Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Re: Re: 12" of snow on 03/11/2013 12:33:27 MDT Print View

What a pack of snobs.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 12" of snow on 03/11/2013 12:34:26 MDT Print View

Look up the Huron Mountain Club.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 12" of snow on 03/16/2013 06:21:30 MDT Print View

2 inches of snow fell last night and its 24F here in Mid Michigan, last St. Patricks day it was 74f, it was 9F in Musing overnight.

Might still be bringing winter kit next weekend.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Any other takers? on 03/17/2013 09:16:08 MDT Print View

Weather is *supposed* to be very nice.

We plan on doing low, causal milage and/or setting up a base camp probably around Chapel Rock area.

$5 per person/per night permit required.

Don't miss out on this trip as winter won't be here for much longer!

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 03/17/2013 11:00:07 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 06/17/2013 19:58:07 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: re:Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/17/2013 11:07:51 MDT Print View

Rog,
Thanks, I'll check into that. Here's the wording on the website; I wonder if the park lets most winter backpackers just go free.

-------------
Regulations
Backcountry camping regulations are different for winter. However, a backcountry permit is required year-round. The fee is $5 per person, per night ($15 reservation fee).

A snow depth of 6 inches or more is required for winter camping rules to take effect.
Winter camping is permitted in drive-in campgrounds without charge.
Winter camping is permitted off park roads beyond a distance of 100 feet.
Use of stoves is required - campfires are not permitted unless you build them in fire rings in developed front or backcountry sites.
Winter camping is permitted beyond 100 feet of a creek, river or lake.
Overnight camping in parking lots is not permitted.
---------------------

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
re:Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/17/2013 11:51:27 MDT Print View

Stop it! It's killing me watching this and not able to go:-)

Looks like there's still about 50 inches of snow up there (likely less next to the lake) with more snow forecast thru Wednesday and little or no thawing in the forecast.

And bluebird days forecast for the weekend ... must ... stop .... lurking ...

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: re:Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/17/2013 11:54:28 MDT Print View

Jim,

You are doing yourself an injustice looking at the thread, you need to hit that stop watching thread button ;-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: re:Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/17/2013 11:56:20 MDT Print View

Peek-a-boo, Jim!

Ok, that's mean. I'm sorry.

Edited by T.L. on 03/17/2013 11:59:24 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: re:Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/17/2013 12:02:34 MDT Print View

You are a bad man Travis.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 12:39:54 MDT Print View

I spoke with a park official today. Permits ARE required, but only one per group.

But now that I am typing this, I forgot to ask if each person still needs to pay the $5 per night.

At any rate, since it looks like I'll get up there a bit earlier than others, I can pick up the permit. We can meet at Chapel Road directly. If I need to pay for everyone, it will end up being $10 per person for the weekend.
-------------

On another note, since it looks like just Stephen and I are going (and our respective lovelies) we've worked out many details off the boards. If you're interested in coming along, please send either Stephen or I a PM. We'd love to have you!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 12:51:27 MDT Print View

Don't forget Tim is coming also :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 16:39:21 MDT Print View

Looks like the area will be getting another foot of snow.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 16:59:12 MDT Print View

Yeah, places up there are being modeled with up to 50-75 inches on the ground. Those depths look to be south and east of where we'll be.

If the reports are true, where we'll be will have 30-40 inches, which is the most I've ever seen.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 17:14:37 MDT Print View

Looks like snow shoes will definitely be the order of the day.

I am going to wait until tomorrow to decide what kit to bring.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 20:09:23 MDT Print View

My wife has been watching crap on the TV all night so it drove me up to the gear room to start getting kit ready for weekend.

Have some tough decisions to make

Hillie Soulo vs Trailstar and Bivy.
Winter bag and lighter insulated clothing vs 20f bag and medium weight insulated clothing.
Aquamira vs Steripen.
1.25ltr, 1 ltr or 850ml pot.
Pack Googles or not.
Satphone or plb (or both)

Joshua B
(leukos) - F

Locale: Chicagoland
Missed out on 03/25/2013 17:20:06 MDT Print View

I guess I missed out on this one. Looking forward to hearing how it went!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Missed out on 03/25/2013 17:24:51 MDT Print View

Hi Joshua,

That's a shame, we will be organising another one later in the year.

We had a great time, as there was still 3 feet of snow on the ground we used snow shoes.

I didn't have my camera but I am sure Travis will post some photos.

Cheers,

Stephen

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Missed out on 03/25/2013 20:13:30 MDT Print View

Joshua,
Bummer man! Yeah, Stephen and I met for the first time, and along with my wife and another fellow, we all had a great time. At least I thought so. :) I've never backpacked in snow this deep, and it was a good learning experience.

Keep and eye out for gatherings in the Midwest. There are some folks from Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin that occasionally try to plan something. The most active group, at least for meet-ups, is the Michigan contingent, and their trips are mostly taken in the U.P.

I'll be getting some photos up at some point, so check back within the next few days.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Teaser Photo on 03/26/2013 12:10:08 MDT Print View

Here is a teaser photo showing the sign for Chapel Rocks campsite.