Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Display Avatars Sort By:
Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/21/2013 08:19:43 MST Print View

The two Michigan Misfits, Ike Jutkowitz and Stephen Mullen, kept having their own private party up there in the Upper Peninsula. I wanted in. Stephen was kind enough to extend an invitation to me, and plans have developed.

Stephen and I would like to extend that invitation further to anyone interested. Dates are solid.

Where: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Exact meetup location TBD.
When: March 22-24. Exact meetup time TBD, but since everyone will be driving a bit, we were thinking lunchtime.
Why: Because we can.

Details:

Many of the details aren't hashed out yet, but here's what we're thinking. We meet around lunch on Friday. Hike and camp the next day and a half, keeping miles moderate to allow for socializing. Arrive back at the car Sunday late morning where we want to tailgate and maybe oogle some gear.

Anyone is welcome! Contact either Stephen or I for more details, which will also appear here as they develop.

Edited by T.L. on 02/21/2013 08:21:05 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/21/2013 08:54:00 MST Print View

sounds interesting ... mode of travel? (when on trail)

If it works out I'd be traveling there on Thursday (7 hr drive) so I'd be wide open on Mar 22 meetup time

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/21/2013 08:57:00 MST Print View

Jim, trail travel will depend on snowpack. I don't own skis, so it will either be on foot or snowshoe. Or on someone's shoulders because the snow is icky and wet.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/21/2013 09:01:02 MST Print View

Nice one Travis :-)

Its really going to be a crapshoot with the snow conditions.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/21/2013 09:10:23 MST Print View

Oh, and wives/husbands/SOs are welcome. Mine is coming.

Edited by T.L. on 02/21/2013 09:21:08 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/21/2013 09:19:31 MST Print View

My wife will come along if it not too cold.

:-)

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/21/2013 11:18:06 MST Print View

Jim, trail travel will depend on snowpack. I don't own skis, so it will either be on foot or snowshoe.

Sounds good. I also don't ski.

That late in March could be in seasonal transition ... thawing on top of frozen ground ... could be "interesting" :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/21/2013 11:24:15 MST Print View

I do Ski but I am crap at it, I would definitley be packing Micro Spikes.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
GGG upper midwest on 02/21/2013 14:31:38 MST Print View

Travis would you have room for a passenger if I met you guys in route also what's moderate mileage I have skis but its been awhile

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: GGG upper midwest on 02/21/2013 14:48:58 MST Print View

Moderate milage... something in the rage of 3-4 miles on the half days and 6-8 miles on the full day. But that's not set in stone. I think some of that will have to be worked out the day of because the weather will dictate some things, including where we meet.

You got yourself a ride if you can make it to Milwaukee. There's a very small chance that we'd take off the night before and camp somewhere in between, but that's a very small 'maybe.'

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: GGG upper midwest on 02/21/2013 15:04:36 MST Print View

That mileage sounds fine if my wife is coming along :-)

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F

Locale: rogwilmers.wordpress
deleted on 02/22/2013 20:38:06 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 06/17/2013 19:53:00 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/22/2013 21:03:51 MST Print View

Thanks for the tip Rog. Hope you can make it!

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

micro spikes on 02/23/2013 10:04:21 MST Print View

Are these a good idea for this trip maybe I should pick some up depending on weather/ ice conditions???

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: micro spikes on 02/23/2013 12:22:11 MST Print View

Mark, I dunno about the spikes. If necessary, we're borrowing some inferior Yak Tracks to use.

If you're still wanting to car pool for part of the trip, how possible is it to leave later Thursday night and camp in one of the forests up there?

This makes for a long Thursday, but a better Friday. And more camping!

Edited by T.L. on 02/23/2013 12:29:19 MST.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

microspikes: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 12:27:40 MST Print View

Are these a good idea for this trip maybe I should pick some up depending on weather/ ice conditions???

That's hard to say. Current snow depths make it look like it'll be hard to thaw all that in the next 4 weeks ... but it happened last year in less time.

