Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: Used Duomid pole

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
WTB: Used Duomid pole on 02/21/2013 07:48:28 MST Print View

Ditched trekking poles for good, need a center pole for my 'Mid.

I want to start here and see if I can go cheap before seeking a full price solution from Ruta. I'm trying to pinch pennies here people...

Any one have any aluminum or carbon Duomid poles they can spare?

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: WTB: Used Duomid pole on 02/21/2013 07:56:19 MST Print View

Did you get rid of the trekking poles? If not, and you want to go cheap, why not just 'trim one down' and carry it as your Duomid pole?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: Re: WTB: Used Duomid pole on 02/21/2013 09:00:38 MST Print View

Poles are gone Doug. I have a pair of cheap aluminums I've been holding onto I could possibly hack together.

I need portability. Whatever solution I arrive at will have to fit inside my bike's frame bag.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
WTB: Used Duomid Pole on 02/21/2013 09:15:32 MST Print View

I have a old Golite center pole for the Hex which is in great condition but ways 13oz. I have used it with my Duomid and is very secure but a bit heavy.

PM ME if interested.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: WTB: Used Duomid pole on 02/21/2013 09:29:15 MST Print View

"I need portability. Whatever solution I arrive at will have to fit inside my bike's frame bag."

Then, as one solution suggestion - go to your local Home Depot/Lowes, they sell hollow aluminum tubes that are used for towel racks and stuff - pretty light and pretty cheap. Buy as many as you need for the height, glue in some sleeves so that you can put them together, and you have a pole.

Also, I might have some carbon fiber rods that could work that I got from Josh some time back that I no longer use. If I can find them and if they're stout enough, I'll ship them your way.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: WTB: Used Duomid pole on 02/21/2013 09:41:57 MST Print View

Thanks Jay, I'll keep you in mind. Weight isn't so much a concern as much as size, if you knew how much my size large steel framed 29er mtb weighs naked for just short rides you'd shudder.

Doug,

What sort of "sleeves" are you referring to? I like where you're going with this MYOG solution.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: WTB: Used Duomid pole on 02/21/2013 09:47:14 MST Print View

"What sort of "sleeves" are you referring to?"

Anything that would provide an extension in one pole that another would slide over to form a 'continuous' pole. Thin aluminum cut and rolled into the proper diameter, perhaps?

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: WTB: Used Duomid pole on 02/21/2013 11:34:14 MST Print View

Heh, awesome .gif. ... "Our daughter's been abducted by one of these beige lunatics!"

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Ruta locura. on 02/21/2013 13:39:39 MST Print View

I made a thread earlier and no luck. I ended up just getting a carbon pole .450. You may need a taller and thicker one for a duo mid.

Will Govus
(willgovus) - F
pole on 02/21/2013 18:44:05 MST Print View

as i also go trekkin pole-less, I've made a several different folding poles for my duomid from different diameter poles i've dumpstered from REI. what length collapsed, how stiff, and what weight are you looking for?

Edited by willgovus on 02/21/2013 18:45:01 MST.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Re: WTB: Used Duomid pole on 02/21/2013 21:20:22 MST Print View

@Michael,

Is the .450 pole up for the task of supporting the Duomid under windy conditions? How is that working out for you so far?

@Will,

My frame bag has roughly 17" of useable length in the bottom to accomodate pole segments. Stiffness? Preferably enough to not flex undesirably under moderate wind loading. Our windy spring season is around the corner.

michael levi
(M.L) - F

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles
Re on 02/21/2013 21:39:25 MST Print View

I would def get the .450 it's super sturdy. I have a 54 inch one.

Charles P
(mediauras) - F

Locale: Terra
Re: Re on 02/26/2013 21:36:00 MST Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=74009