.

Today the problem I have, is keeping that kind of cash safe from myself. I think I'm going to try that trick where you freeze some bills in a plastic cup, so it isn't as easy to dip into when running a little short on funds.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

...? on 02/27/2013 14:39:24 MST Print View

"she has me on a raw food diet, so I don't have beer either"

No sex and no beer? Sounds like your should every-day-carry on with your life! :P

And as to the cans-at-home and taps-when-out: All my favorite IPAs come in 22oz bottles and nothing else. Total Domination, Pelican, Elysian, Slayer, Hop Stoopid, Indica, Hop Czar, Vertical Epic. Although Brew Free or Die comes in cans.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: edc on 02/27/2013 14:55:31 MST Print View

Cash is so old school. I carry gold brick.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: edc on 02/27/2013 15:45:44 MST Print View

"Today the problem I have, is keeping that kind of cash safe from myself. I think I'm going to try that trick where you freeze some bills in a plastic cup, so it isn't as easy to dip into when running a little short on funds."

Try a piggy bank. Can only access the dosh if you are willing to break the thing :) Makes you think twice.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: edc on 02/27/2013 15:52:20 MST Print View

"Cash is so old school. I carry gold brick."

Ron Paul would be very proud of you.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: edc on 02/27/2013 16:46:57 MST Print View

"Cash is so old school. I carry gold brick."

Hmm, I seem to recall some doomsday preppers like to stockpile booze as a bartering currency. I would rather have that than gold. Relieves pain, disinfects, and helps with sleep, boredom and anxiety.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

IPAs in cans on 02/28/2013 11:53:38 MST Print View

"And as to the cans-at-home and taps-when-out: All my favorite IPAs come in 22oz bottles and nothing else. Total Domination, Pelican, Elysian, Slayer, Hop Stoopid, Indica, Hop Czar, Vertical Epic. Although Brew Free or Die comes in cans."

Dale actually said taps in town and cans away from home. I concur.

Some of my favorites come in bottles but some in cans. The bottles stay home. But in cans:

Deviant Dale's, Gubna, Modus Hoperandi, Hop Abomination, Happy Camper, Avery's IPA. That's a pretty good variety when you want to take one or two along.

Thanks for the list. I'll look for them and give them a try if I can find them here.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: IPAs in cans on 02/28/2013 12:04:40 MST Print View

Randy has good taste in beer.

Just tried the Oskar Blues G'knight Imperial Red Ale. That's some serious stuff, and dang good.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Re: IPAs in cans on 02/28/2013 13:55:23 MST Print View

I just about spit when I read the "long term relationship" thing. Much truth in the humor.

Deviant Dale's is excellent both on draft and in cans. Mmmmm.

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Dales on 02/28/2013 15:54:54 MST Print View

Dales does have an excellent can selection, I don't know about where you guys are, but here they are pretty darn expensive.

The local gear shop, Backcountry Essentials, has a pretty good can line-up of beers. Fremont, Big Swell, Red Head (Super Amazing!), Ranger, Sierra Nevada (including Celebration and Torpedo).

I swear Fat Tire tastes different, even better, out of can...?

Didn't mean to turn this into a beer thread. Energy follows passion, and all that (haha).

Ron White
(roddyrat) - M

Locale: Southern Indiana
Deffinately not UL everyday! on 02/28/2013 18:31:19 MST Print View

Everyday I carry the following:

Swiss Champ (Large swiss army knife in belt sheath with a sharpening steel)
CRKT Doolittle lock blade knife
Streamlight ProTac-2L (double 123 LED light)
Photon light on key chain
Micro firesteel on key chain
3' measuring tape
Handkerchief
Wallet
Iphone 4S/Lifeproof Case (with maps of area in GIGA GPS)
Eye Drops
Chapstick
Watch w/compass
Kimber Combat Carry 1911 in 45ACP (when not at work)
Spare Mag (Wilson combat)

I have really taken the Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared" to heart. Many of these items (or thier predecessors) have been carried since high school (20+ yrs).

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Deffinately not UL everyday! on 02/28/2013 19:33:10 MST Print View

Ron, that's a lot of stuff!