I just saw a forecast for "not an early spring" ... but forecasts that long are not so reliable.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 12:45:50 MST Print View

Hi Rog,

It would be great if you could make it.

All,

Regarding Micro Spikes, Rog and I hiked the same trail last March and there was no snow at all,
I take the forecast in Michigan with a pinch of salt, I was on a trip a few weeks ago and the temps where forecast
at +5f and it turned out to be -13f

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 13:12:18 MST Print View

take the forecast in Michigan with a pinch of salt

I hear ya on that, last winter while picking up a backcountry permit at Porcupine Mtns SP we were advised that "we've been known to get multiple foot snowfalls when no snow was in the forecast".

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 13:16:08 MST Print View

I most definitely will be packing my Winter sleeping bag and pad and bringing Spikes and maybe snow shoes.

Its probably will be better if it snows as it mean Winter camping rules come in to place and we can camp anywhere oppose to one of the sites, but the sites are nice also.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 13:31:17 MST Print View

Yeah, the sites are pretty nice.

I'm hoping for a solid one-or-the-other scenario. Either hurry up and get warm, dammit; or give me a nice, winter trip. None of this 34F and slushing trips.

My gut feeling is that it will stay pretty cold through March. Last year was quite a fluke.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 14:02:29 MST Print View

I hear you on the 34f slush trips, that reminds me too much of back home walking to school.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 14:16:52 MST Print View

I hear you on the 34f slush trips

Travis could demonstrate sleeping in his packraft?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 14:18:44 MST Print View

Most definitely

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 14:22:17 MST Print View

For some single malt. Or beer.

2t

Edited by T.L. on 02/23/2013 14:28:17 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 14:28:32 MST Print View

Nice one,

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 14:40:09 MST Print View

I did take a nap in my packraft once. On water.

During my Isle Royale trip, we had to cross one of the inland lakes. It was a clear sunny day, and the wind was blowing in the EXACT direction we needed to go. So, I set my watch timer for 15 minutes, just to be safe, and laid back for a nap. Totally worked.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/23/2013 14:48:40 MST Print View

I have often taken naps while sailing :-)

Dana Sherry
(dsherry) - M

Locale: Mi Upper Peninsula
trip on 02/25/2013 06:40:32 MST Print View

I may be in- gotta talk with the wife about who gets to play that wkend.
As for snow, last yr was completely unseasonable, so we can't really compare. My family slept on the beach on St Patty's day in 70 deg temps (here in Mqt).
Plan on crust-walking conditions; mushy late day, refreezing overnight. I'll be taking skis (read:fast). so it would be good to have another skiier along. I am close by so shuttle options are available if we wanted to do a point-point.
Dana

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: trip on 02/25/2013 06:50:58 MST Print View

Cheers Dana,

It would be great to have you along.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

More snow on 02/27/2013 13:24:30 MST Print View

A little more than three weeks away. Looks like the park got a bunch of snow. Total snow depth on the ground right now is modeled to be about 30-40", according to NOHRSC.

No more details as of yet. Stephen, you got anything?

Things will start to take more shape the week before.

Mark, did my last PM make sense to you about directions?

Edited by T.L. on 02/27/2013 13:31:06 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: More snow on 02/27/2013 13:36:55 MST Print View

Nothing on my side Travis, do you have snowshoes?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: More snow on 02/27/2013 13:40:11 MST Print View

Yep. Just got some tails for my MSR Denali's.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: More snow on 02/27/2013 13:43:19 MST Print View

I have got 30$ Meijers ones, I am wondering if I need to buy some decent ones.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: More snow on 02/27/2013 13:50:11 MST Print View

I got super lucky with mine. I was at REI one day earlier this winter and walked by the Used gear section. Low and behold, there were TWO pairs of Denali's for $40 each. Nothing wrong besides some normal corrosion on the crampon teeth. They're only 18", so I got some 8" tails for mine.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More snow on 02/27/2013 13:51:56 MST Print View

Nice one :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More snow on 02/27/2013 13:59:13 MST Print View

My cheapo ones should be fine as we are doing low mileage.

