Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
New 'Compact' Trailstar on 02/23/2013 13:30:02 MST Print View

Just arrived today.
Six foot baseline.
424g on my scales.
Just a teaser to annoy folk.
Hopefully photos tomorrow if the weather behaves.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: New 'Compact' Trailstar on 02/23/2013 15:06:42 MST Print View

Really? Just getting yours today? Must be the customs thing...... ;-)

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: New 'Compact' Trailstar on 02/23/2013 15:53:10 MST Print View

Between that and the Mini, you made the right choice.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: New 'Compact' Trailstar on 02/23/2013 15:57:42 MST Print View

"Between that and the Mini, you made the right choice."

What choice? He's going to leave the compact Trailstar set up and use it as a garage for the Mini.....

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: New 'Compact' Trailstar on 02/23/2013 16:08:32 MST Print View

Of course. The basis for all UL. Multiple use items.

What else can the Mini be used for? Portable fish tank?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: New 'Compact' Trailstar on 02/23/2013 16:10:58 MST Print View

"What else can the Mini be used for?"

As a garage door opener for a Hummer.

Edited by idester on 02/23/2013 16:11:29 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Re: New 'Compact' Trailstar on 02/23/2013 16:11:07 MST Print View

Easier logistics. Stash it away in your pack and when you're done hiking, drive off into the sunset.

Might need a McHale pack though, to carry the bit extra weight.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New 'Compact' Trailstar on 02/23/2013 18:18:51 MST Print View

I wonder if it would fit in a bear canister?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New 'Compact' Trailstar on 02/23/2013 18:43:42 MST Print View

It's actually required below the Mason-Dixon Line.

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
mini on 02/23/2013 19:14:09 MST Print View

Is this a product they are offering or a prototype?
I assume this is a new MLD offering?

Can we have some context for those out of the loop?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: mini on 02/23/2013 19:25:50 MST Print View

Sorry Peter, the Mini car. Mike is buying one.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Inside Jokes on 02/23/2013 19:30:39 MST Print View

Ahh, BLP. Virtual bar for the tent-obsessed.

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
ahhh on 02/23/2013 19:40:50 MST Print View

You had me all excited there, I just ordered a Cricket tarp... Trailstar looks too big, I thought a mini trailstar is just what I need.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: ahhh on 02/23/2013 23:42:56 MST Print View

Peter...I misunderstood. The Mini we were referring to is the car but MLD IS making a smaller version of the regular Trailstar. I don't think it has a name yet but Mike did just receive it....

Mld

Brendan Howe
(weeman) - MLife
Compact Trailstar pictures on 03/03/2013 20:49:14 MST Print View

Any luck with photo's of your "compact" trailstar?

I have one on order with MLD and am keen to see any user pictures and feedback on the shelter.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Compact Trailstar pictures on 03/03/2013 21:17:08 MST Print View

I don't see a compact Trailstar offered on the site Brendan, or do you mean the cricket tarp?

Brendan Howe
(weeman) - MLife
Compact Trailstar on 03/03/2013 21:26:11 MST Print View

Its not an official product yet, however if you ask Ron nicely he will make one for you.

Same design as the normal trailstar however scaled down so it is about 15% smaller. I only ever plan on using it solo so the standard Trailstar was a bit big.

The compact Trailstar should have all the same wind shredding benefits as it's bigger brother with a slightly lower weight and packed size.

I first read about it on the Hiking In Finland blog showing all the new vendor products for 2013. I don't think there are any reviews out yet, and I was surprised to read someone has already received the shelter considering the long wait times with MLD.

Pretty sure the picture on the post above has the normal Trailstar on the left and compact Trailstar on the right.

Edited by weeman on 03/03/2013 21:28:56 MST.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Compact Trailstar on 03/04/2013 00:46:59 MST Print View

Will you post your impressions when you receive it? I would love to hear all about it. A couple of weeks ago I inquired about buying one and was told they were not available, but "maybe in spring" it would be possible to get one. Have been watching for an announcement or something ever since, but haven't seen anything.

