Forum Index » GEAR » Coffee - carry a mug?

Display Avatars Sort By:
spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Tea flask on 02/21/2013 17:43:53 MST Print View

I use a Nalgene flask (safe for hot liquids) with the insulating sleeve and cap/cup removed. The cozy is made of fun foam. 2 oz total for bottle, cap, and cozy. Liquids stay at a good temp surprisingly long, and it fits in my hip or chest pocket if I want to sip while I hike.

Something nibbled on it a few trips ago and I haven't made a new cozy yet.
tea flask

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Tea flask on 02/21/2013 18:11:39 MST Print View

I have one almost the same as this, but with a wider-mouth cap. The narrow mouths can be difficult to pour into, and they freeze easier.

Still, you want to keep this in a size that can fit within your jacket so that it stays moderately warm from body heat.

--B.G.--

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Re: Tea flask on 02/21/2013 18:20:28 MST Print View

Pouring was a problem until I tried a Coghlan's fuel funnel (0.4 oz). It has that little brass filter that also catches the leaves so I don't need a separate steeper.

Reggie Garrett
(regarrett) - M

Locale: Lost in the mountains
Recycled yogurt containers, etc. on 02/21/2013 18:26:10 MST Print View

I use a recycled plastic container. Actually, I have many different sizes. Yogurt containers, margarine containers, etc etc etc. Before I found Reflectix I made a form fitting bubble wrap sleeve for them, then taped it on with silver flue tape. Very lightweight, lid snaps on tight, keeps java hot for a long time, etc.

I store my java, tea bags, etc inside while I'm mojoing down the trail.

Ken Bennett
(ken_bennett) - F

Locale: southeastern usa
Re: Coffee - carry a mug? on 02/21/2013 18:29:09 MST Print View

I just use my SP 700 mug for coffee in the morning. I'll heat water for oatmeal or grits, then add a little more and heat that for Via. If I hike with my wife, we bring the SP 900 and the 700, and use them both for coffee.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Ti mugs on 02/21/2013 19:01:16 MST Print View

"Just curious for those that are using ti mugs...why? They're expensive and heavy. What am I missing?"

One of those unexplainable things. I really like my little double-wall ti cup. Perfect size for a dram of scotch in the eve. Perfect size for a small, potent cup of joe in the morn. And I don't consider 1.6 oz. heavy by any means. Heavier than yours. Sure. But not heavy.

"I would like to get a double-wall Ti mug, but they are single purpose and really expensive-- and not all that light. "

Mine's double purpose, single malt at night and coffee in the morning... ;-) As far as expensive, that never really factors in to my purchase decisions.

Daniel Russell
(Superfluous_Grizzly)

Locale: Creation
HDPE Coffee cup/bowl on 02/21/2013 19:01:50 MST Print View

I use any plastic container made out of HDPE, recycling symbol #2, because it is the most stable of food grade plastic. It is also lighter than PP (symbol #5) and single wall titanium. It is cheap, if not free (rummage around someones recycling and you'll be sure to find one.. hell you probably have a container in your kitchen). It will not burn your lip from heat transfer like titanium will (no need for "hot lips"). It won't leech chemicals just from boiling water. It will not dent or break like other plastics/styrofoam.

These are virtually everywhere.
Nalgene makes a version that is made of UVPE which, with the benefits of HDPE, has an added benefit of keeping UV rays from deteriorating a substance stored inside.

Edit: My modified Nalgene cup weighs 24 grams and holds two cups of water. This cup has the measurements listend in ml/oz also, which is nice.

Edited by Superfluous_Grizzly on 02/21/2013 19:04:17 MST.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Coffee - carry a mug? on 02/21/2013 19:02:36 MST Print View

You're asking a potter....

On the last few trips I've been carrying a stoneware mug by a Japanese potter whose work I like. It was a gift to me from a Japanese ceramics student of mine. Yes, it's clay. No it's not UL. No, it's not practical by most people's standards.

But coffee is more enjoyable in it. Everything is more enjoyable when consumed from a nice piece of clay.

Certain objects are mere objects. Others are an expression of an idea, of a personality, a sentiment held when they were made. When I drink out of a cup made by an artist I admire, I think of that person, of how their hands shaped the work, of where they were when they made it. I'm drinking with them, in a sense. If it was a gift, I can think of the person who gave it to me. I like being connected to people and objects in this way.

I will often rotate cups/bowls made by other artists with my own. I have to use and enjoy my own work as well. Certain cups pass the test, others don't.

For a while I was also carrying the Mysterious Kupilka that showed up on my doorstep one day. A kind, anonymous person sent it to me as a gift. I still have fun using that cup; it has a history, a life, a bit of a story.

I encourage everyone to bring a little art into their life; function is not everything.

Edited by xnomanx on 02/21/2013 19:07:51 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Coffee - carry a mug? on 02/21/2013 19:37:11 MST Print View

Very cool, Craig.