Dana Sherry
(dsherry) - M

trip on 02/27/2013 14:00:39 MST Print View

My wife has an event to attend that is only 2x /yr so I'll have to bow out for this event. I'll get more active on the forum and try to get in on the next one. Looking forward to the trip report!
Dana

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: trip on 02/27/2013 14:08:01 MST Print View

See you at the next event Dana.

As we will have folk coming from both sides of the UP we will be able to leave a car at about sides of our route.

Could you recommend which would be the best 12-15mile section of the trail?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: trip on 02/27/2013 14:15:51 MST Print View

Bummer, Dana! Hopefully next time.

Stephen, Ike gave me some good suggestions on routes, but I'd like to hear if Dana has some good ideas also.

I've got a USGS topo map of the park, which includes the back roads. Between Dana and Ike's suggestions, I'll take a close look at some good plans and contingencies and post them at some point.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: trip on 02/27/2013 14:19:49 MST Print View

Spot on Travis,

I have the maps on View ranger and I hiked the route last year with Rog.
Its mainly to figure out where we can leave cars.

Edited by stephenm on 02/27/2013 14:23:21 MST.

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F

deleted on 02/27/2013 14:29:49 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 06/17/2013 19:54:07 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/27/2013 14:39:24 MST Print View

Cheers Rog,

All good information there mate.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 02/27/2013 15:02:50 MST Print View

Folks,

Some interesting info here,

http://www.nps.gov/piro/planyourvisit/wintercamping.htm

Dana Sherry
(dsherry) - M

route ideas on 02/27/2013 17:24:32 MST Print View

Stephen-
Chapel Rd is plowed to within about 3 miles of the parking area. If you didn't want to deal with shuttles you could start/end here, with a side trip to spray falls. I think this is similar to what Ike did. I'll be skiing this route this sat, so I could give you any current info you need. The Chapel loop is the better cliff section, but fun can be had towards twelvemile as well. The cliffs taper off and twelvemile starts at coves campsite. It's kinda neat being inland behind a dune out of the wind.

Since you have 2 vehicles a shuttle is easy, and as mentioned you could start at Miners castle rd and come out at chapel road. Miners is plowed to within a few miles of the lake. You'd have to ask at the desk, I forget if it's 2 miles or 4 miles.

tip of the Keweenaw

And just to wet your appetite the above pic is from a weekend trip to the tip of the Keweenaw. It was outstanding and something I'll post here next yr for others to join.
Dana

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Huron Mountains on 02/27/2013 17:33:05 MST Print View

Not to get too off topic, but I'd like to hike the Hurons. Dang uber-rich own those though.

Thanks, Dana. Cool picture!

I think we should bring a toboggan and really do the Log Slide in a proper fashion. "Hey guys, watch this!!"

Edited by T.L. on 02/27/2013 17:37:20 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 18:08:19 MST Print View

Travis,

You can toboggan down log slide yourself ;-)

Dana,

That is for that info, we will definitely be picking your brain close to the time

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 19:10:08 MST Print View

You can toboggan down log slide yourself ;-)

Heck no! You're all coming with meeeeeeeeeeee!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 19:13:17 MST Print View

I will bring my life jacket so :-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 20:14:06 MST Print View

Stephen, you disappoint. Every ultralighter knows that an inflatable air mattress should be dual used as a life vest instead of carrying a separate one. Sheesh. Can't teach these Irish anything.

