Forum Index » Chaff » What kind of Nunchucks.... Titanium or Carbon fiber?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
What kind of Nunchucks.... Titanium or Carbon fiber? on 02/20/2013 01:23:39 MST Print View

Inspired by the "Gear" thread about backcountry self defence.
I'm in Canada so I can't carry a pistol or assault rifle into the hinterlands to defend my freedom.

I've been looking into alternatives such as Nunchucks.
I'd really like to keep the weight low but am concerned about durability.

Gray wolf has the only pair of "true" titanium Nunchucks I've been able to find, though at $250,000.00 they are out of my budget ranges.

http://www.nunchuckslv.com/nunchucks.htm

These Carbon fibre Nunchucks are rather attractive and light.
CF chucks

What kind of lightweight Nunchucks do you take into the back country?

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: What kind of Nunchucks.... Titanium or Carbon fiber? on 02/20/2013 01:53:18 MST Print View

MYOG bamboo. Hollow so you can store first aid and small kitchen items inside, and an insert so you can attach your cut-off spoon and toothbrush. If you carry two, you can strap them together offset to make a short hiking pole.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: What kind of Nunchucks.... Titanium or Carbon fiber? on 02/20/2013 04:29:18 MST Print View

I have met a backcountry photographer in BC carrying a large revolver for bear protection. Also know a cowboy action
shooter from BC who has a short barreled AR 15 type rifle as well as his old western style stuff. It would probably be cheaper
to get those licenses than a ti nun chuck.

And you likely couldn't bring nunchucks for hikes in the US, unlike guns that you could get a permit for.

I just learned we have 5 new grizzly bear roaming the US side of the border near Trail,

Pepper spray in the grizzly applicator size, is on the shelves at the local feed stores now. That would be my first choice.

Edited by oware on 02/20/2013 04:31:23 MST.

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic Canada
Re: Re: What kind of Nunchucks.... Titanium or Carbon fiber? on 02/20/2013 05:05:20 MST Print View

Pistols and AR 15s are classified as “restricted” firearms in Canada. You can only take them to the range with an “authorization to transport”. It is illegal to take them with you into the woods as “bear protection”.

Bear spray is just as effective in Canada as it is in the USA.

Edited by Sparticus on 02/20/2013 05:05:59 MST.

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Re: Re: What kind of Nunchucks.... Titanium or Carbon fiber? on 02/20/2013 06:16:04 MST Print View

"MYOG bamboo" - Now there is some good multiuse BPL thinking.

How about one of these:

Another idea

Good for chopping wood and defending yourself against rogue Klingons. But then again the Ti-Batliff might be a bit pricey.

Ike Jutkowitz
(Ike) - M

Locale: Central Michigan
Re: nunchucks on 02/20/2013 06:21:15 MST Print View

Nunchucks are so 70s. Who do you think you are, Bruce Lee?

When I'm in Canada and can't pack my assault rifle, I bring this bad boy.

Flail

The shaft is carbon fiber and the head is ti, so weight isn't too bad. The spikes are impregnated with carbide, so it's self sharpening once you've crunched a few skulls with it.

David Olsen
(oware)

Re: Re: Re: What kind of Nunchucks.... Titanium or Carbon fiber? on 02/20/2013 09:37:58 MST Print View

I agree on the pepper spray. However it is possible for some to carry a handgun into some locations if one is willing to go through all the channels.

Most prefer the battle rifle to the assault rifle for large carnivore protection and one may see many Canadians stalking through
the woods each fall bearing such.

Daniel Goldenberg
(dag4643) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwet
Re: Re: Re: What kind of Nunchucks.... Titanium or Carbon fiber? on 02/20/2013 10:26:41 MST Print View

Hi Paul,

I was surprised a few months ago watching this Canadian reality tv show called Yukon Men.

the episode I saw had some guys hunting caribou. A couple of the guys had bolt action rifles but what suprised me was that one of the guys had an AR-15.

http://www.poptower.com/stan-zuray-yukon-men-picture-99987.htm

This is reality tv, so maybe it was fake?

-Never mind!! I think this show actually takes place in Alaska!

Edited by dag4643 on 02/20/2013 10:37:03 MST.

Paul Mountford
(Sparticus) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: What kind of Nunchucks.... Titanium or Carbon fiber? on 02/20/2013 12:51:11 MST Print View

"However it is possible for some to carry a handgun into some locations if one is willing to go through all the channels".

There is a grain of truth in that statement; however, it is very misleading. While it is true that The Chief Provincial Firearms Officer in each province has the authority to issue an open carry permit, they will very rarely do so. It is generally only in very remote locations in the high north and usually to prospectors. They will not issue one to a backpacker who has an unreasonable fear of two or four legged predictors. Hence my statement that it is illegal to carry a pistol while backpacking.

I don't know what you mean by a 'battle rifle', but it is not uncommon in the north and west for some in remote areas to carry non-restricted rifles for bear protection. It is a little different is some provinces like my last home in Nova Scotia. In that province it is illegal to have even a non-restricted rifle in the woods with you outside hunting season.

Lets get back to the serious issue of backpacking titanium Nunchucks.

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
A few interesting finds. on 02/20/2013 12:58:50 MST Print View

Nice camo Nunchucks for stealth 'chucking.

Camo

The link below is a neat tutorial on making your own "Bushcraft Nunchaku".... very cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQlgojQ-wAo

A multi-purpose set, Nunchucks and cord storage in one. That's ultralight thinking right there.rope

Edited by NLslacker on 02/20/2013 13:02:49 MST.

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: west coast best coast
Re: What kind of Nunchucks.... Titanium or Carbon fiber? on 02/20/2013 13:05:54 MST Print View

I am going to assume that the weight of the nunchuks will determine the damage it will cause.

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
Weight vs design. on 02/20/2013 13:11:02 MST Print View

Weight is definitely a factor, but with some outside-the-box thinking it might be possible to get more functionality without the extreme weight hit. Perhaps spare batteries or water could be kept in the handle if it was hollow... thereby using weight you would be carrying anyway. Another possibility is to chain two hatchets together which would greatly save energy by the ability to clear brush and defend oneself at the same time with no wasted effort.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Weight vs design. on 02/20/2013 13:12:06 MST Print View

I bought Nuunchucks. Self defense and electrolyte replacement in one!

Peter Evans
(NLslacker)
Nunchuck gizmo recharger. on 02/20/2013 13:14:11 MST Print View

This may be just the thing... I'm really starting to get excited by the possibilities.power chucks

David Olsen
(oware)

Felony on 02/20/2013 13:30:38 MST Print View

The Canadian I met with a revolver was a photographer.

Nun chucks are illegal to possess in California, a felony. Unless you mean this
Chucks

In CA possessing a concealed handgun without permit and no other
violations is a misdemeanor. IANAL

Edited by oware on 02/20/2013 13:47:47 MST.