-----------------

"Just curious for those that are using ti mugs...why? They're expensive and heavy. What am I missing?"

Well, as stated before, I use one because it is also my pot. My 3-season cookpot, mug, and stove weigh under 3.5 ounces.

But Craig up there has an uncanny ability to make me WANT to carry heavy stuff into the backcountry. :)

Edited by T.L. on 02/21/2013 19:40:26 MST.

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: Coffee - carry a mug? on 02/21/2013 22:35:54 MST Print View

Awesome @ Craig W. One of the best things I've read in a long time.

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Art on 02/22/2013 09:04:17 MST Print View

Art doesn't have mean anti-UL.
I enjoy bringing art when backpacking, but I limit it to Bauhaus and keep it multi-use:-)

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Coffee - carry a mug? on 02/22/2013 09:15:08 MST Print View

I agree, Craig, clay cup is best. Warms up my hands without burning them.

But, I just hate carrying an extra pound.

Edward Zwibel
(YetiEddie) - MLife

Locale: Sunny San Diego
+1 for Craig on 02/22/2013 09:21:26 MST Print View

Great post. Always appreciate your point of view. I wish I could do coffee. Can't live without it at home, but early AM before a hike I get flushed and totally stoned on coffee about 15 minutes into my exit from camp. I might be tempted to prolong an evening by the bushbuddy with a coffee and Jack Daniels however.... Stylistically much less attractive then Craig's art. For me, a +1 on the Starbucks cup. Paper one, doesn't mind bending in the pack and holding tough for a weekend. And then you can burn it.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Coffee - carry a mug? on 02/22/2013 09:30:32 MST Print View

"Certain objects are mere objects. Others are an expression of an idea, of a personality, a sentiment held when they were made. When I drink out of a cup made by an artist I admire, I think of that person, of how their hands shaped the work, of where they were when they made it. I'm drinking with them, in a sense. If it was a gift, I can think of the person who gave it to me. I like being connected to people and objects in this way."

Wow! I really enjoyed reading this. My grandfather was an accomplished artist; I have wonderful memories of him taking us to the woods with watercolors or charcoal. My daughter has fortunately inherited his talent and we are planning backpacking trips to areas where we can plop down with a sketch pad and enjoy some quality time.

I enjoy a rucksack flop, a nice breeze, and a good book. Not everything can be measured by weight and some luxury items are worth breaking UL protocol.

Back to the OP, my nesting system from outside-in: Pot Cozy, Ti Pot, Gatorade bottle cut to size. If I'm freezer bag cooking then keep the bag in the cozy and my pot is my mug. If I'm enjoying a soup, I'll put the soup in the Gatorade cup and the cup into the cozy once again leaving the pot as my mug.

Steve Meier
(smeier) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
+1 on the kupilka on 02/22/2013 11:53:02 MST Print View

Great thread to see what others are doing. And great post by Craig W.

I spent a long time and a lot of money to get a pack weight down below 10 lbs and then thoughtfully added some things back for additional safety, comfort, or just because.

I started using a kupilka for my cup of joe in the morning and after dinner, just because. It feels nice in my hands and feels like it has some heritage to it, unlike the titanium, sil and cubin I am carrying when I hike. It's an easily justified 2.7 oz for me.

http://www.champaignsurplus.com/rugged_outdoor/kupilka-classic-cup.html?gclid=CJaF0YjKyrUCFckx4AodKzwAIw

Edward Jursek
(nedjursek@gmail.com) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Coffee on 02/22/2013 17:43:46 MST Print View

I use a SP Ti Mini Solo cook set. I heat the water for drinks and meals in the pot and drink my coffee and booze from the cup. The set has served me well for the last 5 or 6 years.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
+1 on the kupilka on 02/22/2013 18:22:33 MST Print View

+2 Kupilka, Fun to say too.

John Abela gifted me the shot glass sized one at the GGG. Excellent for single malt.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Plastic Fantastic on 02/22/2013 18:31:36 MST Print View

I use a UL plastic cup that came in my Scout mess kit 35+ years ago and includes free measuring graduations on the inside. The rest of the kit is long gone, but this piece is perfectly-sized, has high-utility and is comfortable to hold and sip from with hot liquids in it. The newer, red ones that are out there are even lighter.

Morning coffee in the High Sierra
I've been using the Trader Joe's instant coffees that come creamed and sugared. It's not as good as our home-roasted brews, but it's fast, light and cheap.

Gregory Stein
(tauneutrino) - F

Locale: Upper Galilee
Cola can cup on 02/23/2013 11:37:34 MST Print View

I'm using DIY cola can cup. It's amazingly easy to make (just cut the top with regular can opener). I made cozy for it from microfiber sheet. The cup is 25 gram, the cozy is 5 gram. The cup is obviously 330ml and with cozy holds hot drinks better than anything else I've tried!

When I brake one or lost, I make another one :)