:)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 20:38:45 MST Print View

And if I stick a frisbee on my hiking pole I have a paddle ;-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks Dana on 02/27/2013 20:43:06 MST Print View

Yesssss! :D

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

directions on 02/27/2013 23:09:47 MST Print View

Yes if the directions are that you are going north out of Milwaukee on 41 I got that and it will be no problem to meet in Milwaukee. Could use some advise on snow shoes vs cross country skis as I have no idea what the trail and terrain are like. I have skis but no snow shoes or micro spikes... yet

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: directions on 02/28/2013 06:26:24 MST Print View

Hi Mark,

I am a novice as skier and could ski the flat parts with a pack but the black diamonds would mess me up so snow shoes for me.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: directions on 02/28/2013 07:37:39 MST Print View

The Michigan folk will know better than I about skis up there, but I remember the trail being good for skis in some parts and good for snowshoes on others. My wife and I have an easy decision to make. We only have snowshoes! (And some Yak Trax we're borrowing if there's a big melt off, but that seems unlikely)

Mark, I don't have a huge car (Subaru 09 Legacy), so keep that in mind with extra gear. I plan on bringing a cooler for food to grill after the hike which you're welcome to use as well, and we'll have our packs. We should be fine if I don't overload the car with stuff. Pack less, be more....pack less, be more...pack less, be more..........

Edited by T.L. on 02/28/2013 07:42:14 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: directions on 02/28/2013 07:50:01 MST Print View

Thats what I remembered also Travis.

Lets plan to snow shoe.

At work now but will reply properly later .

Edited by stephenm on 02/28/2013 07:52:46 MST.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

extra gear on 02/28/2013 08:00:07 MST Print View

I was planning on everything fitting in my pack other than snowshoes or skis which are sounding like a bad idea. I'm sure you have an rei in Milwaukee I hear rei rents snowshoes

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: extra gear on 02/28/2013 08:03:23 MST Print View

If my wife is not coming (if its cold she wont) I can bring a spare set of snow shoes.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: extra gear on 02/28/2013 08:04:02 MST Print View

We do have an REI, Mark.

I think they're $12 a day to rent. If you'd like, I can pick some up during the day on that Thursday before.

Stephen posted while I was. I guess we'll play it by ear!

So far, it's my wife and I, Stephen and possibly his wife, and Mark. Have we heard from Ike or Rog? Jim from Minnesota was another possibility too, right?

Edited by T.L. on 02/28/2013 08:05:50 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: extra gear on 02/28/2013 08:09:52 MST Print View

I am sure Rog cannot come, not sure about Ike.

It sure would be nice if they would come along.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: extra gear on 02/28/2013 08:12:17 MST Print View

>It sure would be nice if they would come along.

+1

Stephen/Mark, are you planning on bringing extra gear for show-and-tell? I don't have much, but I can bring a few things, assuming I have room.

Stephen, you've got a Hilleberg, right? Wouldn't mind seeing one of those in person if not too much a bother.

Edited by T.L. on 02/28/2013 08:17:43 MST.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: extra gear on 02/28/2013 09:10:28 MST Print View

I have two Hillebergs Travis, if Mrs. M is coming I will bring a Kaitum 3, if I am by myself a Soulo is the forecast is bad, if its ok or has thawed a bit I will bring a Trailstar or Tarp Tent Stratosphire 1.

I will either be bringing a Phd Hispar 800 or Wm alpinelite or Ee rev x 20f for sleeping on, And either a brooks range Mojave or Gooses Feet Parka.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Re: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/02/2013 07:47:56 MST Print View

Jim from Minnesota was another possibility too, right?

Yes. I still remain a possibility ... will need to get off the fence soon.

On one hand, it's pushing the limit of where I'm willing to drive.

On the other hand, I really do need to get out.

It'll help if I knew a few more details about route possibilities.

I've never been to Pictured Rocks (have no idea how we missed it on a Lake Superior circle trip we took long ago).

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
re: Midwest hiking on 03/02/2013 14:47:52 MST Print View

Hi guys,
Finally got my March schedule. Hopefully I'll be able to join you for the Friday-Saturday (contingent on wife and kids activities) but not Sunday.