I ask this in all seriousness, and honestly, without snark: do you really use all of that enough to warrant carrying it all?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Deffinately not UL everyday! on 02/28/2013 19:51:05 MST Print View

I need a big bag for my sanity,

Ron White
(roddyrat) - M

Locale: Southern Indiana
Re: Re: Deffinately not UL everyday! on 03/01/2013 08:13:45 MST Print View

Yes, with the exception of the gun (which I hope to never have to use), maybe not daily but often enough to justify it. I just can't stand to need something and not have it handy. Surprisingly when I go backpacking most of these items stay home, or back at the car. The ones that do go are usually replaced by something lighter.

JJ Willcoxon
(H2Oboy) - M

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Re: Deffinately not UL everyday! on 06/05/2013 12:02:40 MDT Print View

I carry a little bitty, tiny sack for what's left of my sanity.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Nick's List on 06/05/2013 14:05:27 MDT Print View

1. Key chain with car key, house key, car remote, and Photon II micro light.

2. Money clip with space for 5 cards and license.

3. iPhone.

4. Sunny disposition and attitude.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
EDC Beers on 06/05/2013 15:32:57 MDT Print View

Randy said, "when you want to take one or two along." That sounds a bit like taking one or two potato chips along. Look forward to trying some of the recommendations, though.

My EDC consists of: Laptop to/from work only. at all times: keys, wallet (money clip and card holder), iPhone, space pen.

Like Robert Hunter said, "I can tell your future; look what's in your hand." So true; so often. Should trade the 'puter and pen in for my LT4s. Then I'd be gettin' somewhere.

Joseph Morrison
(sjdm4211) - F

Locale: Smokies
Jeez on 06/05/2013 16:09:43 MDT Print View

Overcompensating? Sure I am not wealthy, an adonis or well endowed enough to be a porn star(and could honestly care less) but that has nothing to do with why I carry a handgun everyday. I really don't understand why you would think it does. Paranoid? No not really but I have always been of the mindset that it is better to have it and not need it than vice versa. Statements like that are offensive to some people but I am used to it and don't anger easily. Regardless I have never ridiculed a person for not carrying a firearm. I could care less.

As to comments about carrying a gun wont help when attacked. I have taken many courses from competent instructors/schools and I train as best I can. If someone wants to fight I wont be any mans foot stool and will damn sure do my very best to send them to the Lord.

EDC:

Glock 27/IWB holster
Spare Mag
Spyderco Delica
Streamlight Protac 1L
Zippo
Cigarettes
cheap sunglasses
cheap wrist watch
550 cord bracelet
Phone

Joseph

Edited by sjdm4211 on 06/05/2013 16:11:50 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
toughness. on 06/05/2013 16:32:51 MDT Print View

"If someone wants to fight I wont be any mans foot stool and will damn sure do my very best to send them to the Lord."

Isn't this a ultralight backpacking site? Not a "favorite tough guy quotes from 1880s westerns" site? (And the cigarettes will probably kill ya before those mystery bad guys will.)

And Max, if you want to start EDC threads, at least do it in Chaff where it belongs.

--B.R.--

Edited by DaveT on 06/05/2013 16:38:12 MDT.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Jeez on 06/05/2013 17:08:21 MDT Print View

This is pretty scary stuff.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Jeez on 06/05/2013 18:08:24 MDT Print View

I thought Joseph was well prepared until I noticed he only carries one spare magazine for his Glock.

Unless he's got two 17 round magazines. 34 bullets might cut it, but only if you're a highly skilled marksman and are only fixin' to send about half dozen people to be with the Lord.

Edited by xnomanx on 06/05/2013 18:12:12 MDT.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Re: Jeez on 06/05/2013 18:13:42 MDT Print View

Lord Stanley?

Tanner M
(Tan68)
Re: Re: Everyday Carry on 06/05/2013 21:32:46 MDT Print View

> edc talk is a preparedness topic. i carry keys and a wallet (smile).

It used to be all about always having a dime with you.
Emergency Dime for Call

I used to carry a small knife with my keys. I went through a period where I forgot to take it off the ring and tried to catch a flight. twice...

I wonder if some people carry things on the off chance they can whip something out of a pocket... When I travel, I will keep a Zebralight with me. I will admit I have felt pretty savvy to whip it out to help a B&B owner reset a fuse, a couple navigate an icy foot bridge, and three ladies inspect a fuse box in a dark alley.

I have it with me because sometimes it helps me to not trip or step in a puddle and it makes a nice constant light source for pictures of things within a few feet. I don't carry it with me at home.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Stanley on 06/06/2013 06:18:24 MDT Print View

I think the Stanley Cup is too large for everyday carry, do they make a smaller one?