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
Mini Trailstar on 03/04/2013 09:13:39 MST Print View

I just ordered a Cricket Tarp a few weeks back... Now I'm thinking I maybe should change my order to a Trailstar or perhaps a mini-Trailstar if possible. I want something very wind and weather-proof. Are there any cricket users who want to weigh in? I'm tall, and I'm afraid the Cricket may be a bit cramped if I get held down by weather for a day or so.

The Trailstar seems to be a pretty storm-proof shelter by the accounts I've read... can the Cricket hold up on a rough night?

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Re: Mini Trailstar on 03/04/2013 10:40:47 MST Print View

I'd also be interested in a comparison of Trailstar/Mini-Trailstar and Cricket. Looking for a new shelter, and these two are the top choices so far. I've been lucky enough to encounter very little bad weather, so absolute storm-worthiness is less of a concern for me.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Mini Trailstar on 03/04/2013 10:42:33 MST Print View

I would go with the Mini Trailstar over the Cricket because the former is simply a smaller version of the regular Trailstar and will have better wind and poor weather performance.

Having said that, if you are taller than about 5'10" according to Ron, the regular Trailstar would be the way to go.

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Locale: UK
Entrance of Compact in common pitch method on 03/04/2013 12:03:15 MST Print View

Something I've not seen discussed - Entrance height.

In the UK photos I've seen, most seem to use the 'storm' pitch. Using a centre edge tieout on one side as an apex.

This looks roughly to make an entrance hole the shape of an equilateral triangle. Which I'll use for my example.

A 7' edge used as 2 sides of such a triangle will give a vertical height a fraction of an inch over 3'

A 6' edge used in the same fashion will give a vertical height of just under 2.6'

i.e. an entrance 0.4' or 5" less height.

I think this would be a problem for me.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Well.. on 03/04/2013 12:47:49 MST Print View

A tent/tarp setup is my choice.

i.e. Tent fly that can be pitched with or without the inner tent.

That way you can use the fly as a tarp if desired, such as for lunch & rest during a driving rain.

** The TRAILSTAR tarp loses way too much useable floorspace for my liking. The sides are not vertical enough.

In fact the Tarptent Notch fly would be a much better choice for useable floorspace in a tarp (defining a tarp as a single wall, floorless shelter).

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Mini Trailstar on 03/04/2013 13:50:40 MST Print View

"Having said that, if you are taller than about 5'10" according to Ron, the regular Trailstar would be the way to go."

I'd agree. Pitched to the ground, even at 5'8" I think it's best to kant the internal pole a bit and lay your sleeping pad sideways instead of against the back to avoid having your bag touching any part of the tarp.

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Re: Entrance of Compact in common pitch method on 03/04/2013 13:57:38 MST Print View

Doh - Just seen the photo on page 1 comparing compact with original

compact trailstar

answers my question - crawl ( even lower than with the standard TS) to get inside?

Edited by MoleJ on 03/04/2013 14:48:46 MST.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
New 'Compact' Trailstar on 03/04/2013 14:45:36 MST Print View

Detailed long term Cricket review.

http://tramplite.com/2013/02/mld-cricket-review.html

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: New 'Compact' Trailstar on 03/04/2013 14:52:11 MST Print View

I am not sure why anyone would go for the Cricket tarp over the SoloMid.

Mole J
(MoleJ) - F

Cricket on 03/04/2013 15:01:03 MST Print View

< I am not sure why anyone would go for the
Cricket tarp over the SoloMid.

Cricket has more sheltered entrance overhead? ( harder to get in and out of though...)

I had a solomid for a while. So small that rain comes straight down in on you when the door is open. Cricket has that beak.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Re: Mini Trailstar on 03/04/2013 16:07:52 MST Print View

Dave U says:
"Having said that, if you are taller than about 5'10" according to Ron, the regular Trailstar would be the way to go."

Well, I'm 5' 2", so I don't have to worry about being too big for my shelter! The regular Trailstar would be comically large for just me, and I'm pretty sure I can't talk any of my hiking buddies into sharing it, because it's not a fully enclosed tent. Often I end up camping in locations that require you to use designated sites, and sometimes they are not very large, especially when you have 2 or 3 tents sharing one. For that reason also, smaller would be preferable.