Sounds like Dana's and Rog's suggestions were similar to what Travis and I had talked about. If anyone is interested, the trip report "Anatomy of a 24" was the stretch from Little Beaver Lake to Mosquito, and "Land of Rock and Ice" was a modified version of the Chapel Loop.

Looking forward to (hopefully) meeting you guys.
Merry, Is Pippin coming?

Ike

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: re: Midwest hiking on 03/02/2013 15:25:57 MST Print View

Nah Ike the other hobbit can't come that weekend, but I will ensure to bring plenty of good cheese :-)

Thats great you can make it mate.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: re: Midwest hiking on 03/02/2013 16:43:19 MST Print View

Good news, Ike!

(who's Merry and Pippen?)

Jim,
There are several route possibilities, and I think we just have to figure out how far people want to hike. It might be a good idea to have 2-3 options in case of weather issues.

I'm good for anything, but wouldn't mind covering a bit of ground to see different things.

Edited by T.L. on 03/02/2013 16:57:50 MST.

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F

deleted on 03/02/2013 21:26:39 MST Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 06/17/2013 19:55:55 MDT.

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Colorado Foothills
Merry and Pippin on 03/02/2013 22:09:57 MST Print View

Somehow I don't think Si would ever be mistaken for a hobbit.

I see Pippin was wearing the condom. Did he insist on a cooked lunch after 2nd breakfast and elevenses? Or was that just a way to pace himself at higher altitudes?

Need a Shire folk reunion in Colorado this year. Further south and west than last September, though.

Wish I could join you all for the GGG, but my season won't start till after April 15th.

Edited by lotuseater on 03/02/2013 22:14:19 MST.

Dana Sherry
(dsherry) - M

trip planning on 03/03/2013 07:18:31 MST Print View

sea cave a few hundred ft east of chapel rock

Another teaser for your trip planning, and to get people on board. Skiied the chapel loop yesterday. Thanks to a recent storm delivering 50mph windgusts, the cliffs have the best ice I've ever seen there. If you want to see more pics , search me on FB. Really, truly spectacular ice. You gotta see this.

Sea cave is a few hundred ft east of chapel rock.

Edited by dsherry on 03/03/2013 07:19:59 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: trip planning on 03/03/2013 08:02:39 MST Print View

That's bad ass, Dana. I hope we get to see similar things.

Mark Ries
(mtmnmark) - M

I gotta back out on 03/03/2013 09:55:40 MST Print View

After seeing Dana's picture this is hard to do and I really don't want to back out. I have a eleven year old grand daughter that's only been on one short bp trip with me. We've camped a bit kayak ride dirt bikes go country dancing and now have a really crappy band going but this year I think we need to start backpacking a lot more. I've been feeling guilty since I said I would go on this trip. She's growing up way to fast. Thanks for the offer

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: I gotta back out on 03/03/2013 16:15:15 MST Print View

Hi Mark,

That's a shame you won't make, hopefully we will get to meet up some other time.

Hi Dana,

That is one bad ass photo alright as Travis says.

Travis,

At a trip before Xmas Rog and Ike were amazed by how much food my buddy Simon and I consumed, that how the name a hobbits came up.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: I gotta back out on 03/03/2013 17:44:49 MST Print View

Hi Mark,
'Tis a bummer you can't come, but we'll all probably still be backpacking for a long time to come, and Pictured Rocks isn't going anywhere. An 11-year old, however, doesn't stay that way very long. Go make some memories with her!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Hobbits on 03/03/2013 17:47:18 MST Print View

LOL, you guys!

You all do look quite hobbit-ish in the sense that you're all quite happy in the picture presumably taken around meal time.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Hobbits on 03/03/2013 17:54:21 MST Print View

That was second breakfast :-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Hobbits and a plan on 03/03/2013 20:46:07 MST Print View

Here's what I'm thinking....

