Forum Index » GEAR » Should I be carrying more Dead Birds?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Haha, yup! on 02/24/2013 13:02:08 MST Print View

Konrad,

I'm the worst offender.

-Max

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Tercels on 02/24/2013 13:04:40 MST Print View

All this car talk on BPL is awesome, I've been a car nut for years. I can't think of a single time when a semi blew a car off the road just from normal driving situations. Tercel, Civic, Bee-mah or otherwise. They CAN blow some travel trailers off the road if they're not set up properly or the tow vehicle is not capable enough. In fact, a small Tercel will have a better chance of staying on the road due to its small cross section.

Ryan

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Tercels on 02/24/2013 13:10:01 MST Print View

Ha ha, Ryan. The blow away comment was whether you could pass a semi not a semi literally blowing a car off the road.

Maybe if it was made of Cuben, perhaps.

God, this is the second funniest post I have seen in a while.

Stop it, you experts are killing me.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Alberta's deadly roads on 02/24/2013 13:14:33 MST Print View

That 'pace car' would be the other scooter I was with. I was on a 125cc that could have done 95km/hr but he was on a 50cc so we had to go his speed. And I agree this is funny - life's too short to get all serious.

I've driven all over Calgary, scootered up to Edmonton and been all over that area. I got family in Sherwood park. There's idiots everywhere but safety has a lot more to do with how you're driving that what you drive. I've probably put 100,000 kms on various scooters over the past 9 years.

I'm still riding in Thunder Bay, ON this winter. The cold is more of challenge than dangers on the road. Last week at -28 C (-18 F):
Ruckus

Edited by dandydan on 02/24/2013 13:19:37 MST.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Semi Blow on 02/24/2013 13:15:49 MST Print View

I got literally blown off the road by a jackass with a camper trailer in Maine. I was on a bicycle. Approximately 400 (no exaggeration) tractor trailers passed us on the same highway without speeding or edging us close enough to do the same.

Screw amateurs.

Dan, you and I are kindred spirits. I bike everywhere, all winter. Pay attention, keep your weight centered on turns, and bundle up your hands and face and it might as well be summer! Two wheels and no limits.

Edited by mdilthey on 02/24/2013 13:17:08 MST.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Alberta's deadly roads on 02/24/2013 13:22:58 MST Print View

Dan - studs, I presume. The ultimate fat tired bike!

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Studs on 02/24/2013 13:29:07 MST Print View

Stud's would be nice for those icy days, but I've just got knobbies on there. They're good in the snow/slush but sketchy on ice.
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/tire+duro+offroad+hf910_dur1002

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
back on subject on 02/24/2013 13:31:49 MST Print View

So who wants (correction: NEEDS) to buy my Arcteryx Beta FL shell in the FS forum.

sorry, figured i could slip this in given that this thread has been all over the place already.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Studs on 02/24/2013 13:38:41 MST Print View

No problem passing semis with this scooter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQN0rzTz7P4

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Alberta's deadly roads on 02/24/2013 13:49:00 MST Print View

Dan, what kind of scooter is that?

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Scooter on 02/24/2013 13:59:30 MST Print View

Honda Ruckus

My how far we've drifted.....

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Scooter on 02/24/2013 14:01:29 MST Print View

Still jealous Dan.

I can see it now. My Honda Element as the Mothership, the matching Ruckus rolling out of the back on a ramp...

One of these days.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tercels on 02/24/2013 14:19:41 MST Print View

Haha.

@David - I bought a new camper a few months ago so I've been reading a lot of the camper forums lately. 90% of the talk on those forums are sway, being passed by semi's, etc. so I've kinda got it in the brain right now. Semi's pushing travel trailers off the road can happen pretty easily evidently. You should see some of the carnage when those things flip over.

Either way, all the cars mentioned in this thread are far too underpowered anyway. Regardless, of quality, etc.

Ryan

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tercels on 02/24/2013 14:21:01 MST Print View

"Either way, all the cars mentioned in this thread are far too underpowered anyway. Regardless, of quality, etc."

Now THIS is what I wanted to hear!

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tercels on 02/24/2013 14:27:07 MST Print View

"Either way, all the cars mentioned in this thread are far too underpowered anyway. Regardless, of quality, etc."

I didn't mention that the M5 was modified making about 20% more power than stock. Alas, it's not equipped with a trailer hitch though.

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tercels on 02/24/2013 14:38:05 MST Print View

@Nathan, that gives a new meaning to "hauling the goods."

You don't street race, do you? Eric wanted to know.

Nathan Watts
(7sport) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tercels on 02/24/2013 14:47:03 MST Print View

"You don't street race, do you? Eric wanted to know."

I only street race against semis and scooters. Really though, my wife says I drive like an old man. Car is de-badged, which helps keep the number of "challengers" to a minimum. I've got nothing to prove.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Driving on 02/24/2013 15:17:36 MST Print View

You should see how I drive - 80km/hr seems white knuckle after spending 90% of my time on the scooter @ 55km/hr. My wife gives me a hard time.

Edited by dandydan on 02/24/2013 15:18:11 MST.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Driving on 02/24/2013 15:25:42 MST Print View

Imagine if Arcteryx made cars.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Driving on 02/24/2013 15:29:37 MST Print View

"Imagine if Arcteryx made cars."

Dead Wheels?