Dave U says:
"I am not sure why anyone would go for the Cricket tarp over the SoloMid."

One thing I dislike about my current tent (an old Sierra Designs LightYear CD) is that I can't see out of it when I'm inside. That's why I'd go for the Cricket over the SoloMid.

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
New 'Compact' Trailstar on 03/04/2013 16:25:21 MST Print View

+ 1 to J Mole. I have always been put off the Solomid, because even in rain with no wind it looked like I would need to have the door shut.

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
Cricket to Trailstar on 03/05/2013 00:01:17 MST Print View

Ron changed my order to Trailstar instead of Cricket... I was having some doubt based on weather and my height, now I have both covered. I went with Gray Silnylon.
I can't wait to try it out.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Re: Entrance of Compact in common pitch method on 03/05/2013 00:19:00 MST Print View

The 2' 6" entrance height could be difficult for a tall person, I imagine. I, however, am short enough to go through that entrance by duck-walking (I just measured!), which has to be easier than getting into the tent I have now. Plus, my understanding is that it's possible to bring the front corners in slightly, creating a steeper and taller entrance. I've also read that someone kept a small sheet of plastic film at the entrance, and simply unrolled it so they could crawl inside without touching the wet ground. It seems like there are various ways of working around the low door height.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Re: New 'Compact' Trailstar on 03/06/2013 10:05:14 MST Print View

Jason Elsworth says:
"Detailed long term Cricket review.
http://tramplite.com/2013/02/mld-cricket-review.html"

Thanks for the link! I finally read the review and it was excellent. I've searched quite a bit and was able to find very few reviews of the Cricket. I hadn't seen this one. It's made me think that perhaps a Cricket tarp would be a good choice for me.

Maybe some of you could give me a reality check with this. I've never used a tarp before so I can't draw on personal experience. My thinking is that neither the mini-Trailstar nor the Cricket requires a water-resistant bivy underneath, as they both offer good protection from rain on their own. I would use some sort of light ground cloth to minimize dirt and moisture on my gear. And I don't relish sharing my bed with ants and ticks, so my plan is to use a bug bivy (with a full mesh top) and suspend the head end from one of the mitten hooks inside the shelter. Then, if I want more space for changing clothes, etc. I can unclip the bivy and just sit on top of it. Does this sound like a reasonable setup?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Cricket on 03/06/2013 10:57:35 MST Print View

"I had a solomid for a while. So small that rain comes straight down in on you when the door is open. Cricket has that beak."

If you pitch the Cricket low enough during a storm (i.e. blowing rain), unless you are the aforementioned 5'2", you are going to have to snake to get into it and even then, still not be protected from blowing rain. I am a little confused by the comment because if you unzip the door on the SoloMid to the same height as the Cricket 'awning' then the entry / exit will be the same as will rain ingress.

The SoloMid is also a 4 season shelter, which is nice.

Horses for courses, I guess but the comment about views was kind of funny. One could just leave the door open on the SoloMid.

Of course, the better way would be to just buy the Tarptent Notch fly which can be purchased separately.

rowan !
(romonster) - M

Re: Cricket on 03/07/2013 09:05:31 MST Print View

Dave U says:
"Horses for courses, I guess but the comment about views was kind of funny. One could just leave the door open on the SoloMid."

It isn't about views at all. It's just that when I can't see at least a little of the outside world I feel rather claustrophobic.

If, as other people have said, a lot of rain comes inside a SoloMid when the door's open, it seems like that wouldn't be very practical. Suppose you go to sleep with the door open and it rains during the night. This might be ok if you're someone who'd wake up at the first raindrop, but I'd probably not wake up until I was completely soaked and freezing.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Cricket on 03/07/2013 09:08:37 MST Print View

"Suppose you go to sleep with the door open and it rains during the night. This might be ok if you're someone who'd wake up at the first raindrop, but I'd probably not wake up until I was completely soaked and freezing."

Yes, then the SoloMid is definitely not for you. Of course if you experience blowing freezing rain, the Cricket won't be for you either.