Its pretty well agreed on where the best scenery is. Since we all have to stop at the Visitors Center to check in/register/whatever, why don't we all meet there, get the most recent and accurate road condition report, and decide where exactly to go then. We can then take a break for elevensies, get to our designated parking spot, and then have lunch. Hit the trail, and soon stop for second lunch.

Now, when do you all want to meet? The wife and I are driving up Thursday late and finding a place in the Hiawatha NF to crash. Already scoped out some Google images. That plan is still open for change though. At any rate we'll be able to meet anytime Friday morning.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Hobbits and a plan on 03/03/2013 21:12:55 MST Print View

Sounds good to me SeƱor funk.

I would be expecting to get there about 1pm but as I am taking the day off work anyway am tempted to go Thursday as could be there at 8pm. It will have to see.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Hobbits and a plan on 03/04/2013 08:27:13 MST Print View

Stephen,
If you decide to leave Thursday night, we could meet you early Friday for breakfast. Just a thought.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Hobbits and a plan on 03/04/2013 09:25:37 MST Print View

That would be cool Travis,

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

I'm off the fence: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/05/2013 22:17:36 MST Print View

The decision's been made for me ... grand grandson's first birthday celebration will be on the 24th. Wouldn't miss that even if I could get away with it.

Enjoy the trip, I'll look forward to a report.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: I'm off the fence: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/06/2013 07:02:20 MST Print View

Ok, Jim, have some cake for me!

Hopefully next time...maybe a Porcupine Mt. trip?

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: I'm off the fence: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/06/2013 07:20:05 MST Print View

Stephen,
Are we pretty much waiting to see what the weather does to find out if your better half will be coming along?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: I'm off the fence: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/06/2013 07:50:10 MST Print View

Thats it Travis, she did make a comment the other day she may enjoy having the house to herself.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm off the fence: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/08/2013 19:01:52 MST Print View

Love the new Avatar Trav :-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm off the fence: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/08/2013 19:12:34 MST Print View

Ha! Thanks Stephen.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm off the fence: Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/08/2013 19:17:01 MST Print View

That would make a deadly Tshirt, another one could be "no I don't bloody Facebook"

Stuart .
(lotuseater) - M

Locale: Colorado Foothills
T-Shirt on 03/08/2013 19:21:48 MST Print View

"Bloody" being the operative word, if I remember most scenes that Samuel Jackson appeared in. Great backstory on how the film came about, and who fought who for parts here: http://www.vanityfair.com/online/oscars/2013/01/pulp-fiction-oral-history-quentin-tarantino

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: T-Shirt on 03/08/2013 19:26:43 MST Print View

Actually Stephen, it is a graphic of a T shirt you can buy!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: T-Shirt on 03/08/2013 19:34:24 MST Print View

Pulp fiction has to be one of my all time favourites.

Bring out the UL gimp ;-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: T-Shirt on 03/08/2013 19:43:57 MST Print View

Eenie, meenie, miney, moe...

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: T-Shirt on 03/08/2013 19:48:59 MST Print View

Whose motorcycle is this?
It's a chopper, baby.
Whose chopper is this?
It's Zed's.
Who's Zed
Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: T-Shirt on 03/09/2013 18:35:04 MST Print View

Travis,

The Mrs will come along if its not too cold and we are setting up a base camp.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: T-Shirt on 03/09/2013 19:20:59 MST Print View

Cool. Do you want to hike in to a neat, scenic spot?

Was going to pass on bringing a few good brews, but if we're base camping, I may still do that.

Any idea when you're arriving?

Assuming the weather is "bad" but not dangerously so, are you still game?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: T-Shirt on 03/09/2013 20:23:26 MST Print View

Hiking in to a scenic spot suits me fine mate as would carrying in some decent booze.

I say we would aim to get there for lunch time on the Friday afternoon as trying to find somewhere for a sneaky camp on the Thursday might be a pain in the proverbial, and don't want some red neck whispering sweet nothing in my ear at 3am.

