Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Winter Firebuilding Techniques (Video)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Re: Fire in the rain. on 02/21/2013 22:10:52 MST Print View

Jerry said:

>And that video is worth less - let's see him keep the fire going for several hours.

Lighten up, Francis.

The technique demonstrated is fully applicable to getting a fire going when everything is soaked but it's not still raining.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: Re: Re: Fire in the rain. on 02/21/2013 23:37:22 MST Print View

James, he was referring to the video I posted, not the video in the main article.

Hamish McHamish
(El_Canyon) - M

Locale: USA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Fire in the rain. on 02/22/2013 18:14:04 MST Print View

>James, he was referring to the video I posted, not the video in the main article.

I know. That's why I posted what I posted.

Justin C
(paintballr4life) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Video on 02/23/2013 17:06:20 MST Print View

Great video, thanks!

Peter (Taking a break)
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Great on 02/25/2013 07:50:45 MST Print View

I enjoy watching your videos, you keep it fun and professional.

Mike Oxford
(moxford) - MLife

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA
Slightly let-down on 02/26/2013 18:13:45 MST Print View

I was expecting "making a fire out of really wet stuff in slightly (or seriously) inclement conditions."

This felt more like "go find some dry wood out of the snow and then bring it back to the snow.
Use a hatchet and knife and saw and Esbit ...

It's not bad advice, but it's something I would have expected from one of the more mainstream sites and not BPL.

*shrug*

samuel smillie
(sam_smillie) - F

Locale: central canada
Right idea but... on 02/26/2013 18:40:28 MST Print View

I would echo what others have said.

I like that a video on technique was provided and I think firebuilding is as good a topic as any. That being said, there are a lot of excellent video series on firebuilding easily available on youtube. It would have been nice if bpl had assessed what was already available to members for free and found a way to present something that would be uniquely beneficial to the membership.

Such as:

-best tarp configurations for cooking with fire under/appropriate positioning of gear, sleeping system, fire and person under said tarp set up.
-strategies for firestarting in winter with only a knife/only UL knife typically carried by bpl members
-strategies for firestarting in damp conditions without the use of carried-in kindling/firestarters ie, no cotton balls, esbit, paper etc, only natural indigenous materials

Fred Gerber
(capnyos) - MLife

Locale: Ohio
Winter fires on 02/19/2014 20:11:45 MST Print View

I'm a K-9 guy. I'll take my buddy along. He's great with

Fred Gerber
(capnyos) - MLife

Locale: Ohio
Winter fires on 02/19/2014 20:14:40 MST Print View

I'm a K-9 guy. I'll take my buddy along. He's great with me in a sleep system. I'm a believer in cotton balls and vasilene. We take very little along, but do take a good knife and cotton balls.