Mental note: Remember to close off shelter at night lest I wake up in a pool. I kid, of course.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Cricket on 03/07/2013 10:01:37 MST Print View

"If, as other people have said, a lot of rain comes inside a SoloMid when the door's open, it seems like that wouldn't be very practical. Suppose you go to sleep with the door open and it rains during the night. This might be ok if you're someone who'd wake up at the first raindrop, but I'd probably not wake up until I was completely soaked and freezing."

When I had a Cricket I had a triangular door made of cuben so I could clip it up to help with windblown rain, FWIW.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Cricket on 03/07/2013 10:02:35 MST Print View

"When I had a Cricket I had a triangular door made of cuben so I could clip it up to help with windblown rain, FWIW."

Bingo, Stinky.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Colorado Foothills
Cricket "door" on 03/07/2013 10:37:54 MST Print View

Doug - Who made the cuben door for you? I had something similar for a while for the TrailStar made by OookWorks, but I wound up never needing it and sold it on. Now my Cricket tent is in the production queue, I'm wondering if I could source something similar domestically at a reasonable price.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Cricket "door" on 03/07/2013 10:42:39 MST Print View

I believe Chris Zimmerman made it for me, he was doing a lot of one-off stuff for me back then.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Re: Re: Cricket "door" on 03/07/2013 11:16:03 MST Print View

Much appreciated, Doug. You had the cuben Cricket, didn't you? Tramplite seemed to think the silnylon versions are easier to pitch low. That's what I have on order, so my hope is I won't need anything extra. It's always good to know who might be willing to help out with a custom job, after I've used it for a while.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Cricket "door" on 03/07/2013 11:17:29 MST Print View

"You had the cuben Cricket, didn't you?"

There was a sil version? :-)

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Sil, huh?! on 03/07/2013 11:19:21 MST Print View

Touche

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Back on track on 03/07/2013 11:22:50 MST Print View

Has anyone seen our Dundonian correspondent lately? A little tease is one thing, but this thread's been in search of an update from its originator for about 10 days now. How's the shortarse TrailStar working out?

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Back on track on 03/07/2013 12:15:01 MST Print View

He's been a little busy testing the limits of his Mini:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5-w7H5Duyw

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Re: Re: Back on track on 03/07/2013 12:33:07 MST Print View

Look Mum, no airbags.

From the title I was hoping to see a few Moggie Minors go airborne along with the minis, but I had to settle for a couple of totalled 2200s.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: Cricket "door" on 03/07/2013 12:53:00 MST Print View

Stuart, if you have need of a rain skirt, ZPack's cloudkilt should work as a door, providing the dimensions are suitable. Otherwise, you could probably rig up something from polycryo pretty easily and cheaply.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Cloudkilt as a door on 03/07/2013 14:47:26 MST Print View

Hi William, many thanks for that suggestion. I checked out Joe's site and see he's set up the Cloudkilt to be used as a beak on tarps, although not for the Hexamid. I'll take some measurements once I receive the Cricket and see if it might be a fit.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Re lack of info on 03/09/2013 08:47:11 MST Print View

After my initial post, it was suggested to me that Ron didn't want too much info released until the new shelter was up on the site. As i'm a MLD fan, i don't want to step out of line.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re lack of info on 03/09/2013 08:48:48 MST Print View

Nuts. I was just about to order 1,856 of them.

; )

Quite frankly I am more interested in the Mini Cooper. Have you received it yet?

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Re lack of info on 03/09/2013 08:58:15 MST Print View

That's a reasonable request, Mike. I suspect Ron doesn't have the deep pockets that Patagonia has to pay off overenthusiastic bloggers :-)

I still want to see if it's possible for a Moggie Minor to muster enough speed to go airborne, though.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Re Cooper 'S' on 03/09/2013 08:59:51 MST Print View

I was quoted a delivery time of 6-8 weeks Dave. I ordered it 3 weeks ago.
Other folk have told me they were quoted the same delivery time, but received it after 4 weeks. :-)

My perfect choice of trim will probably take the full 8 weeks.