I may turn back if I pass Noah's Ark on the the motorway but otherwise count me in :-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: T-Shirt on 03/09/2013 21:32:00 MST Print View

Sounds like we got ourselves a plan!

Are you and your lovely both meat eaters? I'd love to grill out once.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: T-Shirt on 03/09/2013 21:36:20 MST Print View

We have been known to eat the odd half pig or cow :-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

12" of snow on 03/11/2013 09:20:22 MDT Print View

Looks like the UP is getting another dumping of snow. It's been an active late winter!

I still prefer it to be decisively below freezing at this point. Less sloppy.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: 12" of snow on 03/11/2013 10:39:38 MDT Print View

Nice one, its supposed to get colder next week but I think the long range forecast is a magic show.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Re: 12" of snow on 03/11/2013 11:45:02 MDT Print View

... still lurking here due to jealousy:-)

I'm a bit color blind ... is HOHRSC saying the snowpack is 40-50 inches deep up there?

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: 12" of snow on 03/11/2013 11:53:58 MDT Print View

Thats about right Jim :-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: 12" of snow on 03/11/2013 12:32:40 MDT Print View

And in the Hurons, they're looking at 50-75 inches. But nobody is allowed there because the rich people own all that land.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: 12" of snow on 03/11/2013 12:33:27 MDT Print View

What a pack of snobs.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 12" of snow on 03/11/2013 12:34:26 MDT Print View

Look up the Huron Mountain Club.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 12" of snow on 03/16/2013 06:21:30 MDT Print View

2 inches of snow fell last night and its 24F here in Mid Michigan, last St. Patricks day it was 74f, it was 9F in Musing overnight.

Might still be bringing winter kit next weekend.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Any other takers? on 03/17/2013 09:16:08 MDT Print View

Weather is *supposed* to be very nice.

We plan on doing low, causal milage and/or setting up a base camp probably around Chapel Rock area.

$5 per person/per night permit required.

Don't miss out on this trip as winter won't be here for much longer!

rOg w
(rOg_w) - F

deleted on 03/17/2013 11:00:07 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by rOg_w on 06/17/2013 19:58:07 MDT.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: re:Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/17/2013 11:07:51 MDT Print View

Rog,
Thanks, I'll check into that. Here's the wording on the website; I wonder if the park lets most winter backpackers just go free.

-------------
Regulations
Backcountry camping regulations are different for winter. However, a backcountry permit is required year-round. The fee is $5 per person, per night ($15 reservation fee).

A snow depth of 6 inches or more is required for winter camping rules to take effect.
Winter camping is permitted in drive-in campgrounds without charge.
Winter camping is permitted off park roads beyond a distance of 100 feet.
Use of stoves is required - campfires are not permitted unless you build them in fire rings in developed front or backcountry sites.
Winter camping is permitted beyond 100 feet of a creek, river or lake.
Overnight camping in parking lots is not permitted.
---------------------

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

re:Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/17/2013 11:51:27 MDT Print View

Stop it! It's killing me watching this and not able to go:-)

Looks like there's still about 50 inches of snow up there (likely less next to the lake) with more snow forecast thru Wednesday and little or no thawing in the forecast.

And bluebird days forecast for the weekend ... must ... stop .... lurking ...

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: re:Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/17/2013 11:54:28 MDT Print View

Jim,

You are doing yourself an injustice looking at the thread, you need to hit that stop watching thread button ;-)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: re:Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/17/2013 11:56:20 MDT Print View

Peek-a-boo, Jim!

Ok, that's mean. I'm sorry.

Edited by T.L. on 03/17/2013 11:59:24 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: re:Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on 03/17/2013 12:02:34 MDT Print View

You are a bad man Travis.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 12:39:54 MDT Print View

I spoke with a park official today. Permits ARE required, but only one per group.

But now that I am typing this, I forgot to ask if each person still needs to pay the $5 per night.

