November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Specsmanship in backup batteries
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nathan Hays

Locale: San Francisco
Specsmanship in backup batteries on 02/22/2013 16:42:29 MST Print View

I just bought an Anker Astro 5600 mAh backup battery. It powers devices via a standard 5V USB port. However, it does not have 5v X 5600 mAh = 28 Wh of joules. It has 3.7v X 5600 mAh = 20.7 Wh of joules. That's 26% fewer electrons than advertised.

The 3.7v comes from the battery technology used inside, and doesn't even include the efficiency of the DC-DC converter (probably 85-90%) needed to boost 3.7v to 5v.

I looked all over their website, but never found the true Wh, only the mAh of the Li-Poly battery inside. Some manufacturers I've seen do list the true Wh capacity of their products.

If I ever start a business selling electronics for the field, you can be sure I will be more informative as to what you can actually expect from my products.

victor larivee
(vlarivee) - MLife

Locale: white mountains
true on 02/22/2013 16:52:36 MST Print View

Its would be nice to have the additional specs but I do think anker makes a great product. Love mine for traveling