Forum Index » Hiking Partners / Group Trip Announcements » Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Display Avatars Sort By:
rOg w
(rOg_w) - F - M

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 02/27/2013 14:29:49 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 06/17/2013 19:54:07 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/27/2013 14:39:24 MST Print View

Cheers Rog,

All good information there mate.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/27/2013 15:02:50 MST Print View

Folks,

Some interesting info here,

http://www.nps.gov/piro/planyourvisit/wintercamping.htm

Dana Sherry
(dsherry) - M

Locale: Mi Upper Peninsula
route ideas on 02/27/2013 17:24:32 MST Print View

Stephen-
Chapel Rd is plowed to within about 3 miles of the parking area. If you didn't want to deal with shuttles you could start/end here, with a side trip to spray falls. I think this is similar to what Ike did. I'll be skiing this route this sat, so I could give you any current info you need. The Chapel loop is the better cliff section, but fun can be had towards twelvemile as well. The cliffs taper off and twelvemile starts at coves campsite. It's kinda neat being inland behind a dune out of the wind.

Since you have 2 vehicles a shuttle is easy, and as mentioned you could start at Miners castle rd and come out at chapel road. Miners is plowed to within a few miles of the lake. You'd have to ask at the desk, I forget if it's 2 miles or 4 miles.

tip of the Keweenaw

And just to wet your appetite the above pic is from a weekend trip to the tip of the Keweenaw. It was outstanding and something I'll post here next yr for others to join.
Dana

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Huron Mountains on 02/27/2013 17:33:05 MST Print View

Not to get too off topic, but I'd like to hike the Hurons. Dang uber-rich own those though.

Thanks, Dana. Cool picture!

I think we should bring a toboggan and really do the Log Slide in a proper fashion. "Hey guys, watch this!!"

Edited by T.L. on 02/27/2013 17:37:20 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 18:08:19 MST Print View

Travis,

You can toboggan down log slide yourself ;-)

Dana,

That is for that info, we will definitely be picking your brain close to the time

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 19:10:08 MST Print View

You can toboggan down log slide yourself ;-)

Heck no! You're all coming with meeeeeeeeeeee!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 19:13:17 MST Print View

I will bring my life jacket so :-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 20:14:06 MST Print View

Stephen, you disappoint. Every ultralighter knows that an inflatable air mattress should be dual used as a life vest instead of carrying a separate one. Sheesh. Can't teach these Irish anything.

:)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 20:38:45 MST Print View

And if I stick a frisbee on my hiking pole I have a paddle ;-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 20:43:06 MST Print View

Yesssss! :D

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
directions on 02/27/2013 23:09:47 MST Print View

Yes if the directions are that you are going north out of Milwaukee on 41 I got that and it will be no problem to meet in Milwaukee. Could use some advise on snow shoes vs cross country skis as I have no idea what the trail and terrain are like. I have skis but no snow shoes or micro spikes... yet

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: directions on 02/28/2013 06:26:24 MST Print View

Hi Mark,

I am a novice as skier and could ski the flat parts with a pack but the black diamonds would mess me up so snow shoes for me.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: directions on 02/28/2013 07:37:39 MST Print View

The Michigan folk will know better than I about skis up there, but I remember the trail being good for skis in some parts and good for snowshoes on others. My wife and I have an easy decision to make. We only have snowshoes! (And some Yak Trax we're borrowing if there's a big melt off, but that seems unlikely)

Mark, I don't have a huge car (Subaru 09 Legacy), so keep that in mind with extra gear. I plan on bringing a cooler for food to grill after the hike which you're welcome to use as well, and we'll have our packs. We should be fine if I don't overload the car with stuff. Pack less, be more....pack less, be more...pack less, be more..........

Edited by T.L. on 02/28/2013 07:42:14 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: directions on 02/28/2013 07:50:01 MST Print View

Thats what I remembered also Travis.

Lets plan to snow shoe.

At work now but will reply properly later .

Edited by stephenm on 02/28/2013 07:52:46 MST.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
extra gear on 02/28/2013 08:00:07 MST Print View

I was planning on everything fitting in my pack other than snowshoes or skis which are sounding like a bad idea. I'm sure you have an rei in Milwaukee I hear rei rents snowshoes

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: extra gear on 02/28/2013 08:03:23 MST Print View

If my wife is not coming (if its cold she wont) I can bring a spare set of snow shoes.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: extra gear on 02/28/2013 08:04:02 MST Print View

We do have an REI, Mark.

I think they're $12 a day to rent. If you'd like, I can pick some up during the day on that Thursday before.

Stephen posted while I was. I guess we'll play it by ear!

So far, it's my wife and I, Stephen and possibly his wife, and Mark. Have we heard from Ike or Rog? Jim from Minnesota was another possibility too, right?

Edited by T.L. on 02/28/2013 08:05:50 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: extra gear on 02/28/2013 08:09:52 MST Print View

I am sure Rog cannot come, not sure about Ike.

It sure would be nice if they would come along.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: extra gear on 02/28/2013 08:12:17 MST Print View

>It sure would be nice if they would come along.

+1

Stephen/Mark, are you planning on bringing extra gear for show-and-tell? I don't have much, but I can bring a few things, assuming I have room.

Stephen, you've got a Hilleberg, right? Wouldn't mind seeing one of those in person if not too much a bother.

Edited by T.L. on 02/28/2013 08:17:43 MST.