At any rate, since it looks like I'll get up there a bit earlier than others, I can pick up the permit. We can meet at Chapel Road directly. If I need to pay for everyone, it will end up being $10 per person for the weekend.
-------------

On another note, since it looks like just Stephen and I are going (and our respective lovelies) we've worked out many details off the boards. If you're interested in coming along, please send either Stephen or I a PM. We'd love to have you!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 12:51:27 MDT Print View

Don't forget Tim is coming also :-)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 16:39:21 MDT Print View

Looks like the area will be getting another foot of snow.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 16:59:12 MDT Print View

Yeah, places up there are being modeled with up to 50-75 inches on the ground. Those depths look to be south and east of where we'll be.

If the reports are true, where we'll be will have 30-40 inches, which is the most I've ever seen.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 17:14:37 MDT Print View

Looks like snow shoes will definitely be the order of the day.

I am going to wait until tomorrow to decide what kit to bring.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Permits are Required/ Last Call on 03/19/2013 20:09:23 MDT Print View

My wife has been watching crap on the TV all night so it drove me up to the gear room to start getting kit ready for weekend.

Have some tough decisions to make

Hillie Soulo vs Trailstar and Bivy.
Winter bag and lighter insulated clothing vs 20f bag and medium weight insulated clothing.
Aquamira vs Steripen.
1.25ltr, 1 ltr or 850ml pot.
Pack Googles or not.
Satphone or plb (or both)

Joshua B
(leukos) - F

Locale: Chicagoland
Missed out on 03/25/2013 17:20:06 MDT Print View

I guess I missed out on this one. Looking forward to hearing how it went!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Missed out on 03/25/2013 17:24:51 MDT Print View

Hi Joshua,

That's a shame, we will be organising another one later in the year.

We had a great time, as there was still 3 feet of snow on the ground we used snow shoes.

I didn't have my camera but I am sure Travis will post some photos.

Cheers,

Stephen

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Missed out on 03/25/2013 20:13:30 MDT Print View

Joshua,
Bummer man! Yeah, Stephen and I met for the first time, and along with my wife and another fellow, we all had a great time. At least I thought so. :) I've never backpacked in snow this deep, and it was a good learning experience.

Keep and eye out for gatherings in the Midwest. There are some folks from Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin that occasionally try to plan something. The most active group, at least for meet-ups, is the Michigan contingent, and their trips are mostly taken in the U.P.

I'll be getting some photos up at some point, so check back within the next few days.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Teaser Photo on 03/26/2013 12:10:08 MDT Print View

Here is a teaser photo showing the sign for Chapel Rocks campsite.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Photos (will add more later) on 03/26/2013 12:29:05 MDT Print View

grj

fhtkj

ty

r67o

etyk

e5yk

tui;

tuio;

t7il

fyjo

uop

rtyk

dtl

dtyk

dtyk

srtj

adg

cgn,

xghm

guk.;

cghj,

gkj.

Edited by T.L. on 03/26/2013 12:44:37 MDT.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Photos (will add more later) on 03/26/2013 12:32:59 MDT Print View

That pack makes me look fat.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: Photos (will add more later) on 03/26/2013 12:46:54 MDT Print View

In the last photo, look right in front of my feet and you can see how far I shoved my poles into the snow.

(I'm on the left)

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Photos (will add more later) on 03/26/2013 13:23:47 MDT Print View

Very nice Travis :-)

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
nice on 03/26/2013 13:28:10 MDT Print View

Looks like you guys had a great time. Sorry I missed it.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Re: nice on 03/26/2013 20:30:23 MDT Print View

Travis,

Mrs M loved the photos, I especially like the ones of my yellow Trailstar and the snow kitchen.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Re: Re: nice on 03/26/2013 20:35:55 MDT Print View

Glad she liked them! I really thought I got a better photo of the snow kitchen.

That seems to happen a lot. I get home and am expecting certain photos, but I never actually took them!

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Trailstars in the snow on 06/14/2013 18:19:13 MDT Print View

Just came across this photo on my phone.1